Page: 1

London Vs New York this summer

SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
London Vs New York this summer#1
Posted: 4/8/10 at 5:56am
So with a lot of comings and goings this summer and beyond, and as some of our posters have reccently hopped across the pond too I wondered how people on here were rating London shows v New York this season-what you wish you could get here or what is worth hopping across the pond in either direction.

Not a competition! Just a friendly comparisson London Vs New York this summer
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#2
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:27am
Both Broadway and London are great for different reasons.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#2
Posted: 4/8/10 at 8:29am
If you're talking about new shows rather than just ones trhat have been running for years - Broadway hands down! The only new shows in London this summer will be Love Never Dies and Paradise Found and two "new" revivals - the Menier transfer of Sweet Charity to the West End and Aspects of Love at the Menier. London does of course also have the fantastic revival of Hair - but Broadway also has that.

New shows on Broadway include American Idiot (which is really amazing), The Addams Family and Memphis (plus Next To Normal which, though it has been running for a year, is a mega "must see" if you have not already seen it and even if you have already seen it LOL). Also Broadway has the stunning new revue Sondheim On Sondheim and the fantastic revival of Promises Promises. And - though the production is nothing more than average - it will be worth the trip across the pond if only to see Angela Lansbury and Cartherine Zeta Jones's brilliant performances in ALNM.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#3
Posted: 4/8/10 at 9:03am
You missed some bob! London is also getting a revival of The Fantasticks and another new musical - All the fun of the fair. And also not to forget is Into the woods later in the summer.

Play wise, there are revivals of La Bete and All My Sons. And we are also getting Holding the Man.

Broadway is so set on when shows open. Biggest times being October/November and then of course April. The West End seems much more free as the Awards system isn't anywhere near as important as in New York.

If you look at all of 2010 it really is shaping up to be a very good year for the West End.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
London Vs New York this summer#4
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:48am
Yes that's what I meant which shows (new/revival) are people most excited about either side of the pond.

I know both are good for different reasons anyway, just trying to start a disscussion about what's new/what people are looking foreward to.

Mark_E the Fantasticks does excite me as does Holding the Man.
Broadway-wise I always hated the Addams Family but it seems people are excited about this one! And yes it would be worth seeing CZJ and AL in ALNM.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
London Vs New York this summer#5
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:46am
I'm excited for La Bete, and for Passion in the autumn. Oh and Late Middle Classes.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#6
Posted: 4/8/10 at 12:01pm
Yes, Mark, you're right - I did forget about the Fantasticks! All The Fun Of The Fair, however, I deliberately left out as I think it's a load of tosh LOL. And I guess I never think about what's on in the Open Air theatre as our weather makes it a bit too much of a gamble for me to ever book to go there (watching a show in the rain is not my idea of a good time LOL). And I did not include plays as the original post said "shows".
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#7
Posted: 4/8/10 at 1:14pm
Hehe well i'd class straight plays as shows too.

I must say, New York does have a very exciting collection of stuff. I think it could well be possible for American Idiot/Addams Family to transfer sometime in 2011 if they continue to do well in New York.

And I agree on All the fun of the fair, but its still a new musical (I guess we gotta take the good with the bad. Broadways duff show looks to be Million Dollar Quartet.)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
London Vs New York this summer#8
Posted: 4/9/10 at 4:49am
Probably not comfortable for you Bob, but I try and dayseat for the open air shows on a sunny day, I'm happy to sit on the grass.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Vs New York this summer#9
Posted: 4/9/10 at 5:51am
My days of sitting on anything other than a comfortable seat with support for my back are long gone LOL. And no way I can stand in line for day seats - 5 minutes of standing is the absolute maximum I'm able to manage. And as I said it's impossible to risk booking in advance with our weather. And I am really gutted I won't be able to get to see ITW with Hannah Waddingham and Jenna Russell. Why can't they do it somewhere indoors? lol