Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#1
Posted: 3/7/11 at 1:19pm
Last week 'Priscilla - Queen of the Dessert' finally opened at the Palace Theatre, New York after a successful try out in Toronto, after playing to bumper audiences in London, Sydney and Melbourne, however I have noticed that all the performances it has played last week, have been on TKT's for 50% off, this even includes peak performances on a Friday and Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

No real shame selling at a discount, especially in previews to get a bit of momentum going! however 50% is a bit of a hefty opening gambit, especially when the very successful 'London' production opened, you couldn't get a discount for love nor money, I was one of the people who looked, even after Priscilla got mixed reviews in the West End, the show continued well over a year not to offer any concessions and today it is available at TKTS at Leicester Square after been open for nearly two years with a 1/3 off.

The New York grosses are going to be published this evening, it will be interesting to see what Priscilla has racked up for its first seven previews?

Updated On: 3/7/11 at 01:19 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#2
Posted: 3/7/11 at 2:08pm
This will be a hard sell to American audiences, much harder than al the other movie to stage adaptions or jukebox musicals.
It really isn't unusual to find new shows on TKTS in previews, 'Shrek' was there and look how big a name that was.
'The Boy From Oz' was there almost every nigh as I was there for a fortnight while it was in previews and got seat s3 nights at the booth.
Don't write this one off just yet, its only done 7 performances but each night the audience are ripping the Palace apart!

Buzz in NY is that this is the new sleeper party hit a la 'Mama Mia'.
I'm seeing it on the weekend of March 26th. (should have been there this very week!)
Updated On: 3/7/11 at 02:08 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#2
Posted: 3/7/11 at 3:02pm
It's a hard sell to me too! I have not been tempted to see it in London and it's not even on my reserve list of shows to see in New York this year. I know some people love it and tastes differ - but I just fail to see the attraction of a show based on a boring movie with a score of dreadful disco songs lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#3
Posted: 3/7/11 at 3:10pm
The movie is a terrible bore after seeing the stage show. Its not theatre and doesn't for one second pretend to be.
Not sure why people always think its gonna be Pinter or Frayn?
Im sure if you went along Bob you would have a ball with all those old disco numbers - its your era!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#4
Posted: 3/7/11 at 3:59pm
Disco music was never my era lol. I've watched video clips from Priscilla and I have never seen or heard anything so hideous. If I had to sit through that kind of music for 2 hours plus, I would lose the will to live.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#5
Posted: 3/7/11 at 4:15pm
I have to say I am surprised I was expecting to see this show up for 30% in the week and nothing on the weekend, as I would of thought this show would of attracted a lot of the 'pink $$$$', thought it would appeal to lots of young ladies for the fun and older couples also,as they go for the jukebox music.

However there is a saving grace for Priscilla, I have just looked at the grosses (wish we could do the same here in London) and it was a bloody awful week all round.

Anyway some of the grosses for last week.

American Idiot $395,275 - 51.4%
How to Succeed $624,822 - 85.2%
Adjusted for 8 shows $714,082
La Cage Aux folles $277,675 - 45.1% - 'Harvey Feinstein'
Jersey Boys $855,041 - 80.0% - Normally 95% - 100%
Priscilla $657,804 - 78.5%
Spiderman $1,276,776 - 84.5%
Championship Season $549,219 - 85.9% - 'kiefer Sutherland'
The Book of Mormon $604,594 - 95.1%
Adjusted for 8 shows $690,964
Wicked $1,388,574 - 98.1%
Cannot have every thing, but envy David Stone.

Updated On: 3/7/11 at 04:15 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#6
Posted: 3/7/11 at 4:26pm
It's Harvey Fierstein :)
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#7
Posted: 3/7/11 at 5:31pm
I'm sure once momentum builds, especially around opening night it will pick up. Never thought Priscilla would be in for a long run on Broadway but sure am looking forward to seeing it get the big Broadway glitzy touch this May.

By the way, the American cast recording is released next week so check that out for the changes to the score.
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#8
Posted: 3/7/11 at 6:49pm
The Broadway board is being very slaggy about Priscilla. I've been over there trying to correct their lack of knowledge and pisstakes, but I fear it's a lost cause. It's funny because all the Americans who come over here and see it seem to leave absolutely loving it, but for some reason this lot are determined to slam it. They act as if the fact it ran for two years in Sydney and is in the middle of a very successful run over here is somehow absolutely unimportant. I don't know what they were expecting from the show, other than exactly what it is...
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#9
Posted: 3/7/11 at 7:47pm
First of all i dont know how anyone can call the movie a bore, its a charming and well written little indie movie with a great heart. The roblem i have with the musical is that indie feel and the heart has been replaced with loud costumes and OTT campness. Saying that i still had fun.

American audiences are strange as well, the previews of many shows start off slow until the reviews come out, many audiences seem to have to be guided to certain shows by the critics.

Its gross was not awful, it was on level with what Broadway was like this week. All shows fell, some very hard (American Idiot, La Cage etc). Lets see what its doing in a few weeks.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#10
Posted: 3/7/11 at 8:21pm
I am surprised that its gross is higher than HOW TO SUCCEED ... and that has Daniel Radcliffe.

Small correction frapperia, PRISCILLA ran for two years (in total) in a run that included Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland and a short Sydney return season.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 8:48pm
How to Succeed had 7 performances last week, which would be why it didn't make as much as Priscilla.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#12
Posted: 3/7/11 at 8:59pm

"First of all i dont know how anyone can call the movie a bore"

Sorry, but it bored me witless. Didn't care about the characters. Didn't care about the plotline. And by the end I didn't much care if I lived or died as long as I could get out of the cinema. lol.

Again, different tastes - but not my kind of movie in any way.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#13
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:30pm
I love the movie and always have.
I was trying to get Bob to get his hot pants on and party!!!!!

Its a hard watch after seeing the musical however. lol
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#14
Posted: 3/8/11 at 5:49am
I loved the film and I really like the show. It is the best of the jukebox shows I think - though I have only seen this and Mama Mia (which I don't like)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#15
Posted: 3/8/11 at 5:58am
I enjoyed Priscilla but have not been tempted to a second viewing. Probably as I cant imagine anyone else doing as good a job as Tony Sheldon.
Its him that makes me curious about the reaction to the broadway version, however the show is recieved I cant imagine he'll getting anything but praise.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#16
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:18am
"The Broadway board is being very slaggy about Priscilla. I've been over there trying to correct their lack of knowledge and pisstakes, but I fear it's a lost cause. It's funny because all the Americans who come over here and see it seem to leave absolutely loving it, but for some reason this lot are determined to slam it. They act as if the fact it ran for two years in Sydney and is in the middle of a very successful run over here is somehow absolutely unimportant. I don't know what they were expecting from the show, other than exactly what it is..."

At which the Broadway (Ben Brantley wannabees) queens, will stick 'Priscilla' under a microscope and forensically examine the show in minute detail and treat it as one of there own, like it has never played Australia, London and Toronto before that.

I have inadvertently killed off the 'Priscilla - love thread' on the Broadway board, by posting a picture of The Palace Theatre, London, with the big amazing shoe, which to my enquiry The Palace Theater, New York doesn't have, when I commented on this, "that a big shoe in the middle of 'Times Square would look amazing." No one came back to me. That is one side of the American personality I cannot abide, they are conditioned so much that they are the best, they cannot deal with being out done or any criticism, hence why ‘Enron’ failure so quickly.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1026560&dt=41&boardid=1
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#17
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:50am
I certainly have not had the impression that the Broadway board was being super-critical of Priscilla. I've seen a lot of enthusiasm over there - unless that's all changed in the last few days.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#18
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:56am
Who the hell cares how many productions a show has had already - especially one that is yet to be a financial or critical success outside of Australia (a show running two years is meaningless in financial terms)? We Will Rock You and Dirty Dancing are long running shows with many international productions behind them and a large bedrock of popular support - would you give them a free pass to criticism on a Broadway production just because of that fact? Does that mean that people aren't allowed to not enjoy the show?

I still haven't seen Priscilla so I don't have an opinion on whether it's any good or not. Certainly around the time of its London premiere this board was a little lynch-mobby about people who didn't like the show; I hope the same thing doesn't happen on the Broadway board. It may simply be that the show doesn't appeal to Broadway audiences the same way it does to Brits and Ozzies - my impression of Broadway has always been that although they love star casting as much as we do, jukebox shows in general aren't as popular and they don't have the same "hen nights" group booking demographic we do? Correct me if I'm wrong.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#19
Posted: 3/8/11 at 7:53am
< Throws off invisibility cloak >

I'm one of those who didn't much care for the original film but had a blast at the musical - same as I felt when seeing Spamalot, even though I couldn't sit through the Holy Grail. Guess I have a higher threshold for crudity and scatological humour if it's set to music... Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip

IMHO Priscilla was always going to a bit of a tougher sell to US audiences than it was in Australia / the UK, especially with the competition this coming season looking pretty fierce.

I'm surprised at some of the low percentage grosses in the past week, but if it makes it easier to get decent tickets at reasonable prices for some of the new shows then you won't hear me complaining.
Seen some shows in my time....
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#20
Posted: 3/8/11 at 9:05am
Bloody hell Tiggosaurus, where have youu been? I trust you are alright? Good to see you back?
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#21
Posted: 3/8/11 at 9:39am
I'm fine ta POL Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip - took some time out from t'internet last year but have still been doing the rounds of West End theatres and saving up to give my regards to Broadway later this month.

I trust you meant to put an exclamation instead of a question mark after your last sentence....? :-0
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#22
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:10am
I am lad you are well and doing the usual rounds of theatres and catching up on shows.

When will you be in New York? I am in New York later this month too, Bob will also be there.

I did mean to put an exclaimation mark!
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#23
Posted: 3/8/11 at 4:52pm
I'm just about to PM you POL - hopefully there could be a mini-BWW West End board meet-up on the Great White Way later this month.... ? Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip

As far as the subject matter at hand goes, I'm actually really intrigued to see the show re-interpreted by a largely North American cast for a US audience. I can't help but think (& hope) it will give it fresh impetus and energy. Priscilla is such a feelgood show that any positive word-of-mouth could well help to overcome any initial confusion/resistance/misgivings. And, FWIW, I don't think the West End can lay many proprietary claims to the show if it does well, even if its success here paved the way for a Broadway transfer.

I love the fact that its story and setting are quintissentially Australian while its themes are universal. Not much precedence for that on Broadway before now....
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla - Crown Starts To Slip#24
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:37pm
I loved the film, I loved the musical in Oz and in London and can't wait to see it on Broadway. Lets remember these are difficult times and to give this show a chance.