Page: 1

Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide'

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #1
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:55am
Due to TV commitments she has had to pull out. I cant even begin to imagine how many, and there were a lot, of tickets sold on her name!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 10:55 AM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #2
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:13am
I have known about this for nearly a week. It was on a podcast http://www.comicspodcasts.com/?cat=15

My friends (and friend's friends) are annoyed at the cost and that Kristin is still listed on the ENO website. I hadn't booked yet though
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #2
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:33am
I am going with a Kristin fan who will be VERY annoyed (personally cant stand her - something about her really annoys me lol) , luckily though they only cost 30 each instead of the usual 80 so thats some comfort
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #3
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:37pm
How did you get tickets that cheap?

I've not booked yet, though am still planning to - the draw is more a full orchestra playing Berstein's score than Kristin Chenowith. Can't wait!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #4
Posted: 3/11/08 at 3:29pm
ENOs Access To Arias, brilliant if you are under 28 (I think). Basically top price tickets for productions are 30, then others are 20 and then 10 (I think), free to join and once you have your card you just phone and book.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #5
Posted: 3/11/08 at 4:59pm
Boo...I hadn't bought yet but was planning to because I loved Cheno in YAGMCB.

Not sure I'll make the effort now...
RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #6
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:11pm
She must have had a chat with Michael Ball and decided that after last year's Carry on Camel meets The Producers (Michael's own words) production of Kismet it wasn't worth the trip.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #7
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:28pm
ENOs Access To Arias, brilliant if you are under 28 (I think). Basically top price tickets for productions are 30, then others are 20 and then 10 (I think), free to join and once you have your card you just phone and book.

Brilliant - many thanks for the info! re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide'

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #8
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:46pm
She was contracted to Pushing Daisies prior to Candied. That being said, she took the job because of the strike and I am sure she like everyone else in Hollywood didn't know how long it was going to last. Therefor, she needed a job in the meantime. But, now that the strike is over and Pushing Daisies is going to get underway in terms of production very soon. She had to drop out of Candied.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #9
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:20pm
But theres a contract there and i'm sure now ENO have gotten a lot of money! 'Candide' has been played in London so many times in the last 15/ 20 years this one will now just float by without much recognition as they are not casting 'a name' to replace Galinda!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #10
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:35pm
I had a feeling this would happen as they are having to go back in to production with the brilliant Pushing Dasie's.Its not really her fault as the writers strike kinda messed things up.Shes making the right choice as well as PD is a huge hit
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #11
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:47pm
And, keep in mind she wasn't the first actor to do some other sort of work during the strike. Like I said before, I think she was going to do this until the strike cleared up but the strike cleared up before the show happened. So, she has to go back to L.A. And, I think that ENO knows that.

And, the ENO is still getting the money people paid to see Krisitin so I don't think they are going to complain.

Now the people in London will know how people in NYC feel. We get a production of Candied every couple of years. Never has any production been a standout or something memorable. We just had it a couple of years ago in concert at Avery Fischer Hall with Kristin singing the same role she would have been singing in London.

This year as part of NY City Opera's season they are doing a production of it. Replacing what would have been a production of Ragtime. Personally, I am pisssed that we are getting a production of Candied ( I should say yet ANOTHER production of Candide) over Ragtime (a show that I never saw) but that is just me.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #12
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:55pm
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide'

ENO will get BIG buy out money from her contract. With that maybe they could pay someone to pick better shows for them if they want to break out in to mainstream musicals. To see a full blown Broadway musical at the Coli is a dream of mine that hasnt even come close to be realized with a very poor production of 'On The Town' and the 'pantomime' that was 'Kismet'. In the 40s and 50s this was the premier theatre, even Drury Lane couldnt compete, for direct transfers of Broadway shows! "Annie Get Your Gun' 'Guys And Dolls' 'Kiss Me Kate' all had their UK premiers at the Coli.

Updated On: 3/11/08 at 09:55 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #13
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:02pm

Updated On: 3/11/08 at 10:02 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #14
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:09pm

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #15
Posted: 3/12/08 at 6:00am
Only thing is her name hadnt seemed to have sold many tickets so far judging by how many empty seats on ENOs website
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #16
Posted: 3/12/08 at 7:18am
That is exatly what we were thinking. She is not a West End name, very few peole know her. The majority of seats already sold will be sold to the long standing ENO subscribers.
Its very easy to see how ENO productions sell. If you go to the web site every time a booking period opens you will see the same pattern and number of seats sold to every opera (or whatever other production), this then stays pretty static until closer to performance time and the general publics interest is awakened by the normal round of reviews etc.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #17
Posted: 3/13/08 at 6:18pm
This isn't the end of the world. I booked simply to hear the mind-blowing Bernstein score played by a full orchestra. Alex Jennings and Beverley Klein are a bonus. I thought On The Town was great with really big scale production values and a super cast. I'm hoping if they pull Candide off we might get Bernstein's White House Cantata, which is another stupendous astonishing breathtaking score. It is being done in NY at the end of the month and everyone on the Broadway Board is ignoring it!?!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #18
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:08pm
It is being ignored ( the white house cantata that is) because there hasn't been much announcment or info about it. I am interesed in knowing more if you do Scripps.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kristin is out of ENO 'Candide' #19
Posted: 3/14/08 at 6:12pm
Winston: This is the thread I spotted it on

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=959095

There is a further link on there to the details of the performance.

Have you heard the CD?