Page: 1

Lord of the Rings re-visited

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#1
Posted: 3/8/11 at 5:57pm
With the arachnid-fiasco growing more ridiculous by the day, my thoughts were directed to another large-scale super-musical that had a troubled run.

I saw 'The Lord of the Rings' 3 times in London, partly because I loved the score and some of the staging, and partly because I knew I'd not see quite so much money on stage again for a long time.

I just watched the DVD in the cast recording package for the first time, and was struck by the beauty and craft of a lot of the design. Also, it was noticeable how much pain and sadness were in the eyes of the cast and productive team in the rehearsal shots. It looked like they had a fight on their hands!

In retrospect though, at least they got a show on, and at times it was a hell of a show. The whole production deserves praise for actually coping with the shear scale of it all! Such a shame all that effort didn't quite pay off.

Listening to the CD, I realized I'd sooner watch this show again, than any number of more successful productions!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#2
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:22pm
I suffered through LOTR once. Wild horses would not drag me to it a second time. I agree the set design was stunning. But you don't come out humming the set. And with this show I didn't come out humming the songs either. I found the score bland and boring. I found the dialogue hackneyed and boring. (But then I found the first LOTR movie incredibly boring - could not face watching the others.) I know millions love the movies and many loved the show. But I'm afraid I found it to be pure torture.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 3/8/11 at 06:22 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Lord of the Rings re-visited#2
Posted: 3/9/11 at 3:53pm
I saw the show 3 times in its run (including closing night). I loved it!
The staging was just so immense, matching the sound! The huge cast gave their all each time I saw it and I still regularly listen to the cast recording to remember the experience I had.
It cost so much money that It had to fill that huge theatre and didn't manage to it seems. I think one of the problems was the amount of cuts there had to be from the source, from people I spoke to lovers of the film or book hated it but those that went in blind (like me) loved it. I know my friend (who loves Phantom, Les Mis etc..) hated it with a passion.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#3
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:27pm
I was dragged to Lord of the Rings. I didn't like the films or the books. I absolutely loved the stage production. It had its flaws, most noticeably in the fight scenes, but I thought the score was sumptuous and instantly memorable. And the choreography for the Hobbits was inspired. Immediately upon leaving the theatre, I stated that it was the perfect show to move into the (now) Foxwoods Theatre where Spider-Man is currently (sort-of) running. I think it had every chance of being that theatre's first hit show.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#4
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:42pm
I enjoyed it, not amazing, not really that memorable, but I'm glad I was able to see it.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#5
Posted: 3/9/11 at 5:06pm
Mister Matt, you reminded me of Peter Darling's exceptional choreography. Best choreographer working, in my view.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#6
Posted: 3/9/11 at 7:26pm
Hated every second of it, some nice staging and sets but the rest was horrid, ranks as one of my least fave shows along with Rent Remixed
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
metropolis10111 Profile Photometropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Lord of the Rings re-visited#7
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:22pm
I loved that show. Me and my husband made a trip from Chicago to London just to see it and were thrilled with it. Looking at all the behind the scenes videos and stuff it really was hell that the cast went through but the show was wonderful that they put on. I heard that the Germany thing is still a go with it. I sooooo want to see this again
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Lord of the Rings re-visited#8
Posted: 3/10/11 at 4:57am
Loved the set and the hobit stuff before the show started.
Could have slept from then on.
Sean2 Profile PhotoSean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Lord of the Rings re-visited#9
Posted: 3/10/11 at 2:45pm
Devonian.t, thanks for mentioning 'The Lord of the Rings'. I was dragged to see it and ended up absolutely loving it. I wish I had been able to see it more than once. Was there a dvd in the cd recording? I bought the cast recording on iTunes, so I'm not aware of it.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#10
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:01pm
The ending of the first act is still the most impressive piece of special effects I've ever witnessed on stage. The effect from the stalls was jaw-dropping. The Cat and the Fiddle and Lothlorien are two of the most-played tracks on my mp3 player.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#11
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:54pm
Hey Sean2, in the 2 CD box, the second has the cast recording with a dvd full of a huge slideshow of production stills and rehearsal shots. It's a very handsome package!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lord of the Rings re-visited#12
Posted: 3/10/11 at 4:18pm
I only saw this just the once, I really enjoyed the show.

Anyone got any clips from you tube' of great acts

Must be one of the biggest bombs in theatre history?
Sean2 Profile PhotoSean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Lord of the Rings re-visited#13
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:49pm
Thanks, devonian! I think I'll have to get it!