Page: 1

'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'

Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#1
Posted: 11/22/08 at 5:42pm
so, i took a trip to Manchester Opera House today and caught the penultimate Footloose. What a fantastic show!

From the shock start of the Overture (i nearly passed out...it was worse than mamma mia!) right until the megamix i smiled non stop! The cast were superb (Rev. Shaw was a little creepy tho) Simon Lipkin in my eyes stood out tho from start to finish.

The set i thought worked really well - very fame 'esque' but none the less it worked well.

One Gripe - Sound. Was pretty bad and most lines were muffled - the band were so loud it was vibrating the seats.

Direction and Choreography by Karen Bruce was amazing and 'Holding Out for A Hero'....well...lets just say i loved it all!!

All in all i had a fab day in manchester and a big well done to the footloose cast!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#2
Posted: 11/22/08 at 6:08pm
Ahh im glad you enjoyed it, and its doing well on tour. I saw it when it had its run at the Novello and loved it, if it comes near here i may have to part with my cash!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#2
Posted: 11/22/08 at 7:00pm
I saw it Monday night in Manchester and really enjoyed it. I agree about Simon Lipkin being the stand out, I thought Jodie Jacobs was great too.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#3
Posted: 11/22/08 at 7:09pm
After checking the programme - Jodie Jacobs was also very good - her and Simon L made a great duo!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#4
Posted: 11/22/08 at 7:09pm
I also saw it Monday. I loved it, although the whole thing was somewhat ruined by the hundreds of 12 year old teenyboppers sitting behind me going insane and screaming at the various cast members of Hollyoaks who were sitting directly in front of me...

I'm a fan of Simon Lipkin anyway and have a tendancy to watch only him, so it's good to hear that he stood out to other people. My family all thought he was great. I though Jodie Jacobs was fab as well, I love her voice. My cousin commented that you can tell she's not a dancer, though I think you would have to be a dancer to notice that!

The sound quality wasn't great and I couldn't understand a lot of what was being said (I put it down to first night problems... they were late starting and we were told this was because they were still doing sound checks).

The only thing I found really really annoying was Stephen Webb's American accent. If I closed my eyes when he was speaking I thought I was at The Wedding Singer, and his accent annoyed the hell out of me in that as well.

Fab show though, great choreography, great singing, great dancing.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Lets Hear It for the Boys!!!'#5
Posted: 11/23/08 at 6:39am
Its a great show and im glad its proving it has a life.I watched it in 2004 when it didn't quite have it right (it was still very much the dreadful Broadway production) and then watched it again with Derek as Ren (the best yet) and last year as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna