DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007

RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#0
Posted: 9/29/06 at 10:33am
Drowsy Chaperone will premiere in London Summer 2007.

Casting begins for the production this Winter

Sally Ann Triplett, Elaine Paige and Michael Ball in in talks to star!

Bob Martine expected to reprise

Tickets expected to be on sale by end of year

Same producers as Broadway show. They are looking at The Piccadilly Theatre/Shaftesbury Theatre & Cambridge Theatre as venues.

watch this space
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#1
Posted: 9/29/06 at 11:02am
plz take the Shaftesbury, I want Guys & Dolls and Chicago to go on.
I hope Sally Ann plays the chaperone!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#2
Posted: 9/29/06 at 11:13am
I doubt very much Ball will star as he is doing Kismet. In my view this shows needs a strong cast with names to pull in the crowds here. Its a risky show to bring over, if it goes to The Shaftesbury I think it would struggle, without a named cast anyway. Needs a central theatre, strong marketing and decent advance booking period.

I would guess the Adelphi would be another option? although isnt hairspray finally hoping to arrive next year?
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#3
Posted: 9/29/06 at 6:07pm
Depends on when in the summer it comes over.Michael Ball is doing Kismet end of Jun/July next year but if your looking for a name MB is a cert to put bums on seats.....home ground and all.
actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#4
Posted: 9/29/06 at 9:04pm
The Drowsy Chaperone is possibly the funniest show currently on Broadway. I'm glad it's coming to London.
Updated On: 9/29/06 at 09:04 PM
pattifan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#5
Posted: 9/30/06 at 5:40am
I was so pleased to read this was transferring. The Shaftesbury would be a bad idea for this show. As NS said, it would struggle there - it needs a more central location. Pity that Ball won't be available for the show - just the kind of name that the show will need.
...fragment of the day...
MimiLovesRoger Profile PhotoMimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#6
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:15pm
drowsy is simply the best.
Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#7
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:01am
I think this show would work incredibly well in London. Truth be told, THE DROWSY CHAPERONE is a lot more like the British musicals of the 1920s than the Broadway couterparts...
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#8
Posted: 10/2/06 at 6:31am
How right you are!

I have been listening to the OBC recording of "Drowsy" and it is a lovely pastiche and homage to the musical comedies of the 1920's and 30's. Very "The Boyfriend", "Salad Days" etc with aspects of "42nd Street" thrown in for good measure.

I think British audiences will warm to it!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#9
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:38pm
I wish Sutton Foster would come over alongside Bob Martin
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Theatrebore101 Profile PhotoTheatrebore101 Profile Photo
Theatrebore101
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#10
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:41pm
glad to hear it is comming over here, hope elaine is in it, please take the Shaftesbury!!

lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#11
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:18am
True, it may bear more resemblance to British musicals of the 20's and 30's, but those type of shows dont garner much of an audience generally over here any more, whereas they still do in the states, so Drowsy will have an uphill struggle to market and sell itself if it transfers.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#12
Posted: 10/3/06 at 4:29am
I feel the commentary provided by the Man in the Chair, more than makes up for what could otherwise be a very dated musical!

His comments, observations and opinions are barbed and tounge in cheek to say the least.

I believe it is a very short show with no interval and a strong emphasis on fun, fun, fun!

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#13
Posted: 10/3/06 at 9:19am
have to agree with lifeisacabaret, if Millie didnt sell (quite a well known film) I think Drowsy has its work cut out. Those kind of flapper, old fashioned 20's and 30's shows dont seem to do so well in the uk at the moment. Wish it luck though and be nice to see it over here. If its only a short show with no interval I hope the ticket prices will reflect that!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#14
Posted: 10/3/06 at 5:33pm
It's always good to have any new show make the trip across the pond from New York to London but I have reservations as to whether this will fare very well over here. I saw it on Broadway in the summer and, though quite a pleasant evening, it certainly did not blow me away. The humour I found very forced and certainly very American. And the score is "nice" and very clever pastiche but nothing startling. And if it goes into the "kiss of death" Shaftesbury, I fear the worst. Much better shows than this have failed miserably there.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#15
Posted: 10/3/06 at 6:52pm
*sigh*

Luckily West End producers seem to have more faith in Broadway imports than the online community. I seem to recall doom and gloom in times gone by about Wicked and Avenue Q being "too American".

Millie didnt sell as it was a lousy production and in the Shaftesbury. I'm sorry but Amanda Holdenlet that whole thing down. That and the fact its not the greatest of shows to begin with.

Love Drowsy and can definitely see Sally Ann as the Chaperone! Although having seen Beth Leavel she has a high bar to meet.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#16
Posted: 10/4/06 at 8:57am
No, my money would be on Elaine Paige as the Chaperone.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#17
Posted: 10/5/06 at 8:49am
Great comedy role with a very amusing song to sing.

Elaine is a good choice as are Judi Dench (totally wishful thinking); Julia McKenzie and possibly Diana Rigg.
Norma D Profile PhotoNorma D Profile Photo
Norma D
Understudy
Understudy
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#18
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:05am
Just listened to the soundtrack and haven't seen the show--but I think Elaine would be great as the chaperone, but it's not a part with many big numbers. Wouldn't Sally Ann be being considered for Janet?
Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men. --Margo Channing
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#19
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:14pm
The show is wonderful! I saw it on Broadway two nights before the Tonys. It has been called "The word of Mouth Musical". It is now doing pretty well and I think word of mouth has helped it. I hope to see it again when I am back in New York in the Spring.
Just give the world Love.
bohemianqueen Profile Photobohemianqueen Profile Photo
bohemianqueen
Understudy
Understudy
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#20
Posted: 11/4/06 at 8:44pm
Well Mr Woods, for starters - your totally off the mark with the theatres for 'Drowsy Chaperone' a theatre has been chosen, just waiting to be signed and it's none on your list - but for contract reasons I can't divulge which one as yet, also the show will be starting possibly as early as April next year, not summer.

Also reading some past posts, I saw you slated *MuSiCaLs_FaN* for being a 'FOH' who generally know nothing - well this user was correct in saying 'Jersey Boys' was only a rumour about the Novello and not confirmed - this is true, and seeing as you don't appear to even work at the theatre I doubt you should be questioning this user or 'westendartist1' about the authenticity of their posts as yours very often arn't correct either - so don't be so quick to judge! you don't know EVERYTHING that is going on in the west end - NO-ONE does! And most of the talk on this forum is speculation and/or gossip!
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me....any way the wind blows
FP
Swing
Swing
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#21
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:18am
bohemianqueen, it's now pretty much common knowledge that it is going to be the Novello.
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#22
Posted: 11/7/06 at 5:52am
Yes it is going to The Novello, from May 2007.

When i posted originaly, The Novello was NOT an option as Jersey Boys was entering - now it is not and the Drowsy Chaperone got it. They were going to The Piccadilly - now Guys and Dolls will carry on until a show is found (Me and My Girl/Take That Musical possbile)
david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#23
Posted: 11/7/06 at 6:35am
sutton foster needs to come over and open the show. it's about time she made her west-end debut!
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: DROWSY CHAPERONE LONDON 2007#24
Posted: 11/7/06 at 8:37am
Think it will close within a few months