WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#1
Posted: 8/20/08 at 9:22pm
'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979

For Winston.

Queens Theatre, Shaftesbury Ave, London.
Opened Feb 6th 1979. 118 perfs.
First fully staged production, a transfer from The Queens Theatre Hornchurch where it played a 6 week season in Spring 1978.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 09:22 PM
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#2
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:42am
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#2
Posted: 8/22/08 at 5:57pm
How did this compare to the Shaftesbury production? Was it just the staging that differed? Was the cast any good?
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#3
Posted: 8/22/08 at 11:23pm
Ah, I will be happy to answer that question. Finally my knowledge of The Who will finally come to good use for the first and only time lol :).

Tommy had been in many formats other then the original album. The most well known was the movie directed by Ken Russell which was a very freaky movie to watch.

In 1992 Des McAnuff worked with Pete Townshend to create a new version of the musical. This version was different then the one that played at The Queens version for a couple of reasons. The first reason is the orchestrations. Although the music was played at the same volume as a rock concert, the new orchestrations gave the score a more softer and lighter sound. The opposite of the kind of sound one would associate with The Who. Also, the songs were not in the same order as they were on the original album. Thus changing the order slightly.

There was also the addition of a new song written by Townshend for the musical called I Believe My Own Eyes. This song talked about the parent's point of view of what was going on with Tommy. This song had more of a typical musical theatre sound to it then the usual rock sound Townshend was known for writing.

The show first premiered at The La Jolla playhouse in La Jolla California. on April 22nd 1993 the show opened at The St. James Theatre on Broadway. It closed on June 17th 1995 after 899 performances.

The same production had a London transfer on March 5th 1996 and closed Feburary 8th 1997. Technically because the show played in London before (although the differences between this production and the one that played at The Queens are night and day) it was technically considered a revival. Yet, the show was so different then the original production that you could have called it a new production.

Hope this helps.

The scary part is is that I didn't have to look up any of the information i put in this post.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#4
Posted: 8/23/08 at 3:24am
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979

And then who could forget the UK tour from few years ago lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#5
Posted: 8/23/08 at 6:15am
I still love how Townshend gives credit to Keith Moon for aditional music and lyrics even though he never wrote a single song for The Who or for TOMMY for that matter.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Tommy' Queens Theatre 1979#6
Posted: 8/23/08 at 1:56pm
"And then who could forget the UK tour from few years ago lol"

A disappointing anti-climax after the Shaftesbury Theatre production. The guy who played Cousin Kevin (Andy Crawford?) was absolutely brilliant and stole the show - he couldn't have humiliated Jonathan Wilkes more if he'd pulled his boxers down!