Page: 1

Does anyone know what changes are being made to Mary poppins when it transfers to Broadway?

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Does anyone know and why are they making changes??
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't know what they're changing. Hope they don't change too much, I like the way it is in London.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Updated On: 8/2/06 at 03:37 PM
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are rumors that they'd cut the "Temper, Temper" scene because it is too frightening or scary...
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
Oh no, they can't cut 'Temper Temper'! I understand that this may not be as appreciated by a younger audience but i though it to be a very valid addition to the stage show to be honest. The ensemble came across really strongly in this number as well i though.
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Temper Temper wont be cut but they are cutting Jolly Holiday.
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
As long as they don't cut Miss Andrew...she really is FAB!!! I love the show just the way it is, I wonder how long Scarlett is going to be playing Mary tho...any ideas anyone????
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"As long as they don't cut Miss Andrew...she really is FAB!!! I love the show just the way it is, I wonder how long Scarlett is going to be playing Mary tho...any ideas anyone????"

I dont think theyve announced it but it could probably be anything up to 2 years.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think that Jolly Holiday needs to be cut, but it does need a re-think - it was a bit of a low spot in Act One and the one thing I'd thought they would change between Bristol and London...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I quite liked Temper Temper, but Jolly Holiday was awful I thought, pointless. Anything Can Happen is a great number but doesnt really serve a purpose. The biggest problem I thought was the story was quite thin and was justa way of joining numbers together.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you not get the point of the show? It was about the reconnection of a father to his children and to his wife, as well as the re-discovery by Mr Banks of a childhood that had been cut short by his nanny.

And dancing chimney sweeps re: Does anyone know what changes are being made to Mary poppins when it transfers to Broadway?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I loved Temper Temper! And also Jolly Holiday! Maybe just cos my freind played Nelues the statue lol! o well as long as they dont cut step in time im happy!
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Understudy
Understudy
i thought the story was very good in this musical! i dont agree that the dialogue and plot was just stringing the songs togther, if anything the film is more guilty of that!
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
They cant cut Jolly Holiday, thats even worse than cutting Temper Temper! I really liked the staging of Jolly Holiday and the orchestration is much better than the song in the film in my opinion.

I think there is some kind of cast change at the end of October time but i'm not sure who it applies to, i dont think it applies to Scarlett. It better not, im dreading the day that she goes. Its going to take a pretty strong performer to beat Scarlett's performance. Oh well, hopefully this wont be any time too soon!
Elmokid Profile PhotoElmokid Profile Photo
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
i heard a rumour that Scarlett is Leaving at the end of October to do some play in Stratford and Lisa O Hare is going to return to play mary(after she was the second u/s).
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
Okay, i admit that Lisa O'Hare is a brilliant actress, i saw her as Eliza in My Fair Lady as understudy for Amy Nuttall and she was fantastic. However, in comparison to Scarlett in Mary P, she's got her work cut out! If she can pull it out the bag then great, we will just have to wait and see.
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought Laura Michelle was an outstanding mary and was dissapointed when she left, but i saw scarlett at the Queens party and she looks just as gr8! Does any1 know what Laura's up to at the moment?
Elmokid Profile PhotoElmokid Profile Photo
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
well she has released a solo album and is going to be in a charity concert of 'In the woods' i think
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I have gone through the Mary Poppins cast programmes original and current cast and cannot find the name of lisa o hare under under studies for Mary Poppins...I would love to see Amy nuttall play MP I think she would be great!!
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Updated On: 8/3/06 at 06:16 PM
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
"I have gone through the Mary Poppins cast programmes original and current cast and cannot find the name of lisa o hare under under studies for Mary Poppins"

Lisa O'Hare was in the original cast (ensemble) till (I think) July 2005 when she left to join My Fair Lady. She was second understudy for Mary Poppins. I got to see her once as Mary Poppins in April 2005 and she was fantastic.
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
Laura Michelle Kelly will be playing Cinderella in the revival of Into the Woods in London....so suited for that part, she will be brilliant!

Also, she released her album not too long ago....
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
and like so many MT performers before her, the dreams of pop stardom came to bugger all. not exactly a surprise- she should (and i suspect, probably now will) stick to what she's extremely good at- musical theatre.
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
I think its a shame because LMK is amazing, she's got such a gorgeous voice. But i do agree, perhaps she is in a safer space doing musical theatre where she has already established herself. But well done to her for attempting a music career, it takes guts to step out of your comfort zone! She has got a new single coming out over the next few weeks called 'Communication' but i am yet to here this so i dont know what its like. I really liked 'There Was A Time' though, lovely song.