Page: 1

Why no buzz about Flashdance

RaisedOnMusicals Profile PhotoRaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#1
Posted: 10/12/10 at 4:03pm
If there was a new musical opening this week on Broadway, there would be a lot of discusion on the Broadway version of this board regarding the show, opinions of previews, etc. Here, there is practically nothing I can find. Why is that, I'm curious. Doesn't this show open Thursday night?
CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#2
Posted: 10/12/10 at 4:15pm
I know, I know.
Its amazing.
I was in London last week for 3 days and was offered comps for every performance.
I think London/Uk audiences may be growing weary of these musicals based on 80's musical films. )God, I hope so!)
Time to move on maybe.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#2
Posted: 10/12/10 at 5:31pm
It toured for a while about a year or so ago, and that took a lot of the excitement out because it's not really 'new'. The West End is also being treated as just a stop for now, so it seems, and booking's only open through February with rumour that something else is already looking at the Shaftesbury after, so it'll likely go back out on the road.

And Mama, it may've been comping, but I couldn't get a press ticket, so clearly SOMEONE is interested in it.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#3
Posted: 10/12/10 at 5:35pm
Well put Ex. x
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Why no buzz about Flashdance#4
Posted: 10/12/10 at 5:39pm
Press night is bound to be busy, unless you tried to get a press ticket for previews, and they don't generally like to give them out.

There has been a fair bit of discussion over on the WOS boards, but I think that has included some people connected with the show. They've not been spamming or anything, just giving reasonable insight, but it's hard to tell where insider chit-chat stops and promo starts. It does sound as if they've been making a lot of changes during previews, but if you believe those who have been, it has improved a lot and is coming together nicely (if not amazingly).

Isn't it supposed to be press night on Thursday? I expect we'll get a much better feel for how it is received after that.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#5
Posted: 10/12/10 at 6:07pm
Flashdance is using the Broadway style press night, with press having been invited to all the performances Mon-Thu with an embargo on reviews until Friday papers.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why no buzz about Flashdance#6
Posted: 10/12/10 at 8:41pm
Sales are healthy but not amazing

I know they have had a bumpy preview period as a lot has been changed since the tour, however its in good shape now apparently and going well.

I think your either gonna love it or hate it. I wanted to hate it on tour but was actually suprised how enjoyable it was. Leave your brain at the door and have fun.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna