Page: 1

Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#1
Posted: 10/20/10 at 2:59am
John Frost, Managing Director of The Gordon Frost Organisation, has announced that he has acquired the rights for a new un-produced musical written by John-Michael Howson and Frank Howson, titled Dream Lover.

Dream Lover tells the story of Bobby Darin, the singer, songwriter, actor and entertainer whose sensational career spanned the 1950ís and 60ís. Young Walden Robert Cassotto overcame a life threatening illness and a poor background to become one of the great entertainers of the mid-20th century. His marriage to movie star Sandra Dee was a match made in heaven until the clouds rolled in. Bobbyís fight to reach the top of the entertainment world before his death at 37 is an emotional and triumphant story. The music of Dream Lover is composed of the songs of Darin and others, including 'Splish Splash', 'As Long as Iím Singiní, 'Mack the Knife', 'The Sea', 'Inka Dinka Doo' and 'Mammy'.

John Frost has acquired the rights from John and Barbara Gilbert of Gilbert Theatrical, and will workshop Dream Lover and then produce the World Premiere in Australia, in association with John and Barbara Gilbert, before possible international productions.

Frost is one of Australiaís most successful theatrical producers, currently producing four shows on Australian stages: Wicked (in Sydney), Chicago (in Perth), Calendar Girls (in rehearsal, opening in Brisbane in April) and Fame the Musical (in rehearsal, opening in Melbourne in April).

John and Barbara Gilbert entered the world of entertainment in 2006 as co-producers of the successful Australian musical of Dusty, written by John-Michael Howson, David Mitchell and Melvyn Morrow. They have since been co-producers in the revival of Shout and in the Australian season of Guys and Dolls in 2008 (Melbourne) and 2009 (Sydney), and are involved in John Frostís production of Fame the Musical.

So I know it's not West-End, but it's exciting news, and could transfer!
Updated On: 10/20/10 at 02:59 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#2
Posted: 10/20/10 at 6:52am
Much as I like Bobby Darin - another f***ing jukebox musical! Yeah, just what musical theatre needs. Excuse me while I pause to scream.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#2
Posted: 10/21/10 at 12:54am
I would have thought that DUSTY (with Tamsin Carroll) would be more likely to transfer to the West End before DREAMLOVER.

John Frost also was the lead producer on the 1990's Broadway and West End productions of THE KING AND I and was also one of the original producers on HAIRSPRAY (NY and U.S. tours).
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#3
Posted: 10/22/10 at 4:48am
Agreed Bob and Alterego I agree with you about 'Dusty ' too. x
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#4
Posted: 10/22/10 at 9:15am
OK, here is a new musical, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO. From the team that wrote THE SECRET GARDEN and starring Anthony Warlow. Opens in Sydney for a short run in February and today a Melbourne season was announced opening April. At the announcement they said following Melbourne the show is going to the West End. Would there be much interest in a musical of the DOCTOR ZHIVAGO story? Producer is the aforementioned John Frost who I forgot to say also had a hand in PRISCILLA.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#5
Posted: 10/22/10 at 10:36pm
This has been milling around for some time now hasn't it?
I have the demo and it is actually OK, BUT West End?
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#6
Posted: 10/23/10 at 9:09pm
Originally they mentioned it was to go straight to Broadway... so I guess the West End is now part of its extended Broadway tryout season, but really, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO?. Ugh.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#7
Posted: 10/23/10 at 9:29pm
It's such an iconic movie, I don't know whether it would work musicalized, especially assuming it's minus that famous soundtrack?

I haven't heard the recordings (would like to) so I can't pass full judgement...
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#8
Posted: 10/24/10 at 5:00am
Bookings open here Monday, the same day as LOVE NEVER DIES. Now aren't they two fun! fun! fun! shows.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dream Lover - The Bobby Darin Story#9
Posted: 10/24/10 at 11:14am
What does? Doctor Zhivago?