A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!

Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#1
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:15pm
Name your favourite flop!
OK OK then, name as many as you want and why, my list is so long and growing.
By this i mean a major show that had the worst reviews, dire performances and anything such as set malfuntions-anthing!
Updated On: 6/24/07 at 02:15 PM
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#2
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:34pm
LEONARDO! Strand Theatre London 1993. June 3rd-July 10th. The backing money came from producers of bird **** on an island in the south Pacific. On some evenings it had arunning time of nearly four hours. As with most shows like this, they had so much money to play with and it looked absolutly sensational.
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#2
Posted: 6/25/07 at 12:36am
was the running time of 4 hours because of technical problems? What was the show about?
Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#3
Posted: 6/25/07 at 10:00am
Carrie the musical

Heartbreaking show what died after a few performances on broadway (opened in Stratford) but in the whole entertaining mess of a show was actually a great musical(betty Buckley and Linzi Hately were fantastic as was Charlotte diamboise , sally ann Triplett ,Darlene Love.

One review said "what makes Carrie so heartbreaking is that it hits the heights of great musical theatre and then also scrapes the bottom of the barrel to"

"Carrie is never dull for a single second, it has a non stop energy"

Rumor has it that Carrie will be revived (pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#4
Posted: 6/25/07 at 10:16am
In Strattford it was a great big song and dance of a mess! They worked on it everyday, all day the whole month of the Stratford run before it went of to Broadway to die a rapid 5 perf death. On its journey of course Barbara Cook decided to jump ship and Betty Buckley took over for the Broadway run. Its such a shame cos initialy it showed promise, the set was amazing and the cast were terrific. I saw the 2nd or 3rd preview and the place just sat in silence at the shear embarrsment of what was on stage! The dear, late Jack Tinker of the Daily Mail wrote a scathing review that had, in my opinion one the the classic review headlines- 'Oh Dear Girls! -what a Carrie on!' I sometimes put on the cd i have just hear the brilliance tht is Linzi Hately. Wow!- when she does the title song.

Updated On: 6/25/07 at 10:16 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#5
Posted: 6/25/07 at 10:53am
Hmm well when i watched it in startford it got a huge applause and people were saying they loved it.

Broadway audiences went crazy for it , the show would get a standing ovation after each performance

Im so glad cook went (bloody awful) as Buckley was in her element , she was Margaret White.

Remember Carrie got some great reviews to.

I dont agree at all about the set , it was a bloody mess.

The only way to make Carrie work was to set the show against a realistic small town background, the set was just a bunch of white panels , an awful 3 tiered drive in, and embarrassing prom set.The huge white staircase was jaw dropping especialy as it went of up in to the flys , but it was just so pointless.

The costumes were vulgar and odd(especially for the high school kids), Pink and Red Body stockings anyone??

But the score had some fantatsic moments, Eve Was Weak, Open Your Heart, Dont Waste The Moon, I Remember How those Boys Could Dance, Evening Prayers,In, When Theres No One and The Destruction were all Fantastic (critics praised the moments between Carrie and her mum)

Songs like Out For Blood and Wotta Night were dire

Carries problem can be summed up in 2 words TEERY HANDS.
The man had no idea what he was doing and decided the best way to do carrie was to set around morality tales and Greek tragedy WTF

The original 84 workshop showed that carrie was on the right track until Hands got involved.

The show is salvageable (and would be a cash cow now) they just need a great director this time.

I love carrie the musical and watch my dvd of it every week lol
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#6
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:04am
...yea ok i meant stunned silence until the curtain then every theatre queen falls over themselves cos theyve just seen a big flop that will be spoken about 50 years later! I have the DVD but dont watch it every week just every month or so-haha. I agree with everything you mentioned esp the set- what was that about? Would be nice to see it done again as its in the same vein as shows such as Fame, Footloose etc and todays younger audience would love it. It was said by a few people that at the time it should have been kept in London and maybe then it would have found its feet and gone from there on to being a decent run with a an OK Broadway run after a year or so. We will never know i guess.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#7
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:09am
well pitchford has now caved and said that if the right company approach them to do it he would allow it as longs as certain changes were made.

The show was an odd one as it was like 2 different shows slotted together ,A fantastic powerful musical about a dysfunctional mother and daughter relationship with some of the most beautiful music i had heard in a long time, and then a camp and thuggish teen show what was in the vein of Grease or Fame(just with a lot of really evil and twisted kids) lol

If they do it again now hopefully they can work out the special effects a little better( there is so much you could do with the prom scene) a few fire crackers and lazers dont scare anyone
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#8
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:12am
and all that red ribbon -thank god they ditched that sooner than latter! Im glad you agree it would work today. I know a lot of the younger message posters on here would love it! SongandDanceman you scare me sometimes. Sometimesi think we've sat in the same theatre at the same show sometimes!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#9
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:35am
hahaha maybe we have lol
bingbong
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#10
Posted: 6/30/07 at 8:24pm
The Far Pavillions... i think i was even awful enough to call it 'les maharaja' at one point - am slightly ashamed

I think the above says it all xx
Ryan2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#11
Posted: 7/1/07 at 11:36am
Far Pavilions
Woman In White
Fields of Ambrosia
Daddy Cool
Napoleon

all spring to mind
TommyTunesSon
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#12
Posted: 7/8/07 at 3:59pm
Tell me about Woman In White - I have the cast show album, which I like quite a bit actually... what was the production like?

Not sure if it was a flop, but "Whistle Down The Wind" had the worst decision ever for a musical: instead of setting it in England, where it belonged, it was set in the deep south!! Ugh!! (too bad, because there were some gorgeous songs in the score, esp. "No Matter What")...
mattie29 Profile Photomattie29 Profile Photo
mattie29
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#13
Posted: 7/8/07 at 4:02pm
the bigest flop ever must have to be behind the iron mask only completing 22 shows including previews and the new production of kissmet a flop none the less but i hope noone says drowsy its a show that i just think was not for the british but the show was taken in by audiences who loved it i saw it twice onece with my mate and once with my cousin and we all loved it it deserved to do better than it did most people under estimated it.
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#14
Posted: 7/8/07 at 8:59pm
With the critics perhaps but I don't think you can actually class Kismet a flop, as it is only going to run for three weeks anyway. The ENO announced record advanced sales for this show and I'm imagining that there are enough Michael Ball (and Alfie Boe) fans out there to have made it worth the ENO's while.

Drowsy Chaperone and WIW (on broadway)didn't do terribly well didn't they have the same producers.
Updated On: 7/10/07 at 08:59 PM
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#16
Posted: 7/9/07 at 3:49am
Drowsy Chaperone, Come on amazing show, opened, I want to say June 16th, I may be wrong and closing August 4th, thats not even two whole months, but it is such a good show, just not destined for The West End I guess!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#18
Posted: 7/9/07 at 11:49am
I don't for a second believe the outrageous claims about EP and Bob either. Clearly someone is taking advantage of EP's diva reputation to spread a stupid rumour which is simply not believable. Come on people, she invited him on her radio show! - AKA not something I would do if I couldn't stand the person in question...
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#19
Posted: 7/9/07 at 12:22pm
Lighten up you lot and you poster girl. I only posted what i read in two dailty papers. Unlke a lot of people on here i dont make things up and post them. (....awaiting postergirls grammar corrections yet again!)
Norma D Profile PhotoNorma D Profile Photo
Norma D
Understudy
Understudy
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#20
Posted: 7/9/07 at 12:44pm
So sad to hear about Drowsy closing--also sad to hear that EP's being maligned in this thread by someone who heard from someone etc etc that she's blaming Bob. Sounds a bit like the telephone game to me! Is there any actual proof that she said something like that? Anyway--it's too bad to see it flop. It would have been nice to have an audience for a show like that in London.
Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men. --Margo Channing
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#22
Posted: 7/9/07 at 1:01pm
I'd love to see these 'papers' as well...
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#23
Posted: 7/9/07 at 2:04pm
Two wonderfuly bitter posters here, how funny! They have nothing to do but bitch people down and have nothing constuctive to say. Proberbly becasue they dont work in the theatre. Strange how she only picks up on my spelling etc. Take a look at 90% of the posts you bitter little person. Haha. I have never bitched anyone on anything in these pages but looking back its a favourite pasttime of you both.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#24
Posted: 7/9/07 at 2:21pm
Oh dear... the person who wrote this: "Two wonderfuly bitter posters here, how funny! They have nothing to do but bitch people down and have nothing constuctive to say" seems to be forgetting that he's also responsible for this: "Ms Piggy Paige is blaming the whole thing on the poor 'Man In Chair' -accusations of scene stealing abound!". I criticized it as did postergirl because it's unfounded & probably untrue if not completely fictitious. In one post you attribute it to "freinds who are in it", in another to "what i read in two dailty papers". Do we have any reason to believe you? I'm sure that if you did have friends in the show they certainly would not approve of what you've being saying about their show on these boards. Does us a favour and stop being so hypocritical.
Updated On: 7/9/07 at 02:21 PM
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#26
Posted: 7/9/07 at 4:11pm
Apollo Victoria I seem to remember him writing

Go postergirl!
Updated On: 7/9/07 at 04:11 PM
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#27
Posted: 7/9/07 at 5:41pm
Bitching aside, was there anything about Drowsy in the papers at all today? Was it in the tabloids? A quick search of the main broadsheets online doesn't reveal any mention since the reviews (aside from some American tourists seeing the show over the weekend!), and I don't read The Sun et al. I was expecting to see something about closing notices, especially since Susan's move into the Novello has been announced very quickly indeed, but there wasn't anything as far as I could see. I guess it must just be thespy gossip.

I also don't understand why so many people seem to loathe Elaine Paige so much. Sure, she's a bit (perhaps a slight understatement?) of a diva, but I hardly think it's Bob Martin's fault the show flopped (well, aside from him being the writer, but as the show's success on Broadway proves it's not a terrible show). Realistically, she wouldn't get work if she was that much of a nightmare to work with.

Would she?
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A FLOP! & DESERVEDLY SO TOO!#28
Posted: 7/9/07 at 6:29pm
"I guess it must just be thespy gossip."

The Drowsy Chaperone is definitely closing on August 4, it's been announced.

On the subject of EP, I think it's perfectly clear if you've seen any of the interviews/videos on theatre.com or read any of the press surrounding the show Elaine has really toned down the diva act a lot since her glory days. The producers had to use her name to sell seats (a strategy which has failed because the younger generation of theatre-goers simply don't know her), but in terms of the show itself a lot of fun was poked at her (Beatrice Stockwell being a 'nightmare to work with' is a direct quote) that she happily accepted. I don't buy that she was a diva in this show at all.