Jersey Boys Fan Thread

mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
Jersey Boys Fan Thread#1
Posted: 2/27/08 at 6:06am
With the first preview tomorrow, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where fans can post their reviews, comments,specualtions, hopes etc plus of course press cuttings. I know there's already a JB thread but it starts from a very negative standpoint: "Oliver knocks out Jersey Boys". It is hardly the appropriate header for what I expect will be a lot of positive reaction. So if you want to post genuine reviews please post here; if you want to snipe and sneer go to the other thread.

To whet people's appetites here's an article from today's Daily Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/02/27/bmvalli127.xml

Who's going to post the first review? I'll be there tomorrow night but who knows, some one might beat me.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#2
Posted: 2/27/08 at 6:33am
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread

I'll be there 2mrw nite and again on Monday thru work.
I'll find it interesting to see the reaction of the first preview audience as i was at the frirst preview of 'Mama Mia' 11 years ago at the same theatre and everyone was being negative about that before the curtain went up! The audience were stunned into a party mood that continues today. One never knows does one.
The twice ive seen the show in San Francisco the audience were so with the show that by the finale they were dancing in the ailes- literally! 'Jersey Boys' ends with a terrific number-Who Loves You! -that just leaves you in a great mood knowing you've seen a great show and not just a cheap juke box compilation.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#2
Posted: 2/27/08 at 6:40am
I'm going tommorrow as well, I can't wait to see it even though I'm not old enough to remember Frankie Valli and The Four Season or really know their songs aside from Can't Take My Eyes off You.

I think this will similar business in the UK like it has in the US and it wil appeal to the Mamma Mia/Buddy audience.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#3
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:24am
Thanks for that 'Daily Telegraph' page MP.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#4
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:05am
Im so excited for this show after LOVING it in NY, i really hope it does well here.

They are going all out with nationwide TV adverts (and good ones too)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#5
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:10am
The publicity machine with kick in well and true now. Whats the point in blasting a show in the publics face before it goes into performances when they want to see it as soon as they read about it or see it on TV. I have 3 seats for 2mrw and could have given them away 10 times over!

Im sure most people know already but just incase- seats for all the previews are at 40, 30, 20. So for the 2 weeks of previews its a great chance to see the show at such low prices. Most shows will normally only take 2 or 3 of normal ticket prices.
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 08:10 AM
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#6
Posted: 2/27/08 at 9:52am
Don't forget to tune into Radio 2 at 11pm tonight for the first in a 4 part series on the 4 Seasons.
JLY#1
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#7
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:26pm
I have been counting down the days till tomorrow night. I too became mildly obsessed with the show after seeing it on Broadway, and just hope the British audiences will appreciate it.

My only wish was that John Lloyd Young & Christian Hoff came over. This is not a negative comment about the UK cast, merely an observation from a fan of the Broadway production. I'm hoping the cast here will prove me wrong!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#8
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:42pm
I'm going tomorrow night as well...and one of my classmates is working the show and promises that first preview will not be canceled - a good sign from the start.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#9
Posted: 2/28/08 at 2:19am
I'll be there next Tuesday and cant wait. It was propably one of the best nights I had on Broadway and i hope it's gonna be the same here.

I laughed when people on previous threads have said that people in the UK wont get it as Frank Valli & the Four Seasons are not that well known in this country. All i can say is those people are obviously too young. Damn!! am i showing my age again?
JLY#1
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#10
Posted: 2/28/08 at 2:29am
Did anyone on here go to the open dress rehearsal last night?
sammin33
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#11
Posted: 2/28/08 at 5:43pm
how was the first preview?! im going next month!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#12
Posted: 2/28/08 at 6:56pm
That first preview was brilliant! The show went without one single hitch. The audience were there behind the whole thing. All the leads are perfect and work well together. The audience were up and dancing for the entire last number, finale and bows! Cant wait to see it again on Monday.. Cant see how they can better tonight's show tho!?!?
There were only 73 unsold seats for the show this evening and that show the advance is for months to come, i was chatting with the house manager and the BO manaager!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#13
Posted: 2/28/08 at 7:55pm
I was at the first preview too and I really enjoyed it. The cast worked brilliantly together especially Ryan Molloy as Frankie and Glenn Carter as Tommy DeVito but to me it was the story that engrossed me and worked really well with the songs.

Judging from the audience reaction, I think this is going to be a hit in London especially when the reviews come out.

BTW Wicked, where were you sitting if i may ask? I was in the front row with my Mum and little brother.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#14
Posted: 2/28/08 at 7:58pm
Row L centre stalls! That was my third time seeing Jersey Boys and tonight i felt just as swept up as ever in the story! I thought they sang it brilliantly being as they all have colds. The audience was fab wasnt it.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#15
Posted: 2/28/08 at 8:06pm
The audience was brilliant and seems to know all the songs judging from the people in my row unlike me who only knew one or two songs. One of the weird things about sitting in the front row was that there was no orchestra pit which I was expecting.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#16
Posted: 2/28/08 at 8:10pm
How was the view because the stage was very high and really close to the front row!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#17
Posted: 2/28/08 at 8:17pm
It was quite high and so I had to creek my neck from time to time to see the action that happened at the back of the stage, I only paid 30 each for seats but I think they should offered as day seats as they wouldn't be worth 60.

The company I work for is handling the merch for JB and I managed to speak to my boss who saw the dres rehearsal yesterday and gave it the thumbs up.
JLY#1
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#18
Posted: 2/28/08 at 8:30pm
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Just got back and Absolutely delighted. I thought all four leads were strong, although I have to be honest and felt that Ryan was the weakest out of them. I know this is only first previews so I'm sure he will improve. I was very impressed at the way the audience embraced it from very early on, and I love the fact Des came on first. I know Bob Gaudio was in tonight too, so just the thought of him there watching made it all the more special.

Anyone know if they are likely to do day seats after previews? If so, what is the deal at Prince Edward?

All that talk about the theatre not being right for the show???? What a load of absolute tosh!!
Updated On: 2/28/08 at 08:30 PM
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#20
Posted: 2/29/08 at 9:38am
@Wickedboy2
I was also sitting in Row L. Quite unexpectedly, my sister and I found that were sitting next to Bob Gaudio and his wife!An icebreaking moment arrived as we settled in, so I quipped along the lines "seeing you I know we've got the best seats" and had a little chat. Just very brief and light as I didn't want to be intrusive. As you would expect he was most courteous. And then next to Bob was an unknown and then Des McAnuff.

Judging by the audience reaction the show will be a big hit here too. The introductory stuff about New Jersey (the landfill site joke) seemed to go right over the audience's head but otherwise the jokes seem to have crossed the Atlantic pretty well. No standing ovations during the show but the most rapturous applause was given to Sherry etc; Dawn (Go Away) ( less known in the UK but my alltime fave); Can't Take my Eyes Off You; and the finale, where of course we at last threw away our reserve and did the standing O.

I liked all the leads though I don't think Ryan Molloy is in the same league as JLY or Jarrod Spector.His singing in the ballads was excellent but in the uptempo numbers he seem to lack initial attack and his voice was rather subdued in the mix. Whether that was nerves or a fault on the sound console I don't know. I'm sure he'll be a great success over the run.

The role of Tommy is crucial to the play -indeed I think it's my favourite. I think Glenn Carter is an excellent choice and of all the cast I'd say he has the greatest charisma. I thought he needed to be a bit more bombastic at the beginning ("We put Joisey on the map!) and initially his diction didn't seem quite right. So I'm relieved to hear that might be attributable to a cold. He's got the icebreaker role and maybe he was just a little nervous too. I'm sure he'll achieve perfection during the previews.

Stephen Ashfield is a charming Bob Gaudio. He's got a nice voice too.

I thought Philip Bulcock did very well making a lot out of the role of the group's mystery man. Again he's got real presence, well up to his Broadway counterpart.

Overall the audience really loved it and the word of mouth is no doubt clicking in. I passed several people on mobiles spreading the news.

PS those asterisks in Philip B's name are nothing to do with me. It's just the website being ultra cautious about "offensive" words!
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 09:38 AM
JLY#1
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#21
Posted: 2/29/08 at 11:21am
I agree mpw607, Tommy's character is an integral part of the show and I was curious to see if anyone could live up to Christian Hoff - I think Glenn was pretty impressive, strong stage presence and I'm looking forward to seeing him grow into the part.
I think my personal favourite of the four is Philip playing Nicki Massi. I love that role and as much as I love Bobby Spencer - I think I'm going to prefer Philip in the long run. Got the whole mystery moody thing going on too a tee. And he has some great dialogue - some of my favourite in the show actually, and delivers it very very well.
Thought the accents were great - another concern of mine.
I think Pesci has some work to do. It's quite a comedy role and Jye needs to hone in on that more.

Can't believe Bob was sat behind me all along! I was in G and was looking out for him. I'm delighted you got to sit near him as I know what a genuine fan you are.

If felt there was a real buzz in the theatre and I know first night previews tend to be filled with theatre types and friends & family - but I do honestly think it's going to be a smash.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#22
Posted: 2/29/08 at 5:31pm
My review is up on the RZ blog (linked below). The show is solid as it stands and will get better, but I'm still not convinced that the UK crowds are going to come running for this en masse. Likewise, my money is on the show running strictly through word of mouth...I don't think the critics are going to dig it.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#23
Posted: 2/29/08 at 6:48pm
@ exedore

Your blog mentions a point that crossed my mind but I hadn't dared to mention: the show seemed somehow different even though the script is the same. That may be in the eye of this beholder. For example the show seems to me to be much more hostile to Tommy than when I saw it in New York in 2005. The script is the same so there's no logical explanation for my new perception.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, I wasn't totally gripped as I had been by the Broadway production. Whether it's because the theatre is larger, or because this was only a preview or because there wasn't the same "collective consciousness" from the rest of the audience, something was missing for me. I'm hoping that will be addressed by Press Night
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#24
Posted: 2/29/08 at 10:51pm
Speaking to the production guys after they mentioned that there was a mic problem on Thursday that wasnt there for the dress on Wedsenday. The Prince Edward has always been a bugger for the sound guys. Give a few more perfs and they'll be on top of it.
JLY#1
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Fan Thread#25
Posted: 3/1/08 at 11:41am
Nice article in The Times supplement today

Page: 1