Page: 1

Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#1
Posted: 6/1/10 at 5:52am
Saw the tour in Newcastle last night, really enjoyed the show, thought it had a very nice score from ALW.

Jonathan Ansell was really a great find as The Man, I can definitely see him playing The Phantom/JVJ when he is slightly older.

HOWEVER, I was absolutely HORRIFIED by the miming children. The 3 siblings all sang, but all the children's chorus were miming. Not only were they miming BADLY and it was just so obvious that it couldn't possibly have been them singing, it sounded like a pre-recorded track which took away from the rest of the show being sung live, and there is a fair bit of singing for the kids.

Is it always like this for Professional productions of Whistle, or is it Bill Kenwright trying to cut costs?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#2
Posted: 6/1/10 at 5:56am
I saw them Mime a few years back as well and that was Kencheap
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#2
Posted: 6/1/10 at 6:09am
i was convinced they mimed and my mum was like no their not miming!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#3
Posted: 6/1/10 at 6:09am
It happened at the Aldwych in the original production.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#4
Posted: 6/1/10 at 7:56am
Did it? That really is disappointing! What sort of message does that send out to these young kids?

Edit: Mama, I've just read that at the Aldwych the singing was live, and it was only the BK production at the Palace/tour which used the children's clicks?
Updated On: 6/1/10 at 07:56 AM
cathyk
Swing
Swing
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#5
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:33pm
I saw this last week in Glasgow and yes, the children do mime as they use a different stage school in each city they visit with this production and some of the kids are really young, so would be quite a challenge for them to get the songs just right !!!

I totally loved the show and saw it 8 trimes in the week and am heading to Newcastle on 12th and Bradford on 3rd July (2 shows) again. The cast are really good and their renditions of the songs with emotion etc are amazing - definately worth going to see Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour)
Updated On: 6/1/10 at 04:33 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#6
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:51pm
The miming is awful isn't it? I'm sure that they could get local children to actually sing the parts. I have noticed it a few times when children are used.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#7
Posted: 6/1/10 at 6:03pm
Cathy, I would rather the songs not sound as nicely sung if it was the children actually singing.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#8
Posted: 6/2/10 at 1:52pm
Click tracks are a very touchy Subject with me.

Having been involved with this production in town Yes The Kids Are to click.
The reasoning i can kinda understand why the kids are clicked, simply because its cheaper to record one than shell out for 20 more radio mics, bigger desks etc. (On a random note there is an awful lot of click tracks throughout Whistle in the chorus numbers too) but they arn't miming...they are all taught the music prior and sing there hearts out each night...pity you can't hear them!

On saying that you'd be lucky to find a show in town (or on the road) that doesnt have a click...watching a sister act video on the Royal Variety on YouTube you can clearly hear where the click starts and stops as the singing bits in between sound atrocious.
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#9
Posted: 6/2/10 at 4:21pm
they arn't miming...they are all taught the music prior and sing there hearts out each night...pity you can't hear them!
This is why it annoys me, it isn't that the kids can't or aren't singing but we can't hear them, we hear some random kids who are probably in their 20s by now (OK I'm exaggerating). Why not just play the OLC Recording each night?
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#10
Posted: 6/2/10 at 4:53pm
exactly turquoise.... and your correct...the kids will be about 16/17...i was at the recording session of the click track which were recorded for the 2006 Revival...i laughed when i watched the tour and realised they couldn't be bothered to re record the kids for the clicks!...hilarious!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#11
Posted: 6/2/10 at 5:01pm
When i said they mimed in the London production, i actually meant the original and not the Palace season which I didn't see.
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#12
Posted: 6/2/10 at 5:08pm
You're Right Mama....they did
singingadream
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#13
Posted: 6/2/10 at 7:21pm
I was in the original production at the Aldwych when I was MUCH younger haha and we didn't mime!
Maybe their were a few teams that did but I'm aware of lots that didn't because some of the singing was shocking!

I was part of the first tour too in which we had to mime the solo lines as well as sing alone to a click track the original tour cast brat's and poor babies had recorded (which is still being used now many years later)
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#14
Posted: 6/3/10 at 4:54pm
I just think it is funny because it is so obvious in the little solos the kids have in No Matter What that the voices don't match the singer, almost as bad as a timid 8 year old boy opening his mouth and Old Man River coming out!
I know click tracks are used but it spoils the magic when it is so obvious as that.
RobbieHeslop
Swing
Swing
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#15
Posted: 6/12/10 at 7:17pm
Hey, I'm gonna let you in the info regarding it :)

First off, I was a supernumery for the Newcastle shows, and I'm also a senior student at the stage school the kids come from. During the shows I was their vocal assistant i.e. helping and giving them warm ups.

The general gist is, when it was all of the singing it WAS them, when it was solo is was NOT them. This is because, due to the kids not being contracted to be paid, they can't say more that 13 words on their own in a musical or they MUST be paid - rules of the theatre.

They have worked immensely hard for the show, I've even taught them before shows in using the diaphragm, breath control and voice projection and they have been singing as I said - as an ensemble
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#16
Posted: 6/12/10 at 7:43pm
It really did sound like a pre-recorded track in the group sections too. How did they do it without microphones?
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#17
Posted: 6/12/10 at 8:29pm
Mark you are correct..

The kids 'rules' stated up by a previous poster are not correct...they are not limited to what they sing...so long as they are licensed by the governing body of the area they can do whatever... plus some of the solos in no matter what are less than 13 words?

The kids group sections are Recorded and ARE used during the performance..every time...Solos & Ensemble....along with a whole load of other clicks in the Entracte, No Matter What vaults of heaven and other bits here and there...
I did the show for the entire west end revival and was at the recording session... the clicks are exactly the same as this new tour..
RobbieHeslop
Swing
Swing
Whistle Down the Wind - UK Tour#18
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:01am
They use the microphones so that when clicks are used in ensemble pieces so that they can be heard too, sadly I think it's silly using click tracks, especially when the kids are very good singers.

Page: 1