Page: 1

CHESS Royal Albert hall

childcatcher2 Profile Photochildcatcher2 Profile Photo
childcatcher2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
CHESS Royal Albert hall#1
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:51am
Does anyone know if/when this is getting a DVD release ?
cheers dahlinks.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#2
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:59am
Darlink! -wasn't there a major problem with the sound on both nights and therefore the likelihood of that DVD getting a release somewhat unlikely? The original plan was that it would be shown by the ABC network in the Us next spring to be followed by the UK release of the DVD and then finally the BBC showing it on UK TV towards the end of 2009. The BBC have kept very quiet about this as I, myself, have been asking around about this. The quality of the recording, as I mentioned above, may have put all of this in jeopardy!
I'm only interested in seeing what Marti Pellow was like after seeing his brilliant performance in 'The Witches Of Eastwick' recently.
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 09:59 AM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#2
Posted: 10/30/08 at 11:26am
There were indeed a major problem with the sound in the Albert Hall, but I put this down to the fact that it may have been optimised for the recording rather than live performance, so hopefully something will be forthcoming. Elaine Paige apparently said on her radio show that the CD should be available around December time, but it's all gone rather quiet. The only other mention is on Tim Rice's website (http://www.timrice.co.uk/chess.html), stating a US broadcast/release date of Spring 2009, but it's not been updated in ages.

After seeing Marti Pellow in Chess I was seriously worried about him taking on the role of Darryl - turned out that my fears were unfounded, but he really wasn't that great as the Arbiter the night I saw it...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 10/30/08 at 11:26 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#3
Posted: 10/30/08 at 11:32am
Interesting what you say about his performance, thats why, after 'Witches', I want to see the DVD.
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#4
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:47pm
He wasn't great as the Arbiter either night.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#5
Posted: 10/30/08 at 5:00pm
I was astounded to read that Chess was planned to be shown on ABC network in the USA, the country which hated Chess, which I believe only lasted 68 apperances, which Frank Rich (NYT) slated, ("the evening has the theatrical consistency of quicksand.")even though the producers had the good will to hold the curtain for him as he was running late. Are we still talking the same show??????
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#6
Posted: 10/30/08 at 6:54pm
The sound was really ****e. But I thought it was mentioned that there was going to be DVD release around Xmas?
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#7
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:40pm
Are we still talking the same show??????

Depends how you define 'same show'. The panned Broadway production was very different to the London (and RAH Concert) version, with many changes made without Tim Rice's consent. Maybe the US (given the chance) will look upon the author's authorised version more kindly... :)

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#8
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:44pm
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall

I agree, the two full stage productions are beyond comparison and should really stay that way if your gonna talk about the concert here.
I think the CD of the Broadway production is pretty fantastic.

Updated On: 10/30/08 at 07:44 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#9
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:40pm
This is interesting that Mama has a big foot in the Broadway production, I know a lot of people are true to the original London production, I also understand that the Sydney show is very good, which brought back the great Sir Tim Rice onboard.

When the RAH concert threads were in full swing I asked the question, "what would be the best Chess CD to buy", a handful of you suggested the Danish production. Before I bought the CD my only knowledge of Chess was 'one night in Bangkok' which I thought was pretty average and the awesome 'I know him so well'.

Well I did buy the Chess CD, I bottled it, at buying the Danish version and bought the original version, and I have listened to the CD a few times and really loved the songs ‘The American’ and ‘Florence and mountain' duet.

What I would say though is that the story is hard to decipher by CD alone and would adore to see the show done again in the theatre, which I probably will never get an opportunity.

Still amazed that Chess is going to be shown on ABC channels, when the show never endeared itself to the American audience, even though the American show was very different, it is not going to have much appeal still.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#10
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:40pm
This is interesting that Mama has a big foot in the Broadway production, I know a lot of people are true to the original London production, I also understand that the Sydney show is very good, which brought back the great Sir Tim Rice onboard.

When the RAH concert threads were in full swing I asked the question, "what would be the best Chess CD to buy", a handful of you suggested the Danish production. Before I bought the CD my only knowledge of Chess was 'one night in Bangkok' which I thought was pretty average and the awesome 'I know him so well'.

Well I did buy the Chess CD, I bottled it, at buying the Danish version and bought the original version, and I have listened to the CD a few times and really loved the songs ‘The American’ and ‘Florence and mountain' duet.

What I would say though is that the story is hard to decipher by CD alone and would adore to see the show done again in the theatre, which I probably will never get an opportunity.

Still amazed that Chess is going to be shown on ABC channels, when the show never endeared itself to the American audience, even though the American show was very different, it is not going to have much appeal still.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#11
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:56pm
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall

The UK recording of 'Chess' is basically just a concept album that was released a year or two prior to the staging of the show.
The album was very well received on release and did very well in the pop charts. This success made speculation high that the two ladies would open in the London premier. Alas, due to many contractual problems with record companies it was only Elaine Paige that opened the show.
The production was dogged by a million problems prior to opening with everyone from original director Michael Bennett thru to cast members abandoning ship.
I'm not alone in wondering how a very mediocre production got such a long run of 3 years in such a huge theatre!

Updated On: 10/30/08 at 09:56 PM
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#12
Posted: 10/31/08 at 12:05am
The Danish recording is brilliant...I liked the concept album, but the Danish one turned me into a crazed rabid fangirl.
If it doesn't get released on DVD, and preferably sharpish, I will go utterly ballistic (mummy reneged on her promise to take me, so has bought me the poster and programme, and promised CD and DVD to make up for it).
childcatcher2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#13
Posted: 10/31/08 at 5:50am
I am currently involved in a big production of it in Glasgow at the end of March in the kings Theatre. Its going to be pretty lavish. If anyone fancies it. Great cast.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#14
Posted: 10/31/08 at 5:58am
Mama, I can't remember who left the original production?

I'm in the Michael Bennett camp on this show, so the further it moved from his concept, the less I like it. Broadway was dull, though the singing is fab.

From what I hear, it is Tim Rice who is pushing this project hard, while the ABBA boys are quite remote. I believe Tim R sank thousands into the Chess concerts.
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#15
Posted: 10/31/08 at 9:49am
Tell me more and I'll be there childcatcher2 re: CHESS Royal Albert hall
I'm in Edinburgh, so not too far away. I think I've got a show of my own on in late March, but I'm sure I'll have one night free
childcatcher2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#16
Posted: 11/2/08 at 6:39am
www.pmos.org.uk
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#17
Posted: 11/2/08 at 5:44pm
It says on the official concert website that it is planned that the concert will be released on CD and DVD in 2009, and to watch this space. I would imagine, as the PBS special is confirmed, it will just be that put on disc with an interview or two.
CHESS IN CONCERT
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: CHESS Royal Albert hall#18
Posted: 11/29/08 at 11:22am
"Anthem" from the concert has been released on Josh Groban's new CD , "A Collection" - and it sounds brilliant, without any of the sound problems we experienced in the RAH on the night.. so roll on the release of the full CD/DVD!