Is Sweeney Todd Eliminating It's Main Audience?

CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ok, now however much any of us would hate to say it, I do not believe we are the main viewing public of the sweeney todd movie, it is going to be Johnny Depp fans, there may be plenty of us Musical fans but there is probably double the amount of Johnny Depp fans, so surely they will be the MAIN audience for the film, you may disagree, but they will certainly make up a fairly large portion of viewers, now most of them are 14/15/16 year old girls who are in love with him, well here's news, they wont be viewing it, as it is rated an 18, so wont that just eliminate a wide section of the audience, or do you think I'm being stupid?
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From what i hear from my friends in the US, a wide number of the audience are very young and are simply loving the movie for what it is. Dont forget the film classification is very different to the UK and anyone younger than 17 can see the movie with an adult!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
but over here the film is rated an 18, see odeon website and bbfc website, and that means no one under 18 can see it with or without adult, whether they'd enjoy the film or not is irrelevant as they will not be able to see it!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wasnt sure what certificate it had been given here till you said.
I saw it at a private screening 2 weeks ago in NY (see seperate post here) and im telling you it deserves a high age limit- the last 20mins are incredibly grusome- pretty yuk i warn you!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/2/08 at 02:14 PM
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I was expecting 15, but...
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its unfortunate that this film has under performed (in america is largely down to its very misleading advertising)

But you are right, sweeney todd's story line would appeal to a younger crowd but with its 18 certificate its going to struggle as it has done in the states
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
sgweirdo
Understudy
Understudy
I'm shocked it's gotten an 18 rating. I'm from NYC and saw it opening night (at midnight) and the rest of my row was a bunch of 14 year old girls were there with someone's mother...
It's most definitely going to suffer with that rating.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It certainly doesnt deserve the 18 as gruesome as it is!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Well, I'll be taking my little sister who is just 14... But that's in France.
I do not know what the british board does for the rating of films. "Les Choristes" (The Chorus, if I remember well the bad translation of the title) was forbidden in England to people under 14 !!! In France, many 10 year old pupils were taken to see it and I do not see what was the problem in Albion !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i think its rather funny it's been rated as an 18. atleast then i'll be able to watch the film in peace without some screaming children who have no idea what the film's about and are only there to see johnny depp.

i think it's good that its an 18, atleast it shows how dark sopndheim's musical really is if it can't get below an 18 at the cinema! i dont think it will affect it here in the uk one little bit.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The certificate will effect the US attendance so much more than that here in the UK.
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its not It's
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blaxx -there a lot of posts on both the Broadway and West End boards regarding peoples nasty comments on the spelling etc of other posters- one recent one from a professor of English! He remarks that an internet board is not for subbmission of English papers or writing to your favourite aunt etc, but just a topical chat board and that it doesnt require perfect grammar if people are replying fast to comments- he was as infuriated as i am!
Would you care to explain why you have to post as you have just done?? It offers nothing to the interests of the posts. Im sure im not alone and would welcome other comments!
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
thankyou. i didn't realise i needed a BA in perfect spelling and grammar to post on this board. thanks for sticking up for me re: Is Sweeney Todd Eliminating It's Main Audience?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tommy!!! it just gets up my nose! You (posters) try to reply fast to a comment as subjects move on so fast here and then people make comments like above-so pointless. My spelling sometimes is well... but its only by typing so fast to reply!
No problem.
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First of all, I just pointed it out, I didn't "make a comment".
Second, it was not a spelling mistake. Its and It's have completely different meanings. Third, you ask why?
Du u want every 1 heere 2 pozt laik theeze?
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
oh get a life. there was no need to post it, you clearly understood its meaning, and it was one simple grammatical error. and it wasn't related to sweeney todd either.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
blaxx, actually if your playing this game when you use speech marks the full stop goes inside them and you start with a capital letter, so it should have read;"Make a comment." I aint gonna play this game, but you know what they say, people in glass houses...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is this thread turning into the UK auditions for 'The 25th Annual South-End-On-Sea Spelling Bee' ?
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Who cares about all that fuss???
Can we stick to the topic, please?
Thx !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fancy a pie do you sir?
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sure, sweety ! (lol)

Updated On: 1/6/08 at 05:22 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Closed Mondays, sorry! Very busy weekend!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
saw it the day it came out...way, WAY too graphic....the killings are done like a 3rd rate slasher movie.

There was a couple with a child no more than 7 who started screaming, and they left. No way did this have to be so bloody.
It achieved the purpose intended on Broadway with the high-pitched sound, red light, etc when I saw it there.......but the movie.....in my opinion the slasher style took away from the rest, which I did enjoy.

We are going to see the production at the Ahmanson Theater in LA, just so that my partner will see how good this story can be, as the movie (because of the slasher mentality) upset him

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its a movie- its NOT the Broadway show- if thats what you want you can buy it on Amazon.
Its nowhere near a slasher movie with the killings- please- how did you want them done-by Disney! Its graphic yes, but no more than it should be and a lot lot less than originally intended. The original Drury Lane and Broadway production were pretty bloody let me remind you. Whistles dont work in the cinema! Its perfect for the movie and there has been not one criticism of the gore presented on screen
Maybe you should have stuck with 'Enchanted' in the cinema next door.
Its been given its certificate and the children should not have been there- modern parenting i guess!