Priscilla opens London next year

rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla opens London next year#1
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:20am
An announcement will be made within weeks about a London production of the hit Australian musical Priscilla, which is currently in its final weeks at the Lyric Theatre in Sydney, ahead of a short run in Melbourne.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Friday that the only thing preventing an immediate announcement is confirmation of a theatre, which is expected to come sooner rather than later.

Garry McQuinn of Black Row Productions said the show would definitely open on the West End next year and would then take on the rest of the world.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Priscilla opens London next year#2
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:30am
it has its theatre
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#2
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:58am
Rosscoe you beat me to it.
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#3
Posted: 8/24/07 at 10:04am
Sorry mate, not that often i get to break something, so to speak of.

Do we know which theatre?
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#4
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:59pm
Most of the musical houses in London don't have a great deal of stage depth, something this show needs. Based on information I have on London stage sizes and what is playing in London now (and what may or may not be playing in 8 months time) I'd suggest either The Palladium, The Adelphi or Drury Lane, which I think would instant death for the show (way too big a theatre).

Someone here must know something/ or may have heard rumours?
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Priscilla opens London next year#5
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:36am
Joseph's not going anywhere next year (well, at least until Lee's contract's up), and Sound of Music probably won't end up vanishing any time soon (promote Aoife to full-time or get one of the other Marias in and it'll do just fine). The Drury Lane is the most likely of all of those despite widgetsparky's optimism, as we have no real idea about Lord of the Rings' advance takings and whether it'll survive far into next year.

All three of those are RUG theatres, aren't they? I don't think any of the larger Delfont Mackintosh ones will be free next year (depending on how well Jersey Boys does, I guess) and most of the ATG/Nimax theatres are a bit small.

They could always just fiddle with the staging to accommodate a smaller venue, though.
lulu6622
Swing
Swing
re: Priscilla opens London next year#6
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:12am
well you londoners are in for a GIGANTIC treat!!!! this show is absolutely fabulous!! If would be playing in sydeny for a lot longer if silly saigon could have booked in at a different theatre.
i think the melbourne run might not be as long but still as packed out, it produce full house shows for 8 performances a week for almost a year with standing ovations every time!!

so london get ready for a whole lot of campness and big hit numbers all thrown together for the best night of fun you will EVER EVER EVER have in a theatre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NYscLtlS3k WATCH THAT IS BRILLIANT

i hope u have a cast that is as expectionally talented as the australian cast.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#7
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:38am
I'll put a little money on the Adelphi from mid 2008 or there abouts-mind a lot could happen to many shows between now and then and hey, they sound like they know the house already!! Im gonna get in touch with the Box Office manageress who's a friend of mine and ask questions. This friend by the way is still in tears that Hairspray was seconds away from the Adelphi. Bless her.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#8
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:39am
DeNada, rememeber we are talking about the middle of next year, a lot can happen in 8 months. There isn't a great deal that can be done to alter the set to fit a smaller stage. You still need the depth.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#9
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:41am
Ive worked at the adelphi and its a pretty big stage . You only had to see the set of Sunset to see its size. Jesus! this show will be huge in the UK
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#10
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:50am
It might fit in there at a pinch (Adelphi). Although I believe it only has 38' depth.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#11
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:53am
The show will be fittd to the house it gets. So many shows get adjusted and so many shows change in production between Broadway/London etc and the other way round! Tho i agree Drury Lane is not the best for it.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#12
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:07am
I just remembered - SUNSET played at the Adelphi, that show opened in Australia at the Regent here in Melbourne where PRISCILLA opens in October. (The Regent has an adequate stage space but HUGE auditorium). Somebody once said to me that if they want to fit a show into a theatre they'll find a way. But no, it wouldn't fit into somewhere like the Lyric or the Savoy. And of course they'll want/need a seating capacity of 1,200+.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#13
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:11am
They wouldnt look twice at the Lyric or Savoy. They are not big musical houses. If you dont live in London and know the theatres you cant realy guess where it could play. I know the Lyric in Sydney , its a typical new theatre with incredible facilities built to accomadate any show. The are no places in London like that and thats why i say that they will adapt the show to the house they find. Lets wait and see what they announce in the near future
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#14
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:29am
I do however, have the on file here the stage dimensions of the London theatres and that is what I'm going on. The mention of the Lyric was in reference to someone elses earlier posting.

I'd expect Elton John to have a hand in this production.
Updated On: 8/25/07 at 09:29 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#15
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:05am
Yep, i have about 15 of those books, helps in these chats. The info's available over the net these days too. I think ive asked you before, but is that photo of His/Her Majestys in Melbourne
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#16
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:35am
Yep, it's the Maj in Melbourne. Soon to be home to SPAMALOT.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#17
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:47am
I saw the Oz productions of 'A Chorus Line' and '42nd St' there years ago. I hear theyve done it up- it was a right dump when i visited. Great musical house.
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Priscilla opens London next year#18
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:58pm
Its not the Lane. LOTR had quite a good summer...although months to come will be more testing. Another production wants the Lane...but it's not anything new re: Priscilla opens London next year !

Priscilla is (at the moment anyway!) going to a theatre that is positioned perfectly for the production..!!
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#19
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:24pm
Hmmm, perfectly positioned?

Yes, Wickedboy it had many millions spent on it a handful of years ago, backstage and front of house. By far the most perfect musical-theatre in Australia. The exterior remains intact from a fire in the late 20's. The theatre reopened in 1932 with a new interior, hence the Art Deco style.
Updated On: 8/25/07 at 10:24 PM
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#20
Posted: 8/26/07 at 8:53am
I would never call Her Maj a dump as Alter said one of the best houses in the country for Musicals..Even when it was a little worse for wear, it was still a great theatre to work in.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#21
Posted: 8/26/07 at 8:58am
What does TheatreBuzz mean by perfectly positioned? All the years ive worked in the West End -never heard a show being 'perfectly positioned'!

You have to admit Her Maj got rather shabby before they touched it up. On some occasions walking past i was almost certain it had closed for good and maybe would disappear. Im so glad its been brightened up now and is getting the glorious Spamalot. Its a terriffic musical house despite how you read my earlier post. You guys have a great set of theatres in Melbourne and i hope to see something there this comeing Winter- your Summer. What became of the Comedy theatre almost across the street??
Updated On: 8/26/07 at 08:58 AM
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#22
Posted: 8/26/07 at 2:38pm
"Its not the Lane. LOTR had quite a good summer...although months to come will be more testing. Another production wants the Lane...but it's not anything new!"

Please tell!
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#23
Posted: 8/26/07 at 3:06pm
If you dont anything to post- dont post!
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Priscilla opens London next year#24
Posted: 8/26/07 at 9:07pm
Her Majesty's did get very run down with the previous owners but the current management, as I said have smartened it up*. In the old days (you probably know this) the Maj was the "flagship of the J.C. Williamson fleet"and the launching pad for all the big American musicals produced here. The Comedy is pretty much constantly in use most recently having the local musical KEATING! and MENOPAUSE the musical, as tenants. Next up is Brenda Blethyn with a local actress doing Alan Bennett's TALKING HEADS.

*Earlier this year the Maj had all new seating in the stalls and circle installed. The old seats found their way to the Athenaeum Theatre in Collins Street. Now there is one theatre that DOES need attention.