Page: 1

A GREAT State Fair

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A GREAT State Fair#1
Posted: 8/15/10 at 10:38am
Saw it yesterday afternoon and it was BRILLIANT! It worked incredibly well on such a small scale and was just an absolute treat. Beautiful tunes, beautifully acted, and a very strong production. I LOVED the tap dancing, was a joy to watch, wish there was more of it because it is something you don't see too often in musicals now. They have really made Trafalgar 2 their home, in the past when I've seen shows in this little studio I felt it didn't suit the productions, but for this, its been completely decorated around the outside and looks fantastic for such a small scale production.

Not got long to catch this one.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A GREAT State Fair#2
Posted: 8/15/10 at 10:51am
Seeing this a week tomorrow night when I pass through London on my way back home from Scotland. Really looking forward to it!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A GREAT State Fair#2
Posted: 8/15/10 at 11:03am
Aww i'm SO gutted i'm missing this - it's one of my favourite R&H shows. Are they using the revised book etc. that was used in the Broadway production in '90's?

More importantly, does it have the song "This Isn't Heaven"?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A GREAT State Fair#3
Posted: 8/17/10 at 9:42am
UPDATE: Show has extended 2 weeks until September 11th. Very much deserved and wishing them a great extended run.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A GREAT State Fair#4
Posted: 8/28/10 at 8:18pm
Saw State Fair last Monday night (on my way back home from Scotland) - and it was wonderful! No great depth to the book but it was pure "sit back and enjoy the ride" from start to finish. It worked beautifully in the intimate space and all the performances were great.

The only downside for me is the fact that the stage show uses songs from other R & H sources to augment the handful of songs written for the original screen musical (a mixture of songs cut from Oklahoma and songs used in some of R & H's flop shows) - and I'm not a fan of recycling songs not intended for a particular character or scene, etc. But any score that includes two of R & H's best ever songs (It Might As Well Be Spring & That's For Me) can't fail to be enjoyable.

And as a footnote, I just read that the flop Rodgers and Hammerstein show "Me And Juliet" is to be staged at the Finborough theatre in October, directed by "State Fair" director Thom Southerland. So I went straight to the Finborough Theatre website and booked a ticket for October 24th! VERY excited about seeing this!

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 8/29/10 at 08:18 PM