Page: 1

RSC Presents 3 New Plays At Hampstead Then NYC

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Royal Shakespeare Company will premiere three new plays at Hampstead Theatre from 16 April 2011.
Following the Hampstead season the company will take the repertoire to New York in July 2011.

The RSC ensemble will perform:
'Little Eagles' by Rona Munro, directed by Roxana Silbert.
16th April 2011.
'Silence' by David Farr and Filter, directed by David Farr.
12 May 2011. '
American Trade' by Tarell Alvin McCraney, directed by Jamie Lloyd.
2nd June 2011.

These three RSC commissioned plays will be presented as part of A Season of World Premieres at Hampstead Theatre next spring, alongside three new Hampstead Theatre productions downstairs at the Hanpstead in the Michael Frayn Space.

RSC Associate Director, Roxana Silbert, as season director for the RSC productions, said: 'It's a privilege to be invited to return to Hampstead Theatre and be part of its future under the new Directorship of Ed Hall, and it's tremendously exciting to welcome the long ensemble to Hampstead, fresh from opening the newly transformed Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford. They bring their intimate experience of Shakespeare into dialogue with living playwrights to premiere three new plays which have been made for them and with them'.

Ed Hall, Hampstead Theatre’s Artistic Director, said: 'I am delighted to be creating A Season of World Premieres with the RSC and to be working so closely with Roxana Silbert on what will be a very exciting programme of new work at Hampstead Theatre. Six pieces of major new work over a ten week period…cause for celebration indeed'.

Further details and booking on the Hampstead season to be announced later in the autumn.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Given the RSC's track record with new plays, they could be banned from entering the USA ever again after this.

Not that I'm overly negative or anything... RSC Presents 3 New Plays At Hampstead Then NYC

They should just take the really good productions over - Romeo and Juliet and (from what I've heard) The Winter's Tale, for instance, rather than trying to cram everything in.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm beginning to get worried that I'm single-handedly overhyping The Winter's Tale for EVERYONE. XD The production is AWESOME, but the play has its problems (which I don't mind but a lot of people do).

Have they actually said they're performing the new plays in the US though? I thought it was just the Shakespeares the current ensemble have been doing. Like the Roundhouse season, but over there. :3

Excited as I am for the new stuff and the grand reopening and all that jazz, what I REALLY want to know is if there's any truth to the rumours that Jonathan Slinger will be playing Macbeth next year! Also if Rupert Goold and David Farr have paid any attention to my frenzied Tweets re: them directing Titus Andronicus and Richard III respectively. 8D
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea Weez, these three are going to NYC for I think around 3 weeks.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yes - "The plays – written by Rona Munro, David Farr and Tarrell Alvin McCraney – form part of A Season Of World Premieres at the North London venue, which will also include three new Hampstead theatre productions. Following their premieres in London, the RSC will take all three productions to New York in July 2011."