Page: 1

When is The Addams family musical coming to the West End?????????

Musical Fanz Profile PhotoMusical Fanz Profile Photo
Musical Fanz
Swing
Swing
please could someone tell me when The Addams Family Musical will be coming to the West End???????
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Probably......
NEVER!
Musical Fanz
Swing
Swing
JOak Profile PhotoJOak Profile Photo
JOak
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
There are better shows that never came to the West End.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are also far worse shows that have come to the West End. So it's anyone's guess whether this will make it or not.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Musical Fanz
Swing
Swing
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol i like how you just think it should be coming to London, we dont get 80 percent of the shows that play America.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Musical Fanz
Swing
Swing
I know, but i heard Addams family musical was touring then coming to the UK ......

I didn't just assume it.....
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seeing that it started selling tickets at a discount rate after only a few weeks and that it had a lukewarm critical reception I doubt it'll arrive in London (soon)... recent openings in London have not particularly been financial successes either (Priscilla, LND, Sister Act, ...).
Who's going to put up the money ?
Updated On: 8/14/10 at 10:21 AM
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think its a good show we have a long wait for this one though! that is just my humble opinion!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Addams Family is actually doing great business at the moment - the third highest grossing Broadway show last week (behind Wicked and The Lion King) - taking a gross of $1,232,598 out of a potential maximum revenue of $1,407, 240. It's playing to an 88% capacity attendance - and the average price of sold tickets was $115, so there weren't too many discount seast sold there.

Not that any of that matters - the reasons why shows cross the Atlantic never follows any logical (or even financial) pattern.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 8/14/10 at 10:33 AM
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
On Playbill.com the discounts are quite big.
For a show that's only a few months old and with 2 big names in the cast that must be somewhat disappointing for the producers.

In today's economic climate who's going to put up the money to mount such a big show ?
I'm not waiting for it to come to London though - I'll go and see it when I'm over there in November.

I usually go with gut feeling when choosing a show and I don't rely much on reviews.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Addams future will depend on what happens when Nathan and Bebe leave (both can leave in Sept if they choose but i think it will be Jauary). I think it will drop off quickly. The bottom line is it's a mess of a show that the critics hated and so did the theatre community.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, have to disasgree SADM - I really enjoyed The Addams Family when I saw it back in March. Not a great show by any means but I found it genuinely funny and I loved the score - and I love listening to the CD too. I certainly didn't find it in any way a "mess" and I'm so pleased to see that audiences are not paying attention to the very unfair reviews it received. (I certainly enjoyed it far more than other so-called light comedy shows like Hairspray, Legally Blond, Shrek, etc.)

But I do agree with you that it will probably not survive long after Lane and Bebe leave.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know you liked it Bob but something is wrong with that show when every critic tore apart and most theatre people (on messege boards etc) are walking away from it let down. Im sorry but i think the score is a mess. It has through line to it, it represents nothing to do with the Adddams and the poor charachters are so far removed from what we know and love that it's heartbreaking.

Lane is brilliant in the show though
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Strangely enough, I thought Lane was one of the least impressive of what is a fantastic cast. Bebe was wonderful as were Jackie Hoffman, Kevin Chamberlin and Krista Rodriguez. And Carolee Carmello steals the show even from that stellar cast. Carlolee's rendition of "Waiting" is one of the most awesome and long-lasting memories of anything I've seen in the theatre all year.

Maybe the fact that I was never a fan of the Addams Family TV series etc is why I don't feel let down by it. Actually I was not looking forward to seeing it at all other than for the awesome cast line-up. And it was a fantastically pleasant surprise. I also have to admit to being a very big Andrew Lippa fan - and I think there are some seriously great songs in this score - more wit and genuine craft in the lyrics than in any new score I've heard for a very long time.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with Bob and think The Addams Family is a great show, I think why the reviews were very lame, is because expectations for this was very high, I saw the show two days after Bob, a lot of the Broadway board were lamenting this and I expected to see a train crash, which to my pleasant surprise it was far from.

In fact I look forward to seeing this again in November.

There is intention to bring this over.
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe the comparison is not entirely correct, but you have a kind of similar situation with Love Never Dies in London. A lot of negative chatter on forums from people who haven't seen the thing.
LND show has its problems (so did Les Mis at the Barbican), but when I went to see it the audience just went wild. I've never heard so much applause during a show - it actually stopped the show.

About The Addams Family .. I'll see it in November. The CD shows indeed a mixture of tunes, but within that show it could well work. I'm keeping an open mind.
From what I've heard so far on the CD I agree with Bob that worse shows have hit London (Which Witch, Leonardo, Lord of the Rings, etc etc etc).

I have to admit that I have some pretty bad taste though. I had a fantastic time during Return to the Forbidden Planet.

Updated On: 8/14/10 at 05:22 PM