Page: 1

Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?

beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#1
Posted: 4/7/10 at 6:40pm
So far everyone has said that Louise Dearman has made some very bad acting choices with her portrayal of Glinda. Many are saying that though her singing is beautiful her acting has no warmth and vulnerability. Do you think she was a miscast for this role?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#2
Posted: 4/7/10 at 6:48pm
I've not seen Louise in the role. All I can say is she could not be more miscast than Hellen Dallimore, who I did see in the role! Especially after having seen Kristin,who owned the stage every second she was on it, while also giving a subtle performance that allowed the character to grow through the show and made the audience really care about Glinda. But HD somehow made Glinda seem like an English upper class twit you could not empathise with, was very one-paced throughout and also killed all the comedy in the role by over-acting ("Popular" fell very flat when she sang it.). Hopefully Louise (who has been fantastic when I've seen and heard her doing other things) will at least be better than that.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 4/7/10 at 06:48 PM
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#2
Posted: 4/8/10 at 3:11am
I saw her in her first night in the role and, for that reason, I'm loathe to judge. Plus, never having seen the show before, I can't hold her performance up against those of previous incumbents nor can I compare her acting choices with theirs. Perhaps that's part of the problem some people have with her?

All that being said though, I did get a sense of warmth and vulnerability from her, her Glinda made a definite progression from goody-two-shoes to being a sympathetic and likeable character and I thought she did well with the comedy. And agreed, her singing voice was absolutely beautiful.
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 4/8/10 at 03:11 AM
wheety1621
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#3
Posted: 4/8/10 at 4:12am
What a silly question... miscasted! There is not a chance in hell she's miscasted! If anything out of the few Glinda's I've seen she's had the complete package and actually had substance to her role! She played it not for the laughs which I thought was brilliant! Her singing is high above previous british glindas therefore how can she be miscast?? Yes people can not like her choices shes made but to say miscast I think its a bit harsh!!
swansea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#4
Posted: 4/8/10 at 5:25am
miscast?????? i would more say perfectly cast
having seen many Glinda's here and in New York i would have to say Louise comes a very very very close second to Kristen Chen'.
Seeing the new cast last Thursday, Louise was amazing, she has made the part her own, and has created to me a new Glinda. Both her and Rachel were a revelation....One person that is totally miscast is Lewis 'whatshis name' as Fiyero, what a crock of $%^....., i bet they cant wait for Lee Mead to start as Lewis was truly terrible. The only joy i had from his performance was seeing him fall to ground like a sack of $%^& when he came out for his bow, that was the only thing he did all night that was worth a clap from me!.
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#5
Posted: 4/8/10 at 2:36pm
Singing the songs very is one of the key parts to the role, but acting is also VERY IMPORTANT. Some people from what I've heard found her Glinda to be too cold-hearted and unkind throughout the whole show. When Kate Reinders played the role on broadway she was criticized for being too hyper. Megan Hilty, who played the part in Los Angeles, on tour, and on Broadway, was also criticized highly for her Act 1 portrayl twoard the end of her inital run in Los Angeles.
Updated On: 4/8/10 at 02:36 PM
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#6
Posted: 4/9/10 at 5:23am
I loved the Hilty... thought she was the superior Glinda!
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise Dearman a miscast for Glinda?#7
Posted: 4/13/10 at 1:12pm
I just think that when she sings "Thank Goodness." she doesn't seem too be very happy? while she sings it and Glinda is singing the lines "I couldn't be happier" and "Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true." She also doesn't sing "I'm Not That Girl: Reprise" like she's heartbroken.