'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave! (KIND OF, SORT OF!)

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well it looks like the summers big hit is here- the papers are loving it!
I'm really looking forward to this movie!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/18/08 at 10:24 AM
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#2
Posted: 7/1/08 at 6:57pm
seeing it this fri @ at an exclusive screening - very exciting
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#2
Posted: 7/1/08 at 8:30pm
Wild horses couldn't drag me there.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#3
Posted: 7/1/08 at 9:01pm
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!

Now it will!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#4
Posted: 7/2/08 at 3:31am
Love that!
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#5
Posted: 7/2/08 at 5:45pm
Very sensible Alterego. Trust me ,it is truly dreadful.
NewYorkYankee2006 Profile PhotoNewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#6
Posted: 7/13/08 at 4:19pm
went to see the movie last night and i loved it!!! julie walters was an absolute scream. she is so good in the role of rosie. i was suprised with meryl streep. she is quite a good singer.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#7
Posted: 7/13/08 at 4:33pm
I’ve never heard such a reaction from an audience in a cinema as I did when I saw this a couple of nights ago at the Odeon in Leicester Square. Applause at the end of the songs – yes, that’s right – the songs do build to a cue for applause; this film isn’t ashamed to be a musical. Cheering for costumes, favourite lines, Colin Firth’s contrived gay snog, more applause from those who spotted Benny and Bjorn in their cameo roles (if Anni-Frid was in there I missed her) and even singing-along without any encouragement to so. The film may not be as gay as a pink duster but it was certainly as gay as a yellow one.

I went to this never having seen the stage version but having been impressed by what I’d seen on the various trailers. I don’t know much about films or film criticism either but I think it’s fairly safe to say that you can ignore the reviews of the hacks in the free newspapers etc. If the Director is a novice I can’t tell. The songs are staged unapologetically as though it’s a musical so it does echo styles of film musicals past and that is all part of the great, glorious fun of the piece. There is also loads of visual humour – your eyes have to be everywhere to take it all in. Meryl was great, particularly conveying all her mixed emotions in the title song, Julie manages a career first in not stealing the film, Christine proves she’s the musical comedy stalwart of the three whilst the three guys simply have to be there and look stupid. Dominic sings well enough, does his three minutes of acting very well and looks good if you like that sort of thing (although, naturally, if we do have to have a History Boy in there I’d have preferred Jamie Parker). Skopelos looks fantastic – I hope they’re ready for the inevitable tourist boom.

Criticisms? The choreography could have been better. The guy with Christine Baranski in Does Your Mother Know loves himself a bit too much. And, even if this is one of the better jokebox musicals, the hooks on which the songs are hung are often pretty feeble.

(I've made a similar post on the Off-topic board)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#8
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:13pm
I'm not expecting anything more than a cheesy ABBA fest, which it sounds like I'm getting. My mum's certainly interested in seeing it, so I won't be seeing it myself until early August.

I have already been listening to the soundtrack. Is it Colin Firth that's got a peculiarly nasal '60s-esque singing voice? I can just about accept him singing as long as I remember to myself that John Lennon also was no Paulo Szot. But OH DEAR GOD WHO LET PIERCE BROSNAN SING? 'SOS' is genuinely the second most painful experience I've had this week, the first being when I went on a bike ride for the first time in over a decade and GREATLY overestimated my personal fitness. I've recovered from the bike ride, but Brosnan will live on. re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!

I do love Amanda Seyfried's vibrato. It's just one of those little things that's making me happy this week. :) Thank heaven for the ladies, and it's a good job the men are pretty, that's what I say. ^_^

Dominic Cooper ... looks good if you like that sort of thing

Yes, yes I do. ^_^ Apparently hanging out with dancers was making him feel a bit flabby and unmanly, hence the rather marvellous six-pack. I don't suppose I'd ever want a man with muscle (when would he fit me in between gym visits?), but one'd be nice to play on for a while. ^_^

I like spotting History Boys in things. Doesn't matter what generation, I just like being able to say "look! A History Boy!" to people. re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!
Updated On: 7/13/08 at 05:13 PM
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#9
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:43pm
Caught a matinee today...and i loved it - i still prefer the show (yes i like the show lol) and the songs definately caused a cue to applaud!! You could also tell that it was a director of a musical directing this as apposed to a film director if that makes sense (the really cheesy roulette wheel!) - loved the silvery mirror ball esq thing in the titles too.

Julie Walters was as always fantastic i cried with laughter when she fell out of that boat! Meryl Streep was much better than i was expecting and christine whats her face was also very good.

Only things i didn't like was the girl who played sophie, Pierce bloody brosnan and that new song they added in other than that i loved the film.
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#10
Posted: 7/13/08 at 10:21pm
Very mixed reviews here in Oz. Are we just a little ABBA-ed out? It'll be interesting to see the box office results in the next couple of weeks.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#11
Posted: 7/14/08 at 2:12am
I found the whole thing slightly cringworthy. Nobody can sing an Abba song like Abba can. I didnt mind it so much with the stage show, but with the movie i just wanted to run home and hear the songs sung as they were meant to be heard.

Streep was petty good though, and you can never fault our dear Julie, but in the end it simply wasnt for me. The audience loved it though, and i was sure that the woman next to me was about to tip her coke all over my lap at one point.

It's good to see another movie musical out there though i suppose.
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#12
Posted: 7/14/08 at 10:53am
As someone who is not a fan of the stage show - I was hesitant to see this. But I absolutely LOVED it. Scripps2 is spot on with their review. I haven't had so much fun and laughed so much in a cinema for a long time. A great 1 hour 40 of my life. :) And Meryl Streep is fantastic, possibly the most honest performance of her career. Yes, some people are not the greatest of singers but in the context of the film - it works and/or doesn't matter. And the direction is brilliant too. Agree about the choreography comment though made above by Scripps2.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#13
Posted: 7/14/08 at 11:06am
I thought this was amazing and can't wait to see the stage show. Take a chance on me/Lay all your love on me/Winner takes it all were my faves.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#14
Posted: 7/15/08 at 6:49am
OK can we be real here for a second?

This is a fun film, but thats about as far as i can go with it, i enjoyed it, i was not bored but as a huge film fan it had me pulling my hair out.

The direction is AWFUL, in fact PAINFUL.
For a director to miss the simplest of shots where 2 characters are conveying a moment of honesty with each other is idiotic, so much of the directing made me want to scream.

The choreography was weak (a lot of its the same as the musical which explains a lot) and when they do have big dance numbers (Voulez Vouz) the director manages to miss it all.

The huge gaping holes in the storyline are a lot more apparent on the screen on the stage...again, thanks to the directing.

Brosnin is awful, truly painful to listen to.Some of the cast who have weak voices add to the charm to see them have a go, but Pierce (shudder)

Cooper does not even register, it was probably one of the blandest performances ive ever seen (the character is so badly written is laughable)

Amanda Seyfried is cute as a button but again barley registers as Sophie (has a nice voice though)

I honestly kept forgetting Stellan Skarsgård was in this film since he really has no character to play.

The new song was awful, cutting the songs down to 2 verse and 2 chorus was stupid and Money Money Money was absurd.

On the plus side though the locations were breathtaking and the costume design was wonderful, but this film is all about 3 things

Streep, Walters and Baranski

These 3 are tremendous with Walters almost steeling the film from under Meryl (walters falling off the boat had me laughing for hrs).These 3 are so well cast and look like they are having such a blast that it makes you have a blast.Walters was hilarious all the way through, Baranski was on top form and then Streep

She has a pretty good voice (not great) put she sells every word that comes out of her mouth (her Winner Takes It All had me in tears).And her energy is infectious (is this woman really 60?).Whenever these 3 are on the screen it cant go wrong...much

It is without doubt the campest film ive ever seen (and i watched Showgirls lol) but ive not decided if thats a good or bad thing yet.

In my opinion it does not come close to Hairspray, Dreamgirls or Sweeney Todd, but it is better than the Producers and Phantom Of The Opera

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#15
Posted: 7/15/08 at 7:05am
In every single review the direction has been slammed!
In every single review the acting has been slammed!
In every single review the sing has been slammed!
In every single review the writer has sucombed to the 'feel good factor' of the movie even tho they went in with every inch of their body wanting to hate, hate hate it!. Its that kind of movie. SO basically a very bad movie has ended up getting brilliant reviews!
Your gonna like this or loath it as most do with the stage show. There is no happy medium with 'Mama Mia'.
Ive seen it once and it will be once only.
The soundtrack CD is 100% appaulling. If i was Abba would be dragging that off sale asap.
.....tho it did take $25m over the weekend!

Updated On: 7/15/08 at 07:05 AM
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#16
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:14am
$25 mill isn't really a huge opening in the states is it?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#17
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:16am
Thats not in America it doesn't open there till the end of this week, 25million i believe is in English speaking countries outside the USA, it will gets its arse kicked at the US Box Office due to the idiotic decision to release it on the same day as The Dark Knight
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#18
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:17am
Sorry, i wasn't clear on that - $25m is its European opening weekend! Thats a hell of a lot with more than half of Europe not yet to open the movie for another 4 or 5 weeks!
It's US and Canadian opening is this weekend, July 18th!
Updated On: 7/15/08 at 10:17 AM
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#19
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:25am
It opened here last week, I'll check out what it did and post tomorrow.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#20
Posted: 7/15/08 at 12:46pm
UK Box Office 4 day opening weekend £5.2M.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#21
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:27am
Having seen it, I could see the flaws most of the critics had pointed out. But I enjoyed it anyway, definitely a perfect Summery feel-good movie.
Everything in life...is only for now.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#22
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:35am
Im sure it never set out to be anything else!
Given the source material could it be anything but?
Go see it!
The stage show is more fun tho.Tho not a great show! lol

Updated On: 7/16/08 at 10:35 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#23
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:39am
Agreed, fun film, but not a patch on the stage show
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Mama Mia' The Movie is a rave!#24
Posted: 7/16/08 at 11:00am
As someone who loves the stage show and has seen it loads in several countries, including Russia, I was really looking forward to it, but when I finally saw it last night, I was disappointed. Yes it is fun, but for me there were just too many flaws to truly enjoy it.
Missed the little bits and pieces of the show which make the show so much fun for me, e.g. "does your mother know" made not much sense to me in the movie as the whole subplot Tanya/Pepper was hardly there!
The only person in the movie impressing me totally was Julie Walteres, the rest... Especially - why did they cast Pierce Brosnan as Sam Carmichael??? So painful to listen to him!
I will definitely stick to the stage show, more entertainment than this.
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 11:00 AM