Your "OMG How did they do that" moments

Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Your "OMG How did they do that" moments#0
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:32am
Ok ripped this off the broadway board but thought to try it on here.. For me it was the mirror in scrooge (but later worked on it and found out hehe!) and the bannister Mary Poppins. go ahead - post away!!!!!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
Mary Poppins was completely jam packed full of OMG moments!!! Also, i saw Chitty at the Palladium and again at Birmingham Hippodrome last week and although i know how the car flies, it was physically impossible to see the mechanism - which for a child or someone who doesnt go to the theatre often, must make it increasingly magical.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I agree the staircase in Mary Poppins and also during Spoonful Of Sugar when she makes a table from a cloth (I think). I know not quite the same thing but the cheoreography to Supercali amazes me.

Chitty flying is another. I reckon Wicked will be full of these moments as well.

The Phantom vanishing at the end of POTO and the beasts transformation in Beauty and the Beast. And chip in Beaty and the Beast.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I agree with NS bout the transformation! Its great! And also the wardrobe in Beauty and the beast! Amazin!!!!!
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The prolouge and the overture of the phantom of the opera you just get shocked that such a transformtation can take place on stage!!
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
As far as MARY POPPINS goes the whole thing is an OMG, NS I totally agree with you the choreography in SUPERCALI always fascinates me tho in during that whole number my eyes are always on MARY!!! I still can't work out how Valentine comes out of the doll house at the beginning of TEMPER TEMPER as you can see the back of it so there is no trap door...we always wonder about that every time we see it!
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
**Spoiler**
. Well i've only seen MP once but i have done SFX work before so can presume how it works. well you will notice that the table has very long legs for the hatstand etc and another table with short legs for temper temper. The table with the long legs has a false front which is painted to look like the back wall. the table top has a false door in it that when the carpet bag is lined up the bottom drops out hense the hatsand and plant.. The dolls house samll table has a false floor in it like the bag - so the pretty skinny actor can get up thourgh the table - stick his arm out - and then before he is revealed a standhand or automation will snap the floor up behind him. if you watch this video you can see him step out over the ledge. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwcLljC8gM
Updated On: 8/22/06 at 01:02 PM
Matty
Understudy
Understudy
PLEASE tell me how they did the mirror thing in scrooge, and also the one where the woman appears in the chair after it spins round once.
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
matty, Firstly - The ghost of christmas past is in the chair literlally though the whole scene from when scroge enters through jacob marley till she appears - so effectively scrooge sits on her! she is inside and she controls the spin with her feet when shes out of view she rolls up the back of the chair and pulls herself up and a new chair comes out of the frame of the chair you can see- she spins the chair round herself voila! its really uncomfatable in that chair! as for the mirror. its not actually the mirror that moves its a patch underneath behind the stairs blended to look like the wall. Once she has put her hood up (which is wired to keep the head shape) 3 stage crew are behind the mirror to open up the flap pull her through (literally) and stick her on a black trolley , a stage hand in a balaclava then pulls the trolley back and lx cue goes to fade whihc looks like she vanished a blakc cloth is put behind of the mirror so she can move without being seen. :)
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My oh my god moment was when i was sat watching starlight express in 97.
I turned to my freind after 30 mins and said Oh My God how did this show ever get this far hehehehe
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#10
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:00am
Although they are not everyones taste, Cats and Starlight Express did introduce lots of kids to theatre, which is a brilliant acheivement. Cats was my first big musical at the age of 11, and thats what got me hooked.
ladyofthelake
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#11
Posted: 8/27/06 at 10:05pm
On the Spamalot OBCR where Sara Ramirez belts high D natural at the end of "Diva's Lament". As I sing it in the car at the top of my lungs I think, "Why can't I do that?" Maybe I'm just not talented.
"My sister singing. During the Viet Nam War, I wrote President Johnson that we should fly our jets over Hanoi without bombs but with tapes of my sister singing. I believed that the North Vietnamese would have surrendered unconditionally after two weeks of listening to my sister's singing voice." wexy, on the worst sound in the world.
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#12
Posted: 8/28/06 at 10:02am
NS you know why i hate starlight grrrrrrrrr

Dont make me come over there and sort you out hehehehe
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
yeah i know lol

Didnt know at the time of writing though. I agree when I eventually saw Starlight in southampton last year it was a disappointment, but I can see why people do love it. from a kids point of view it must be like 'wow'
jazz
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
another omg how did they do that moment...the witch transformation in INTO THE WOODS
my jaw hit the floor...
Song & Dance
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Boqs transformation in WICKED was good Not Giving to much away as major plot twist
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, seconding the Boq thing. I've figured out pretty much all of the quick costumes changes *except* that one. Best I can figure is James Gillan is a NIPPY dresser! Would be pleased if anyone could fill me in, by PM to avoid spoilers. re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My first OMG moment was when Anna Jane Casey did the split at the end of I Can't Do It Alone, well... at the end of her All That Jazz as well and Sharon Clarke at the same performance, her ending for her Mama song! That performance was full of 'OMG How did they do that?!'
The other is when Brooke Shields was Roxie I was like 'OMG! How can they do that?? Put this horrid actress onto this stage!'
Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot, Bombay Dream's fountain makes me OMG! hehe
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I saw Beauty and the Beast on Saturday at Milton Keynes, how does the Beast transform? That was rather amazing. Although one of the wires broke during the transformation so they had to shut the show down for 10 minutes and then re-start. But really really amazing.

Also obviously the car in Chitty is brilliant...you know how it works but I still couldn't see the mechanism!
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#19
Posted: 9/11/06 at 10:16am
**SPOILER**

Simply a Body Double of the beast around the other side of the turrety thing
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#20
Posted: 9/11/06 at 10:38am
Ahhh I thought so - must say though the fact that you couldn't really tell even with the technical mis-hap was really good.
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
**spoiler**

Boq also used a body double, then wheel the real boq behind the dresser, then the stand in all in metal sits in the chair backing the audience, then the few lines boq had are pre recorded and the guy just lips it. (didnt think it was all that clever when i saw it) Im more interested on how they get the portraits on the walls to "invert" their colour scheme when elphaba goes on the blitz in the scene when they try to seperate her from nessa.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When the phantom disappears at the end of the Phantom of the Opera.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With regards to the portrait thing, I'd just presume they're computer projections. Easiest thing in the world to invert colour schemes with one o' them. ^_^

Can't believe I didn't notice a Boq body double. Could've SWORN it was the same guy, and I was in the fourth row of stalls! Could this be an excuse to see the show again? I'm thinking... perhaps! re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments *might wait until Kerry takes over though*
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your 'OMG How did they do that' moments#24
Posted: 9/15/06 at 12:08pm
*** SPOILER!!! ***
Boq's transformation is made by using a body double. Wasn't sure of this until I saw the show last time in NYC from a seat which was 3rd from the end of the row. Jeffrey Kuhn - who was Boq - wasn't paying attention and the audience sitting in stalls left could see his feet as he walked off stage behind the wardrobe.