Page: 1

GYPSY IN LONDON

Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
GYPSY IN LONDON#1
Posted: 7/21/08 at 1:25pm
I have read teasing comments on this site about a LONDON production of GYPSY.

Please tell me this is true and who is in the frame?
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GYPSY IN LONDON#2
Posted: 7/23/08 at 3:07pm
As far as I know there was only talks nothing more of Patti doing Gypsy at The National. I don't know if this would go to a full West End production considering that the show hasn't had the best of luck in London and it would be a financial risk.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GYPSY IN LONDON#2
Posted: 7/23/08 at 3:54pm
The National would never take this on. If they were and it was next year it would have ben announced by now.
David Ian is the most likely contender to bring this to London and he has already stressed it would be a limited season. There will be a few empty theatres with dark periods between shows early next year so who knows. Its a risk- the show has never been a success in the UK even with Angela Lansbury.
Adelphi. Piccadilly, Palladium all could take a short season.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: GYPSY IN LONDON#3
Posted: 7/23/08 at 6:28pm
It did run for over 300 performances so not a block busting hit and maybe a financial failure (I don't know) so not exactly a flop.It was also critically acclaimed.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GYPSY IN LONDON#4
Posted: 7/23/08 at 7:43pm
re: GYPSY IN LONDON

Today maybe, then certainly not. Such a shame, imagine today -
'Gypsy' Starring Angela Lansbury - Opens Sep 2nd -Piccadilly Theatre.
We can dream.
At least we have the cast recording which is by far the best there is.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/23/08 at 07:43 PM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GYPSY IN LONDON#5
Posted: 7/24/08 at 6:31am
Didn't somebody mention a while back that if this did end up coming over Elaine Paige was rumored for Rose? Not entirely sure how that would turn out if it were true...
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II