Page: 1

Jersey Boys to West End

mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
Jersey Boys to West End#1
Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:36pm
At last! Here's a news item that Jersey Boys is finally coming to London. Here's a link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/bazbamigboye.html?in_page_id=1794&in_article_id=444121

I think the delay has been availability of the right theatre.

Hope the original cast will come over for at least a few months to launch the show here.

What do others think about the prospects for JB on this side of the pond?

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys to West End#2
Posted: 3/23/07 at 1:15pm
Not sure how it will do because i don't know much about it. Must say that a Mary Poppins tour sounds very good though re: Jersey Boys to West End
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys to West End#2
Posted: 3/23/07 at 1:23pm
Mary Poppins CANNOT close - London audiences adore it - and its such a LONDON show, i mean, its set in london for heavens sakes. I really hope that CML doesnt do this - he spent so long aquiring the rights to Mary Poppins in the first place...
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys to West End#3
Posted: 3/23/07 at 3:00pm
To be honest, am not keen at all on the show - just simply does not appeal to me though the OBC is great - and I would miss Mary Poppins in London, for me still one of the best shows in London.
But talking to several people in the business in the last weeks, I got the impression it is most likely the closure of Mary Poppins will happen.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys to West End#4
Posted: 3/23/07 at 6:25pm
I really want Jersey Boys to come over... maybe just a limited season like Caroline Or Change BUT not replacing Mary Poppins! NO NO NO way! It's like the best show in London! Broadway cudnt do the show well enough, it's like (apart from Billy Elliot) the most British show in London and one of the few shows now in London which originated in London and not a Broadway transfer (Wicked, Spamalot, Chicago...etc)
My suggestion:

close Phantom, put Les Mis into Her Majesty's
Put Jersey Boys into the Les Mis theatre (I JUST forgotten the name soz! :P)
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys to West End#5
Posted: 3/23/07 at 9:16pm
The Queens Ruthie...
I have o say i was told this news a couple of weeks ago, but i really cant see the logic....Edward is a huge theatre and something like this i cant see ever filling it! even for a short run, i just dont expect this to make money over here maybe in a small theatre but not Prince Edward! Mary has been doing so badly for ages now, from my friends who work there it does little more then 400 seats mid week mat and not much more on a week night, so am not surprised its closing at all.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys to West End#6
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:04pm
Nooooooooo! 'Mary Poppins' is wonderful, and that's coming from someone who was determined to hate it! Bahhhhh! *cries*
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys to West End#7
Posted: 6/21/07 at 1:16pm
So anyway! Let's separate this out appropriately, and mourn the passing of 'Mary Poppins' in 'Mary Poppins' threads, and celebrate the coming of 'Jersey Boys' in 'Jersey Boys' threads. ^_^

Welcome back to the "'Jersey Boys' to West End" thread! Please ignore my lamentations in the previous post, I've moved on. ^_^

So uh... what're the odds John Lloyd Young'll be doing some West End when this one opens? I'd love to see him in the role, and the various Equity groups do seem ridiculously open to throwing various different actors across the pond at the moment. Has anyone heard anything about potential casting, or is it all just rumour and speculation at this current time?
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys to West End#8
Posted: 6/21/07 at 2:05pm
I saw JB on Broadway when it first opened and it really is a great show and i saw it agian a few months back in San Francisco, again a top notch production. What i dont understand is the big fuss to get the Prince Edward. They lookked at the Adelphi and the Edward at the same time and had problems because of the set-this is what i dont understand. Yes its a big show but they set is not that much and is by no means a complictaed one. The Edward i think is maybe a little big for it whereas the Adelphi is the perfect size (they said the sightlines were bad at the Adelphi). When it gets here it will go down a storm but for how long we will have to wait and see. You all will enjoy it. And yes its a shame MP has to go as its sssso London as someone mentioned earlier
Ryan2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Jersey Boys to West End#9
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:00am
Mary Poppins just wasn't doing the buisness in the week. Expensive show to run. Its a fantastic and well-thought out show with so much love. I hope the tour does really well - three years is a long run and it re-couped so it was succesful.

Jersey Boys was due to go to a much smaller theatre until The Prince Edward looked to become available. I agree - the theatre will swamp the show and damage it in the longer run.

Personally i think the plan is to only keep it there for a short while and then transfer it as they could possibly really fill it for the first 3-6 months and take alot more money for the initial new-show rush and re-coup quicker than going to a theatre with a small capacity and take longer to re-coup. I think if it is to have any sort of long run in the West End it would have to go to a smaller house after about a year. Maybe Cam Mac has something bigger planned for that theatre in the long run and just needs a show in between ... ?
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys to West End#10
Posted: 6/22/07 at 3:07pm
Wasn't expecting JB to be my cup of tea, but I absolutely loved it when I saw it in New York. JLY, wow. I hope he comes over to London. It's tragic about MP, but it was never really the same since LMK left and I have less time for the show since CamMac decided to start messing around with Jolly Holiday. (Saying that, Gavin Creel is very talented & Scarlett's dancing is worth the ticket price alone!)
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Updated On: 6/22/07 at 03:07 PM
N.N Profile PhotoN.N Profile Photo
N.N
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys to West End#11
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:01am
I'm not sure about the buisness matter of Mary Poppins. However, MP is a wonderful Musical-Musical show. It's really uplifting. And besides it's very very London! I can't still believe MP will be closing. In terms of London culture, MP is a worth running show even if it is expensive. That is the same of Phantom and Les Miz. There are lots of unpopular shows like Chicago. Only MP will close, why?

I haven't seen Jersey Boys, but It seems that JB is a just juke box, not musical. Every number is not written for the show.
I don't understand why the excelent London musical is close instead of a juke box. Sorry JB, but I can't accept you are coming to the west end, replacing top-notch show Mary Poppins.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys to West End#12
Posted: 6/25/07 at 5:57am
Do we have to go through this all over again? It's nothing to do with Jersey boys that Mary Poppins is closing. If it wasn't JB, it would be some other show that replaces MP
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys to West End#13
Posted: 6/25/07 at 6:04am
Ryan 2 - what's the seating at the Prince Edward? On Broadway, JB plays at the August Wilson, which has about 1400 seats. I agree that in London it would be wise to go for a medium size theatre.Part of the dynamic of the show is the audience and I don't think it will have the impact unless the house is pretty full.

Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys to West End#14
Posted: 6/25/07 at 6:20am
The Edward has approx 1600 seats depending on the production. Its a pretty big house but has a very comfortable feel to it. The sightlines are pretty good from most areas given the size of the place. Its a big auditorium with less seating than smaller houses if you see what i mean. 'Jersey Boys' will do pretty well here due its location, the fact its a Tony Award winning production and Frankie Vallie was a masssive seller in the UK. Jersey Boys has a sense of class about it, a bit like the stunning 'Smokey Joes Cafe' (2 years in London and another year on tour) which i think sets it off from the other simular shows around. Saying that, i would have prefered it to play a smaller house. The Adelphi (the other choice for its producers) or The Prince Of Wales Theatre. London will buzz with this show as its opening approaches.
Updated On: 6/25/07 at 06:20 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys to West End#15
Posted: 6/25/07 at 7:23am
Although I'm glad that Jersey Boys is coming to London, I think the Prince Edward is far too big for it. I personally think the new London Theatre would have been a better choice as it has a good number of seats and it can adapted to suit any show. Perhaps Cameron Mackintosh could do a swap with Trevor Nunn and put JB into the New London and Gone with the Wind into the Prince Edward.
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys to West End#16
Posted: 6/25/07 at 8:04am
I agree the New London could possibly be a good venue for Jersey Boys but with a top capacity of around 1000 its a lot smaller than The Prince Edward and The Adelphi, come to think of it smaller than The August Wilson in NY too. Cameron knows exactly what he's doing with his new baby and we'll be seeing a great big hit next year that should get a two year run without a transfer. Transfers when they happen cost a lot of money so he has a business plan for the Edward.
Updated On: 6/25/07 at 08:04 AM
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys to West End#17
Posted: 6/25/07 at 8:04am
I agree the New London could possibly be a good venue for Jersey Boys but with a top capacity of around 1000 its a lot smaller than The Prince Edward and The Adelphi, come to think of it smaller than The August Wilson in NY too. Cameron knows exactly what he's doing with his new baby and we'll be seeing a great big hit next year that should get a two year run without a transfer. Transfers when they happen and cost a lot of money so he has a business plan for the Edward.
Ryan2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Jersey Boys to West End#18
Posted: 7/1/07 at 11:42am
That would never happen. CM is producing JB in London so it will keep costs down if its in one of his houses rather than somewhere like The New London.

My personal opinion on putting JB in the Prince Eddy is the simple fact they can re-coup quicker. Bigger house more tickets to sell. After about 6 or 9 months they could probably re-coup (and a shows always is more of a seller when it first opens) after that he could probably transfer into one of his smaller venues and in the 9 months whilst Jersey Boys has been playing he could find a bigger show to fill the venue (ACL, Mermaid, Young Frankenstein etc)