Page: 1

Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#1
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:36pm
to be doing well. 8 months before it opens, the Jude Law production is selling very healthily indeed!

If you dote on the Dane, don't dilly-dally.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#2
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:46pm
Who gets Shakespeares royalties? lol
Bloody hell!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#2
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:52pm
Cliff Richard I think.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one..."

He's not even the only Dr Who to do the role. I saw Christopher Eccleston at the West Yorkshire Playhouse a few years ago.

I don't really get on with Shakespeare and only go under a sense of cultural obligation. The current Merry Wives of Windsor at the Globe is the first time in my theatregoing life that I have actually enjoyed seeing a Shakespeare play.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...

Shakespeare!!! bleeeagh!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/15/08 at 01:33 PM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Scripps, a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you heartily. I tried to watch the film version of ROMEO AND JULIET (the one with Olivia Hussy as Juliet), and fell asleep. However, in 2004, Dame Judi Dench was doing a production of All's Well that Ends Well at the Geilgud, and I was really interested in seeing her perform, so I went, despite my feelings about Shakespeare. I very much enjoyed it -- didn't nod off once. I've since seen Dame Judi in the musical version of THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR, which I enjoyed very very much. If the timing had been right, and if I had been able to get tickets, I would have seen this Hamlet -- and if it does come to NY with Mr. Tennant, I will.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ive tried so many times to sit thru his work in 100s of guises but the only time I've been taken by a production was at 'Richard II' with Derek Jacobi at the Pheonix in the late 80s. I was mesmerized for 3hrs -twice- cos i went back for 'Richard III'
I tried again with great excitment later that year when Dustin Hoffman brought his Shylock to the same theatre- I've shied away ever since.
I read enthralled at posts by dear old Weez who must be the bards number one fan and I love her love of him.
Updated On: 9/15/08 at 01:49 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I... gosh, I probably am the West End board's biggest Bard fan, and certainly seem to bring him up on the rest of BWW more than anyone else. Considering I've not even been a fan for a year yet, I'm quite astonished at how far I've come in that time. XD

He is bloody hard work, I'll grant you that. The only way to get "in" is to find a production that you click with. I'm pretty jealous of everyone who managed to click early on in life, but I'm absurdly proud that my "in" was 'Henry V'. And I'm so happy I finally clicked. :3 If you want my advice (and I'm sure you don't), just keep trying; I mean, I was capable of recognising and enjoying a good production before my click happened, so the trips were hardly a waste of time, just as I'm sure there will be many dull and horrible productions ahead of me in the years to come despite having clicked, so there's really no harm in it.

My logic was that I should just keep trying, because I knew I'd either click one day, or I'd be able to point back at all my trips and say "look, I tried, it didn't work, so let's get over this and move on" if brought to task over it. XD I work the same way I work with Sondheim; I don't necessarily click right away, but I keep going so no one can accuse me of not trying. It took me six months to click with 'Company', two years to click with 'Into the Woods', and I'm absolutely certain that when I finally click with 'Follies', it'll be one of the defining moments of my LIFE. re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...

I lovelovelove that Jamie Ballard and Ben Whishaw - two acclaimed young emo Danes - are doing a play together at the moment. I like to imagine that early rehearsals were filled with endless soliloquy-based humour and obscure Danish injokes. re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...

I need money, I need to book the rest of the Donmar West End season NOW. Although seeing as 'Hamlet' will be a summer affair, I suppose I don't mind the idea of queueing up for day seats so much. I ain't bloody doing it for Tennant's 'Hamlet' in the dead of winter, I can tell you that!

I don't think I had an overall narrative stream for this post. Sorry. re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SEE WHAT I MEAN! MENTION HIS NAME AND OOOOOOOFF SHE GOES!
Love ya Weez! x
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A wise old luvvie told me when I was a nipper: most times when an audience doesn't understand Shakespeare, it's because the actor doesn't understand what he's saying.

Worked for me. Wicked, you surely saw Des B's Comedy of Errors? I have never laughed so much, ever.

My favourite recent experience was David Bradley's awesome, savage and stately Titus Andronicus at Stratford.

As Derek Jacobi said (and yeah, I loved the Renaissance Richard II as well), "it's all in the mouth, my dear."
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#10
Posted: 9/15/08 at 2:59pm
whos Shakespeare ....was he in Wicked?
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#11
Posted: 9/15/08 at 4:52pm
was he not the dude that wrote Miss Saigon?
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#12
Posted: 9/15/08 at 4:57pm
Don't be stupid, he was Prisoner 24601 in that French thing on Shaftesbury Ave! :P
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#13
Posted: 9/15/08 at 4:58pm
Do you mean Piaf?

oooo Les Mis! how silly of me!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#14
Posted: 9/15/08 at 5:03pm
The only time I have *ever* liked Shakespeare?

When I watched "Slings & Arrows," a Canadian TV series set at a Shakespeare festival. And even then I liked the rehearsal and direction scenes more than the actual performances.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#15
Posted: 9/16/08 at 1:22pm
Exedore! How can you possibly write an objective American look at London Theatre if you dislike Shakespeare? re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...

"I knew I'd either click one day."

I thought I'd clicked two weeks ago at The Merry Wives of Windsor but then I read in the programme that this comedy is very untypical Shakespeare, so I think the jury-in-my-mind is still out.

And it's not for the lack of trying: Robert Lindsay in Richard III (incongruous); Northern Broadsides' Henry V, which I was assured would be my clicking moment and wasn't; WYP doing MacBeth with the same set they used for Singing in the Rain (justification: Macbeth is a "memory" play and "memories last longer in water").

Weez: Follies clicked with me when I got hold of the original 1971 script and read it. Follies without that is watered down and has much less of an impact on the audience.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#16
Posted: 9/16/08 at 1:42pm
Not a massive Shakespeare fan having avoided it for many years due to studying it for GCSEs but I have recently been reading Macbeth and am engrossed by it.

Hoping to get 5 tickets for 16-25 for Taming of the Shrew but they're not available online. Do I have to go to the Novello and get them or can I get them via phone?
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#17
Posted: 9/16/08 at 2:37pm
Probably my all time favourite was a King Lear in Leicester with the woman from Theatre de complicite playing Lear 10 or so years ago..I was in tears at the end.
Ed Hall's Propellor are the doing some of the best stuff at the moment.
I still always panic for the firsat few minutes before the brain kicks into the language and I'm away....
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#18
Posted: 9/16/08 at 4:57pm
Was that Kathryn Hunter? She is an amazing actress.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tennant's Hamlet's not the only one...#19
Posted: 9/18/08 at 2:26pm
Thanks..it was.
Her partner (italian type name..Marcio something, something) played the fool, in an amusing, but fairly unintelligible accent.
There were a few odd touches...a hospital trolley, eastenders on a tv, and a soldier in modern fatigues at one point whose entrance did raise a (probably) unintended laugh.
But Kathryn Hunter's performance was the best I've seen