Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Shaftsbury Curse Continues#1
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:33pm
Shaftsbury Curse Continues

To close early 17 Feb 2007

Daddy Cool - Boney M Musical, which was booking to 1 Sep 2007, has posted early closing notices for 17 Feb 2007 at the Shaftesbury Theatre.

Daddy Cool opened at Shaftesbury Theatre 21 Sep 2006, following previews from 22 Aug, to reasonable notices from the popular press: THE DAILY TELEGRAPH says, "A raw, energetic production." BENEDICT NIGHTINGALE for THE TIMES says, "The casts’ energy is as impressive as its choreographic discipline." THE EVENING STANDARD says, "Daddy Cool, a thoroughly modern metropolitan musical, reliant upon hits from that best-selling band Boney M, left me little more than medium-warm." THE GUARDIAN says, "If only somebody had taken the time and trouble to sort out the book, which is short on craft and never finds a way to integrate the back story, this could be an evening with real zing."

The £3 million musical features a cast of 35, led by Sarah Moyle (who has recently replaced Michelle Collins) as nightclub owner ‘Ma Baker’, Solid Crew Member Harvey as ‘Shake’, the head of the SubSonic Kru, and Javine as ‘Asia Blue’, the lead singer in Ma Baker’s nightclub, Melanie La Barrie (Pearl), Camilla Beeput (Rose), Dwayne Wint (Sunny).

Set in multicultural London, to the music of 70s pop group Boney M (and other Frank Farian artists including Milli Vanilli and No Mercy), this new musical includes classics such as Rivers of Babylon, Brown Girl In The Ring, Ma Baker, Girl You Know It’s True, Where Do You Go, One Way Ticket, Mary’s Boychild.

Daddy Cool tells the story of ‘Sunny’, a young man who lives for his music. Caught up in local rivalry between East and West London crews, he meets and falls in love with ‘Rose’, daughter of the East End’s notorious club owner ‘Ma Baker’. Echoing Romeo and Juliet, the lovers’ relationship fuels the hostility between the two gangs, leaving their families face to face with past secrets and forcing them to confront their future.

Daddy Cool is directed by American-born Andy Goldberg, with the book by writer Amani Naphtali. Gurinder Chadha is Creative Associate. Choreography is by Sean Cheesman. Set and Costume design is by Jon Morrell, with Lighting design by David Hersey and Sound by Nick Lister for Autograph.

With music from Boney M and Frank Farian Productions, Musical Supervision is by Mike Dixon with orchestrations by Steve Sidwell.

TAKEN FROM LONDON THEATRE.co.uk

**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 04:33 PM
purpleprince101 Profile Photopurpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#2
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:13pm
i liked daddy cool
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#2
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:15pm
Ohhh, didn't see *that* coming at all(!)
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#3
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:43am
and yet another jukebox-musical closes quickly after its opening... how sad...

NOOOT!!!

This theatre house just can't find a long term "tenant", can it? The longest running productions since the 80s has been THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG, which played the Shaftesbury theatre for approx. 2,5 years, from fall 1980 to spring 1983.
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 07:43 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#4
Posted: 1/13/07 at 10:12am
Both Rent and Kiss of the Spiderwoman had more than respectable runs. Carousel did well, considering it had run for a long time at the National beforehand. Follies was just too expensive to run, but always did good business.

These were all wonderful productions- there are plenty of good reasons for wanting to put a production into the Shaftesbury.

Fingers crossed it gets Hairspray.
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#5
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:31am
Based purely on the length of the run, RENT did best job of these shows, running for almost 1,5 years.

RENT: opened May 12, 1998 - closed Oct 30, 1999

TOMMY: opened Mar 05, 1996 - closed Feb 08, 1997

KISS OF...: opened Oct 20, 1992 - closed Jul 17, 1993

CAROUSEL: opened Sep 19, 1993 - closed Mar 27, 1994

FOLLIES: opened Jul 21, 1987 - closed Feb 04, 1988

But the lenght of the run doesn't tell the whole truth about show's success. RENT for example, even though it ran as long as it did, didn't play to packed houses in August 1998 when I saw it. There were a lot of seats empty on both nights.

KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN won Evening Standard award for The Best Musical only a few weeks after it had opened! And the production transferred successfully to Broadway (where it opened May '93), winning seven Tony awards, including Best Musical, Best Musical Score and Best Actress (Chita Rivera). Even though it was obviously a hit (critically), it closed in London after 9 months after its opening.

I also hope they will put HAIRSPRAY into Shaftesbury. Perfect home for this feel-good show, intimate enough but still large enough.

Updated On: 1/13/07 at 11:31 AM
purpleprince101 Profile Photopurpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#6
Posted: 1/13/07 at 12:46pm
i hope hairspray transfers. it has about a 1, 350 seating capacity on broadway. list theatres
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#7
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:54am
Rent's run was pretty poor compared to New York and many other places.

They should have just let Footloose have the shaftsbury at least that way they would have had a show what would run.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#8
Posted: 1/14/07 at 4:49pm
Possibly a place for footloose to come back to???
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#9
Posted: 1/15/07 at 8:53am
Sant - small correction. Follies closed in Feb 1989 not 1988. It had a respectable run, but still shuttered with a loss of 40% on it's investment.

Though the house does seem unlucky, much of the 'curse' is just down to sub-standard shows - Lautrec, Napoleon, Daddy Cool etc wouldn't have lasted long anywhere in the West End

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 1/15/07 at 08:53 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#10
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:39am
Well it looks like it will live on through touring,its announced a world tour and a UK tour kicking of in manchester

Seems to be a strange move since its obviously closing early coz no one wants to see it?
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#11
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:45am
Doesn't look like good business sense has been a feature of this production to date...
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#12
Posted: 1/22/07 at 2:20pm
Two questions:

1. I read that there was a whole big deal about the married Harvey getting caught cheating with the female lead, who was cheating on her boyfriend. (They're popstars aren't they?) I know the show was doing well for awhile, could that incident and the negative press cause a downturn?

2. Spider Woman...aside from Chita and Bebe Neuwirth, who else played her at the Shaftesbury? Does anyone know where one can get pics of that production?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Musical_Fan_Vix
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#13
Posted: 1/22/07 at 3:35pm
Totally agree with the Footloose comment! But at least it is living on in a tour - can't wait for opening night! All booked and ready to go!
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shaftsbury Curse Continues#14
Posted: 1/22/07 at 3:54pm
everythingtaboo - as far as I know (I may be wrong here!) there were 3 actresses who played the leading role in London, Chita, Bebe and a third actress whose name I don't remember. The show closed only approx. 9 months after its opening.

Here's a link to a site which features some pictures of that original production.
http://theatre_chick.tripod.com/kiss-pix-obc.html

And some additional photos of B'way & tours & other productions
http://theatre_chick.tripod.com/kiss-pix-other.html
Updated On: 1/22/07 at 03:54 PM