Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#1
Posted: 1/13/11 at 7:04am
We'll all be doing the lambeth walk on Shaftesbury Avenue!

The Sheffield Crucible production will open March 2011. Dates TBC.

dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#2
Posted: 1/13/11 at 8:44am
Oh dear...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#2
Posted: 1/13/11 at 9:00am
Nowt confirmed from the MD as yet?

Greta news if it works out.
Perfect show for the Shaftesbury and will get at least a year/18 months!
Updated On: 1/13/11 at 09:00 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#3
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:39pm
Agreed great news, look forward to this one.

12-18 months a bit on the conservative side, but still would be a good run, but nothing on the 80's revival that run and run.

Anythinggoes, are you saying this will open in London in March? very quich to get a production going in that time?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#4
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:47pm
Still annoyed that Flashdance is closing, the more i think about the more i enjoyed that show and it was far better than Grease, Dreamboats, Thriller etc. I hope it enjoys a healthy touring life.

As for Me and My Girl.....yawn, i predict this will be a very limited run
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#5
Posted: 1/13/11 at 5:24pm
Hope it does come! One of those shows I do really want to see.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#6
Posted: 1/13/11 at 6:02pm
As with every revival it's good that people who missed previous productions get a chance to see it (especially a younger generation who could not possibly have seen previous productions). I am certainly old enough to have seen the last production (with Emma Thompson and Robert Lindsay) and I thought it was an okay show - but not something I'm likely to rush to see again. There are certainly far better vintage shows that merit a revival before this one.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#7
Posted: 1/14/11 at 3:41am
I liked it all those years ago, but the jokes were never that fresh to begin with ... and now neither am I Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury
It might be like "When We Are Married" ... coaches full of OAP's.

Still curious to see it again. This production has had some good reviews.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#8
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:48am
From Baz

"Sierra Boggess, who leaves Love Never Dies soon, has been in discussion about starring in the musical She Loves Me at the Chichester Festival Theatre. Choreographer Stephen Mear will direct.
Ms Boggess had been in talks about starring in the musical Rebecca, but it has been having problems ≠finding the right theatre.
It was earmarked for the Shaftesbury, but Sheffield Theatresí hit revival of Me And My Girl is expected to transfer there."

Brilliant exclusive scoop from AnnythingGoes 2, you must be very well connected in theatre circled?"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1346974/Judes-Donmar-dazzler.html#ixzz1B0OSRdru
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#9
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:06am
I can hear Boggess singing "Vanilla Ice Cream" now!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#10
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:38am
I agree. Sierra would be a fabulous Amalia in She Loves Me - far better use of her talent than what she's doing now lol.

Btw - just to be pedantic lol - the correct title for the iconic song from the She Loves Me score is "Ice Cream". The word vanilla appears in the lyric but not in the title.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#11
Posted: 1/14/11 at 1:25pm
Thanks for the info, Bob, had no idea.

A girl sang this in my audition for the Welsh National Youth Opera and she was fantastic - i've loved the song since!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#12
Posted: 1/14/11 at 2:16pm
Yes, it's an awesome song. In fact the score is full of awesome songs - Bock & Harnick's best score IMO (even better than Fiddler).

I have the OBC recording with Barbara Cook. Ice Cream went on to become what was almost her signature piece - and she still nailed it (albeit brought down a tone or two!) when I heard her sing it live when she was well in her 70s. I remember hearing her being asked in an interview how could she still hit that high note towards the end and she said, "I close my eyes and think of Kiri" LOL
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#13
Posted: 1/14/11 at 3:53pm
The Ruthie Henshall production at the Savoy was gorgeous!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#14
Posted: 1/14/11 at 4:16pm
And she sounds absolutely gorgeous in the recording too!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#15
Posted: 1/14/11 at 4:30pm
Yes the entire Savoy production was gorgeous and Ruthie was a delightful Amalia. But - as she pretty much always has done when I've seen her - Tracie Bennett stole the show.
Updated On: 1/14/11 at 04:30 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#16
Posted: 1/14/11 at 4:37pm
My parents still talk about the production at the Savoy. They said it was absolute perfection.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#17
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:23pm
Even if they sort out Act 1, I think this will struggle to repeat the success of the 80s revival.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#18
Posted: 1/14/11 at 6:18pm
I agree Scripps
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#19
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:03pm
If this production done a quarter of the run the last revival did, then the show has still done well.

"Still annoyed that Flashdance is closing, the more i think about the more i enjoyed that show and it was far better than Grease, Dreamboats, Thriller etc. I hope it enjoys a healthy touring life."

Agreed Flashdance does deserve a longer run, SADM said this show was going to be good and he was right, I enjoyed the show both time I saw it, thought Victoria Hamilton - Barritt was excellent, but Charlotte Harwood blew me away, so did most of the dancing, especially the street dancing, enjoyable show that deserved at least a year run.

alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#20
Posted: 1/15/11 at 10:12pm
The 80's revival came along after a long absence in London and was sort of a "freak" success. I'd think this season will be a successful with a respectable run. The show has great tourist appeal, sort of the show to see when in London like OLIVER! is. So English.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#21
Posted: 1/16/11 at 6:24am
"So English"

Yes, I think that's the aspect that turns me off lol.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#22
Posted: 1/16/11 at 7:03am
The 80s revival originally starred Robert Lindsay and Emma Thompson - that's hot ticket casting. Danny Crossley and Jemima Rooper, however excellent and talented they are, can't really compete with that as a starting point to build word of mouth etc.

And OLIVER! this time was such a huge success for the big star names as Fagin and I'd Do Anything. Even then it ran for half the length of its Palladium run (although presumably made pots of money regardless).

I have a soft spot for ME AND MY GIRL - I think it may have been the first West End show I saw when I was a wee sprog (with Gary Wilmot!). It'll interesting to see the show again after all these years.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#23
Posted: 1/16/11 at 7:20am
I understand on here that SADM and Bob aren't the 'Me and My Girl' biggest admirer, but everyone to there own.

I haven't seen the show, so cannot say how good or how bad the show is, I like the cast recording, but for a show to have such a long run in both the West End and Broadway, I would have to concede the show has to be very good.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me and My Girl confirmed for Shaftesbury#24
Posted: 1/16/11 at 8:10am
If this is going to be opening as soon as March it is going to have to announce pretty soon to be able to build up at least some buzz and advance ticket sales. If it is definitely happening shouldn't we be expecting an official announcement and ticket sales sometime this week? After all there is no advantage to holding off the announcement is there?