Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November

Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#1
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:34pm
Kerry Ellis took over from Idina Menzel (who was apparently and unfortunately ill) after 'One Short Day' at this evening's performance. Get well soon Idina - but how did Kerry's first show go?
antiandrewx Profile Photoantiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#1
Posted: 11/8/06 at 8:15pm
Idina has tonsilitis (sp?) so she will most likely be out for a few days.
WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#2
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:21am
hmmmm, i have been hearing this tonsilitis rumor, where did you hear it cuz i'd really like to know if it's true, and yeah, how was Kerry?? But get well soon Idina!!!! *sends love*
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#3
Posted: 11/9/06 at 7:10am
I'm seeing it in two weeks....but seriously considering going sooner incase I can see Kerry.

I know I'm a geek.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#4
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:15am
I was sooo scared when i read this thread and had to look twice because i thought it said that Kerry was taking over on the the 8th!! lol!! Mini Heart attack!!! Going on either the 27th of Dec or the 3rd of Jan! Anyone know when she is leaving??
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#5
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:21am
Actually after reading this, i wouldnt mind seeing her!!!

http://wicked.lastminuteliving.com/
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#6
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:37am
I was just coming to post that link. I am glad to hear these rumors about Idina's near death experience (not on this board, but elsewhere) are not true, I really didn't think they were. And while I am sure Kerry is fabulous and from what I've *heard* when she was in Les Mis she is gonna be good, I also have to say that Martin would say she was fabulous even if she wasn't because the producers are the ones who asked him to do the blog and I don't think they'd like him saying, "She sucks, don't come see her, once Idina leaves this show is going to hell in a hand-basket." But I hope Idina gets better real soon so the people who are going specifically to see her get to and Kerry will get her chance soon, Idina leaves in less than two months.
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#7
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:58am
I saw her in Les Mis on one of her last performances and she blew me away!! She was the only one in the the show that made me cry!
avab802 Profile Photoavab802 Profile Photo
avab802
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#9
Posted: 11/9/06 at 1:08pm
So is this tonsilitis rumor true? I saw the show last Saturday night (the 4th) and spoke to her at the stage door, and she didn't sound ill at all. She is a trooper if she performed the matinee & half the evening show with tonsilitis.
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#10
Posted: 11/9/06 at 1:26pm
she leaves on 30th of decemember in time to go back home for new year. sold out
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#11
Posted: 11/9/06 at 2:36pm
No, she just has a cold or something...... Go to the link posted above by benny123 and Martin makes it sound like she was just worn out from having done a show and half and knew she couldn't make it through Defying Gravity. I hear that she is not on tonight though either, anyone heard anything about that? And for widgetsparky, have you heard somewhere that her last day is official?? Cuz there has been a lot of speculation and all the "Wicked people" have ever said, is "until the new year" but Martin said in his blog the final date wasn't certain yet.
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#12
Posted: 11/9/06 at 3:39pm
So is this tonsilitis rumor true? I saw the show last Saturday night (the 4th) and spoke to her at the stage door, and she didn't sound ill at all. She is a trooper if she performed the matinee & half the evening show with tonsilitis.

well, I mean, it could def be true, but I HIGHLY doubt that its as bas as some people are making it out to be re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November Actually, its kind of funny to think that the FIRST time she's every been out everyones like "oh my god is she ok!?!? she must be super super sick!" Its like... give the girl a break, she's only missed a half of a show so far! Wait to be speculating about a severe illness till she's been out for like.. at LEAST a few shows!! lol. Its probably just... a bad cold thats gotten to the point where it affects her voice some so she didn't want to push it too hard is my guess. She IS really a trooper though, cause having a bad cold or a sore throat or whatever is NO FUN. I have SUCH a hard time just making myself go to school when I'm sick like that, let alone having to perform a show two times in one day! haha
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 03:39 PM
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#13
Posted: 11/9/06 at 4:49pm
Is it 100% she is leaving on the 30th cos i heard she might be extending for a week or two??
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#14
Posted: 11/9/06 at 5:50pm
Yup that's what I've heard too, so if anyone finds anything official, please let us know!!!!
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#16
Posted: 11/9/06 at 7:08pm
On the off chance that Idina Menzel would be at home cradling a Lemsip (get well soon) I booked a seat to see Kerry Ellis (9th Nov). When I got to the theatre there were a few pieces of A4 stuck to the doors announcing that Elphaba would indeed be played at this performance by Kerry Ellis.

I know that a lot of people who post here are in the business - I'm just a punter who buys tickets and I'd not seen or heard Kerry Ellis before. I thought she was great. Vocally amazing - such a rich belter of a voice with a beautifully silky vibrato. Her acting needs to loosen up a little and she needs to project a bit more - but she is a stunning performer.

The powerhouse set piece songs - 'Wizard and I', 'Defying Gravity' and 'No Good Deed' she nailed completely. The harmonies with Helen Dallimore on 'For Good' were very sweet indeed.

Idina's obviously dragged in the crowds over the last month or three - when Kerry gets the role all to herself I think she'll continue to do the business.
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 07:08 PM
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#17
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:28pm
YAY, maybe they will recycle Kerry to the US after she's done in London in a year or so..... that will be the closest the US will ever get to a new actress in this role. I don't mind this recycling that much, but as much as I love Idina and will always think of her as Elphie, there are other people who can play this role *coughShoshanacough*

GET WELL SOON IDINA!!!!
eternaldark
Swing
Swing
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#18
Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:39am
It's true, Indina was out sick tonight. It's a terrible thing for my 2 teenage children who traveled to London from Utah with their Dad, specifically to see Menzel and had tickets for this performance. My daughter was so disappointed she cried through Act 1. What are the chances? I feel so bad for her. They have seen wonderful, amazing things during their trip, but they saved the Wicked play for the end and have looked forward to seeing Menzel for months. I can't even believe their bad luck.
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#19
Posted: 11/10/06 at 3:45am
That is so terrible, I am sooooooo sorry for them. I know the feeling though, my family and I bought tickets months in advance for the closing show of Les Mis in Seattle to see Randal Keith then he wasn't in the show...... we were so disappointed. At least it sounds like Kerry was amazing too, cuz the understudy we got for Valjean, he was awful, he couldn't act to save his life.
K2503 Profile PhotoK2503 Profile Photo
K2503
Understudy
Understudy
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#20
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:09am
"It's a terrible thing for my 2 teenage children who travelled to London from Utah with their Dad, specifically to see Menzel and had tickets for this performance. My daughter was so disappointed she cried through Act 1. What are the chances? I feel so bad for her. They have seen wonderful, amazing things during their trip"

I know I am going to be criticised for this: yes they probably are disappointed but when you book to see a show, everyone one of us stands the chance of not seeing a principal actor(ess) in the role. It is life, people are out and things go wrong. I waited months to take my mother to see Billy Elliott for her 80th birthday, as we wanted the best seats - and on that performance the ballet scene went wrong and (according to the stage manageress) Billy could not fly. We had a 5min pause.... it carried on. No one died! If I had been sitting next to someone crying all through act one they would have got no sympathy from me (quite the opposite)! They have been to Europe and "seen amazing things" - think themselves lucky I say!

Sorry if I sound hard but this whole Idina "fan thing" mystifies me completely. The show is wonderful I enjoyed it very much - but look at the comments Kerry got - no one person is bigger than a set piece show like Wicked. Yes, an actor(ess) who is first in a role is always going to be held out as the definitive performance, but things move on, and a much better interpretation of Elphaba is going to come along some day believe me!

Mind you I did see and AmDram production of Gypsy once, and there will never be such a bad interpretaion of Mama Rose - ever!
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#21
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:54am
Bit of a baptism of fire for her wasn't it....you come on to your first song which is the biggest number in the show infront of a confused crowd and still get glowing 'reviews'.

Can't wait to see her next year now. It's going to be great hearing someone else in the part.
eternaldark
Swing
Swing
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#22
Posted: 11/10/06 at 9:52am
Maybe I should have said.... cried silently... through the first act. Her brother and Dad said only they noticed the tears sliding down her cheeks now and then. In any case, I thought it was strong reaction myself seeing as she has been cast as the understudy in musicals herself....and never got a chance to perform in the role for an audience. She should have been happy for Kerry. She did say she thought "the understudy was great." Still, you get 15 year old reactions from a 15 year old. (And I am sure she didn't bother anyone sitting around her.) Her Dad told her that IF Indina is back tonight, and IF they can get her a ticket, she can see Wicked again tonight and skip the museums and early bed time (or whatever they were going to do on their last night.)

Now my question is: Does anyone know if Indina is feeling better and will she be back for tonight's show???
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#23
Posted: 11/10/06 at 10:19am
From what I've heard Idina will be back on Saturday.
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#24
Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:50pm
I'm sorry, I'm gonna be really annoying for just a sec because it bugs me haha- eternaldark, its Idina, not Indina re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November ok, done being a snob now! lol

anyway, as much as I dont LIKE this fact being true, I can totally understand that kind of dissapointment. I really can. Because if I somehow magically got the chance to go to london and see wicked before the end of december, I would be UTTERLY devastated if I didn't get to see Idina. And I know I shouldn't be- understudies can be absolutely incredible, and I'm sure kerry is wonderful. But its just.. it would litterally be a dream come true for me to get to see idina in wicked. I know thats probably silly, but I cant help it- its true. Its not that other people arent just as talented as she is... its just that I have the BIGGEST attachment to her in the role. If I saw another production of wicked specifically knowing idina wouldn't be there,I would be ok with that- because I would be accepting that I'm seeing it for the show and not for idina and everything.. so I'd go in open minded. But if I went all the way to london because it means that much to me to see idina, and she wasnt there? I would be BEYOND upset. And K2503, I totally agree with you- in a perfect world it really wouldnt matter- because as long as the show was still effective, thats all that should really matter. But, for me, its just not. It would be a LOT easier if it was, because then I'd be able to see any production of wicked and get the same amount of enjoyment out of it. But idina just...is elphie for me. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that without her,for me, the show would just be... a show. A very enjoyable one, mind you, but a show nonetheless. For whatever reason, Idina being in it just makes it go from a regular show for me to a really emotional experience. So yeah, basically, I can really understand the dissapointment :) That said, it still IS very cool that they got to go to london, and see wicked there! Even without idina, it seems like a much better show there than it is here- just because of the few changes they've made in the writing and staging and stuff :) so I would hope that it wasnt a completely dissapointing experience for them!

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 11/10/06 at 01:50 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#25
Posted: 11/10/06 at 3:40pm
Well muggins here flew to New York from England for the 9th January performance and I'm sure we all know how that turned out! :P Granted, I did get a second chance when Idina came to London, but I didn't know that at the time. And Shoshana Bean was great in the role, even though it must've been a nightmare being Elphaba on that particular day when so many people were there for Idina. It's just one of those things that happens; on one level, I found it pretty cool getting an Elphie who *wasn't* Idina, seeing as she was all I was used to thanks to the cast recording. :P
eternaldark
Swing
Swing
re: Kerry Ellis was Elphaba on 8 November#26
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:22pm
Thanks you for correcting me...Idina ...not Indina Got it now. I am not the big fan that my daughter is, obviously.

Page: 1