Page: 1

Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#0
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:17am
Well, I know this is kind of random but I just learned that she has been on the Chicago West End cast at least twice and I wanted to know what your thoughts are. I live in Florida, US and I am only familiar w/Frances Ruffelle's work on Les Miserables. Anyone got any reviews?
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
S.Berg
Swing
Swing
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#1
Posted: 11/16/05 at 2:11am
The words awful,affected, irritating and annoying spring to mind. I have to say, I was seriously considering walking out during her Roxie number, she dragged it out to the point where I just wanted to scream. Also her tone of voice in that show drove me mad.

I liked her voice on the Les Mis recording which is why I was extra disappointed by her performance in Chicago. Nothing against her personally, she might be a wonderful person for all I know, but I have never seen a more irritating performance on a stage in my life and I have seen "Tonight's the Night", so that means something!!!!
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#2
Posted: 11/16/05 at 10:03pm
Awww, I'm so disappointed to hear that. Most people prefer Lea Salonga's Eponine to Frances Ruffelle's, I've only heard both performances, never seen them, but I've always preferred Ruffelle. I was hoping she'd be Roxie on Broadway because I'd figure she'd be amazing, it's so disappointing she was not as appealing in the role as I thought she'd be. Thanks for your review though :)
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Desperado
Swing
Swing
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#3
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:35am
Only thing I like Lea in is "A Whole New World." and the King And I recording.

Frances > Lea
AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought Frances was superb in the role. I really liked her performance, it was a much more controlled performance than I've seen other girls give (Claire Sweeney -urgh!). She played a very sexy Roxie and delivered a great vocal performance.
With regards to 'Les Mis' I think Lea falls well short of Frances, it may be better sung, but she doesn't communicate the part like Frances did. Frances communicates the pathos of the part like no other. Her 'A Little Fall of Rain' is heartbreaking.
StephanietheStar Profile PhotoStephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#5
Posted: 1/8/06 at 10:53pm
How long will Ruffelle be in Chicago?

I'll be in London from Jan 18th-May 10th..hoping I can still catch her!
and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought she was awful when I saw her in Chicago - surprisingly wooden and awkward, and as S.Berg said, her tone of voice was incredibly grating.

Having said that, she was much better in the Jason Robert Brown concert in December, so it must just have been an dodgy acting choice...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

*ASH*
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#7
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:08am
I thought she was awesome in Chicago!
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#8
Posted: 1/22/06 at 8:06pm
How is Darius in Chicago?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#9
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:46pm
I saw Frances Ruffelle a few years ago in Flaherty and Ahrens's "Lucky Stiff" at the Bridewell and she was delightful. More recently, she performed with Jason Robert Brown at the New Players' Theatre - and she was simply awesome. When she sang "Letting You Go", it was heart-wrenching.

I would recommend anyone to go see her in anything!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#10
Posted: 2/9/06 at 8:36am
Darius actually sounded like Kerit the Frog...and wasnt great...but wasnt awful.

I only went to see it last week because it was Linzi Hately's first night as Roxie....

I fooking love that woman....she is simply awesome!

xxxx
angel_star Profile Photoangel_star Profile Photo
angel_star
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#11
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:44am
Are you kidding!?!
Lea is amazing! I think Ruffelle has a really breathy, forced voice with hardly any quality, especially in the les mis original cast recording!
Lea is also so versatile, having played roles from eponine to Sandy in Grease! You cant get any more different roles!
FoscasBohemianDream
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Frances Ruffelle in Chicago-Opinions#12
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:53am
Yes you can get more different roles, try going from Eponine to Roxie Hart. That is a versatile actress, Frances Ruffelle's voice might be hard on the ear to some, but not only do I find her voice to be amazing, but she is a true performer. She doesn't only sing a song, but she becomes the character, and she reveals so many emotions at once. Her Roxie Hart was full of sexual energy and her dancing was good as well.