seems to be what everyone is saying
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#3
Posted: 4/16/08 at 8:39am
The orchestra WAS hidden. I sat next to them. Stage left, they were built into the house.

I disagree about Ashley Wilkes. His acting was atrocious. I love your "Make Me A Song" review though.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 4/16/08 at 08:39 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#4
Posted: 4/17/08 at 8:25am
Blows, or just sucks?
tigerlily2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#5
Posted: 4/17/08 at 2:38pm
ahahaha!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#6
Posted: 4/17/08 at 7:10pm
Alterego, i was gonna say that but feared the world (BroadwayWorld that is!)
would fall on me!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#7
Posted: 4/20/08 at 7:54am
Paving the way for a successful launch??
Observer article re: GWTW
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows#8
Posted: 4/20/08 at 8:45am
Oh Dear
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#9
Posted: 4/20/08 at 12:28pm
So apparently now it's a play with music. That's just as well, because there is so little drama in music that you wonder whether the band has gone on strike!

I have to say, I had one of the most bored evenings of my life watching the show on Saturday night! Where do I start?

The set, though initially pretty, is highly restrictive and entirely inadequate for the epic moments. For the burning of Atlanta, as well as a burnt flag, now a few small flats fall down. Utter crap. And as for stage management. There are two runways onto the thrust. Underneath the cross-stage walk-way there is an area usl and usr where the two trucks are reset with tables etc. This is done in full view of the audience by crew in blacks! Why is there not a masking drape? Why, at least are the crew members not in costume? Awful. Perhaps that will be ironed out. I'd appreciate it if they could also avoid shining mag lights backstage!

The staging- fluent but repetitive. Only one real dance, marching off to battle. Basic.

The text. Well, I guess this novice, who was smart enough to obtain the stage rights before approaching a producer, has them bound up in some final edit contract, because otherwise Trevor Nunn must have taken leave of his senses entirely. I simply cannot believe that Nunn can't see where the edits are- I can only guess that he hasn't been allowed to make them. This show could run comfortably at 2 hours 15 and still feel as though it had epic sweep. I heard so many people at the interval saying, "what else is left for the second half", which suggests that there was quite enough dramatic arc in the first half to satisfy an audience. However, the script resolutely avoids drama, except in the intermittent petulent cat-fights between Scarlett and Rhett. I hate narrators at the best of times, but I don't need someone to tell me "Melanie ran down the stairs", when I can ***ing well see her doing it! The inexperienced of the writer screams from the stage.

As for the cast, I pity them! Darius (bless) has virtually nothing to do. I can't remember him actually singing a song at all in Act 1! Looking at the programme, there are stalwarts like Jeff Shankley, Ray Shell, Sue Jane Tanner, Susan Tracy, Jacqui Boatswain!!! What must they be thinking. These guys are West End royalty, stuck in a show I wouldn't dump on a 6th form Christmas production!

Unless you want to throw away four hours of your life, avoid this stinker!

PS The show opens on Tuesday, so please don't criticize this review of a preview. If the show ain't frozen by now, they really are in a mess!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#10
Posted: 4/20/08 at 12:41pm
Oh lord help me, I'm seeing it on 10th May. On the bright side, I'm seeing the Histories Cycle two weeks later, so if I come out going "I just sat down for four hours and OH GOD IT SUCKED", at least I will later be sitting down for a LOT longer than four hours, and I doubt highly I will dislike any aspect of those productions.

I wish I wish I wish that when the West End did get original musicals they didn't SUCK. Augh!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#11
Posted: 4/20/08 at 1:32pm
Don't even compare them in the same breath!!!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#12
Posted: 4/20/08 at 1:43pm
I'm seeing it in early May; in theory, after it's opened but I can't help wondering if I'll still be seeing a preview.
BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#13
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:02pm
Fire Margaret Martin.
Fire Margaret Martin.
Fire Margaret Martin.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#14
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:47pm
I bet they can't. She had acquired the rights, according to her biog, not the production company.
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#15
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:49pm
devonian.t, they should just be lucky they're not on Broadway, otherwise the critics would've already seen it - and by the looks of it, sharpening their knives

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#16
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:57pm
I think most have already come- in shifts, spreading the experience of the whole performance over several nights... rather like the author.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#17
Posted: 4/20/08 at 8:04pm
I cant agree with your review more! Susannah Fellows... I can't believe she only has one song to sing and it doesnt even show off her voice nor does the role show off her acting skills! I feel it's gona be a FLOP
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#18
Posted: 4/21/08 at 5:50am
Im so glad i chose 'Eurobeat' over this last week now. as everyone on here knows very well i love seeing a flop shows (thats different to wanting shows to flop!) but i cant find a reason why i want to see this show, i really cant. I will see it this week im sure but i will be pushed thru the doors i know. (First i have to sit thru 'Jesus Christ Superstar' in Spanish in Madrid!!! -thats 'Jesuchristo Superstar'! )
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/21/08 at 05:50 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#19
Posted: 4/21/08 at 9:07am
i was supposed to be there on the day it was canceled grr so we have tickets for 2 weeks time, if this flops i wanna be able to say i have seen it lol
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#20
Posted: 4/21/08 at 9:47am
"(First i have to sit thru 'Jesus Christ Superstar' in Spanish in Madrid!!! -thats 'Jesuchristo Superstar'! ) "

Actually, the Spanish translation is remarkably strong, and the last major Mexican production, despite some dodgy staging, was well cast and quite enjoyable. I can certainly think of worse things (GWTW among them) to sit through.

And, if it's an awful production, it's only two hours.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#21
Posted: 4/21/08 at 10:04am
It can only be better than the Spanish 'We Will Rock You' that i endured 2 years ago in Barcelona! Just!
its just that 'Superstar' is one of my least favorite shows- ever - in any language
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#22
Posted: 4/21/08 at 10:47am
Wickedboy: I believe you are a remarkably rare case. Even the people I know who can't stand ALW tend to give JCS a pass. I love it, myself...

Clearly I just need to take your job. =)
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#23
Posted: 4/21/08 at 11:01am
Oh i know I'm in the very few. It stems from seeing it very young, the original production at the Palace Theatre in 1973. I was just not taken by it and despite seeing many, many productions since, heck I've even worked on it once-I'm still not there- forgive me!
Updated On: 4/22/08 at 11:01 AM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nunn's Wind Blows- And I've seen it!#24
Posted: 4/22/08 at 8:32am
Ruthifan, you're right about Susannah Fellows. When I heard the voice, then scanned the programme and thought "god, what a waste!"

Her voice is so piercing, she would make a wonderful Mrs White in Carrie! (SaDM2 now you're excited!)
Updated On: 4/22/08 at 08:32 AM