Page: 1

YOUR reailty show?

chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
YOUR reailty show?#1
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:25am
If you had to do one show cast via reality TV, what show would it be and what would the title of the TV show be called?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: YOUR reailty show?#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:29am
oh it would be called

*stop casting show through tacky tv shows* lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: YOUR reailty show?#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:50am
My thought has always been that they should cast shows that are already open via TV, for example find the next Elphaba & Glinda, and maybe call it 'What is this Feeling?' or find the next Sally Bowles and call it 'Myabe This Time I'll Win' but alteratively i'd love to see a decent London revival of Sweet Charity, and cast Charity via TV show, and call it 'If My Friends Could See Me Now', i hate the idea of the TV casting for musicals as much as the next person, but if they're gonna do it, why not do it for already running shows? Every show in london could use the publicity anyway, or continue to cast Maria and Joseph by TV show so that london isn't over-run by shows that have been cast via TV show, because eventually the West-End will run out of empty theatres and have to close the half-decent shows that are already open in London and replace them with these cheapy TV cast revivals
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 10:50 AM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: YOUR reailty show?#3
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:17pm
I'm afraid I am going to come to the defence of the TV casting shows.

I see where you are coming from, but it is a lofty stance that really doesn't hold water and smacks of snobbery.

I think the TV casting shows have been the saving grace of years of tedium in the West End. They have brought theatre as an industry back to the mass population of the country and it is no coincidence that the last 3 years have seen such a surge in ticket sales at the box office.

I would also suggest that they aren't tacky or cheap (though Grease on ITV was a disgusting show, mostly because of the way it was handled by the presenters and jusges. So I'd agree there).

With the Andrew Lloyd Webber ones on the BBC, the people audtioning and training are treated with respect and dignity (totaly lacking on X-Factor or American Idol). They are looked after, not exploited for laughs or to make the judges look better or more important (like Simon "small co*k" Cowel does). On that basis there is at least a respect for them.

I would also suggest that they have brought to a wide audience an understanding of the demands and skill levels needed to perform in musical theatre, as well as giving many struggling performers the chance to work with some amazing people and gain more experience and exposure.

Also we must note that both Connie Fisher and Lee Mead were profesionally trained at credited schools, and still went through the grueling 12 week audition process.

There is so much snobbery about these shows, as if musical theatre is an elevated art form. It isn't. It is a mass market art form, for the general public. The TV casting shows have brought that point home.

You make the claim that we will soon just fill all our empty theatres with these shows - well its better than them being dark, no revenue at the box office and then having to knock them down.

I for one back the TV shows as a great example of how to bring our industry to a wider public and get them out of the cinemas for a night and into our theatres - hopefully creating a new audience for the future and continued financial rewards for the West End as a whole.

Good luck to them all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: YOUR reailty show?#4
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:46pm
I agree on some points but not on others

The west end would have posted huge figures thanks to Wicked and Dirty Dancing regardless of reality shows been around.

It does open people up to theatre i agree and thats a good thing, but at the same time the shows they pick (Joseph Grease etc) are shows nobody wanted a revival of.

The new productions are artistically bankrupt (with the exception of Sound Of Music), they have just used the same old tired grease sets and pulled the London set out for Joseph.Its not offering anything new and these shows are taking theatres which new shows and better shows could have.

The joseph one was a joke, if its a competition which people are voting on that means that one person will be victorious and achieve his dream.Yet Ellis went in to Hairspray (a far better show) and the rest of them (as well as one from Grease Is The Word) are touring with the tour this year....did anyone actually loose??

Whilst Lee has done well in Joseph (thanks to his theatrical background) Connie struggled with the run of Sound Of Music, so whilst so many people booked to see her it was anyones guess if she would be on.

Do wee really need a new reality show casting every 6 months or so? THREE shows in the west end have been cast that way with a 4th one coming up ....FOUR

You could run many kinds of shows on TV to do with the theatre to get people interested it doesn't have to be a casting show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Jade Profile PhotoJade Profile Photo
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: YOUR reailty show?#5
Posted: 3/14/08 at 2:59pm
I'm another person who is perfectly happy for West End shows to be cast via reality TV. Any means of bringing musical theatre to a wider audience is a good thing, IMO. Plus, it's a way of finding previously undiscovered talent.

Just because (so far) the shows that have been cast by reality TV are artisically bankrupt revivals does not mean EVERY show cast that way will be an artistically bankrupt revival.

Songanddanceman2, I take your point about the Joseph show - the fact that 5 out of the 12 contestants (including Lee) went on to be involved in some production of Joseph does rather negate the "There can only be one Joseph!" tag line. On the other hand, you weren't voting for one person to achieve his dream, you were voting for one person to play Joseph on the West End. Which is pretty much what we got. And I, personally, was very happy that the others were able to use the show to get work.

To answer the original question, I'd cast some combination of Mark/Roger/Mimi in Rent via reality TV and call it "Everything is Rent." Maybe Rent would finally gain some popularity in this country and, because Rent is a rock musical, the programme would perhaps be slightly different and edgier than the ones previously aired.