BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#1
Posted: 4/7/10 at 1:29pm
'Got a text from someone during intermission. Apparently it's pretty damn close to perfect. And "Doug Hodge isn't as good as everyone was saying he is. He's even better." Apparently he is giving "one of the best performances on Broadway in the last ten years."'

WICKEDrOcKS

'Was there tonight. Loved it. Douglas Hodge was pretty great.'

Blockheads24

'Hodge was perfection. I completely agree with YankeeFan on this one. Glad we're on the same page. I hope Douglas takes home the Tony Award.'

Withoutatrace

'It was a thrilling first preview tonight! I really loved it, and was easily one of my favorite experiences of the season. Hodge is perfection and will give Sahr a run for his money.'

WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel

'Hodge, however, is deservedly basking in all this praise. His was a performance I will never forget as long as I live. It was top to bottom hilarious, vivacious and emotionally wrenching. Totallly life-affirming. This is the kind of performance you hope to experience when you go to theatre. A Tony nomination is certainly in order. I would urge anyone just to go for him alone.'

Rudy2
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#2
Posted: 4/7/10 at 4:29pm
Loving these comments! Godspeed to Douglas Hodge winning over the naysayers. I'm surprised no-one on the other board has accused him of sucking the joy out of the production by his misguided attempts at subtlety. BWW  'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already
Seen some shows in my time....
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#2
Posted: 4/7/10 at 4:38pm
Not in the least surprise. Shame as they really dont deserve it! See other 'La Cage' hate thread just below.
Ridiculous behavior.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#3
Posted: 4/7/10 at 5:13pm
I agree the La Cage thread is very Broadway (bitchy, tried to start a thread myself on the Broadway Board, it lasted as long as Connie Fisher theatre career.

Mama, incidentally did you see Derek Hodge in La Cage? I know every time you attempted you were hit by bad luck.

I am patriotic so fingers crossed for Derek.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#4
Posted: 4/7/10 at 5:34pm
Its DOUGLAS! What are you smoking tonight POL? mmm?

I saw his dress rehearsal at the Playhouse but not sadly in front of an audience .-and yes I did try many a time.
I would have handed him the Tony award there and then!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#5
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:09pm
Now I'm even more excited at the prospect of seeing La Cage when I return to New York at the end of May.

I booked orchestra seats in Row C on the day they went on sale but, last week, saw that cabaret tables are now being installed (as in London). I contacted Telecharge to see if I could exchange my tickets for the cabaret table and there was no problem (they are being charged at a premium, but it has to be worth it). I'm not sure my feathery jacket will make the journey but I'm sure I'll come up with something equally eye-catching.

Can't wait to see Douglas again (or maybe his twin brother, Derek!)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#6
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:20pm
I believe Derek Hodge is the stronger talent!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Adoring Douglas Already#7
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:24pm
No Mama, everyone knows his name as DOUGLAS Hodge!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#8
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:41pm
More reviews from over the pond, from our Broadway counterparts.

'Hodge was such a highlight, it will be interesting when they change roles. Grammer was kind of charming but completely overshadowed by his co-star (in not sure if this is what usually happens).'

qolbinau

'Douglas Hodge is fantastic. His entrance alone is worth the price of a ticket. More so than any other person I've ever seen in this role, he taps into both the joyful and the painful aspects of the character. While singing "A Little More Mascara," you could really tell that becoming Zaza is a true release for Albin; that in playing the character, he gets to forget that he's aging, that he has shortcomings. "I Am What I Am" is edge-of-your-seat theatre in his hands. His performance has a dose of camp, but it's also wonderfully grounded and far from caricature.'

AC126748

'Douglas Hodge has the Tony in the bag. If he loses, someone is smoking some serious sh*t on the voting committee. He's truly remarkable. I had a truly incredible evening and this show deserves nothing but raves and a long, healthy run. Bravo, LA CAGE!'

Colorthehours48

'Was also at last night's performance (I broke down so soon) and just loved it. Douglas Hodge is giving a fascinating performance. He's finding the pathos in Albin while still landing the jokes. It's the anti-Nathan Lane performance--I felt like he almost underplayed it, but without losing the wonderful joy and humor in the character. I confess it took me a little while to get used to his more subtle approach (drag and subtle not usually employed simultaneously), but he won me over completely in the second act.'

Sauja

theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#9
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:29am
Broadway should admire and enjoy Doug Hodge's magnificient performance, one of the best musical performances I have seen in years. Broadway is VERY lucky to have him!!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#10
Posted: 4/11/10 at 11:57am
Such fantastic news!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#11
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:52pm
The Phantom has to be impartial too.

The much ballyhooed Doug Hodge can't sing one little bit, and this is the most unpleasant, irritating version of I Am What I Am I've ever heard that he croaks out. It sounds like a dying squirrel. His acting didn't seem like anything special, I don't get what all the hoopla over this performance is. He's not very convincing as a woman, and you really wonder how he is able to fool the Dindons as long as he is.

Adamgreer

I will not be popular for this, but I think Hodge is being overhyped. Overhyped enough that I left more impressed by Grammer. Hodge was good, but I felt a bit underwhelmed after hearing such HUGE raves. Now Grammer completely won me over, and I found him very charming. Neither of the two leads have strong singing voices, but I thought Grammer actually sounded better than Hodge.

ljay889

A great The Cage thread on the Broadway board.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1014059&dt=44&boardid=1
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#12
Posted: 4/11/10 at 6:52pm
These two guys are notorious on the Broadway board for just being vile, nasty mouthed gob****es. Ignore them. They are the kind who just like/must be different. Great to know already that they will be proved wrong-again.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#13
Posted: 4/12/10 at 10:11am
I loved the show in London with Graham Norton, but I am going back to see Douglas this summer in NYC. I'm hoping this revival earns at least two Tonys.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#14
Posted: 4/12/10 at 2:50pm
i now wish i saw La Cage
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#15
Posted: 4/12/10 at 2:50pm
Am i drunk or is this a review thread for DH where the reviews are coming from the Broadway Board???

LMAO
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#16
Posted: 4/12/10 at 3:24pm
I reckon for every negative post on that thread there must be at least six positives.

And those positives are extremely positive. The negatives are only grudgingly ho-hum rather than being outright pans.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#17
Posted: 4/19/10 at 8:45am
when albin is tucked away, and, ZAZA IS BACK!

"Douglas Hodge sings joyously in the revival of La Cage Aux Folles".

"Hodge deserves all the accolades he earned in England".

Toronto Star

"Especially when mother is a quixotic, neurotic but undeniably goodhearted drag queen played by Douglas Hodge, who, by the way, is giving the most exuberant musical-comedy performance of the season".

"Flamboyant may be too mild an adjective. One of the delights of Hodge's performance is his joyous, music-hall rowdy portrayal of Albin's on-stage drag persona, Zaza."

Assosiated Press

"Albin responds with "I Am What I Am," an act-ender to end all act-enders that's always made up what it lacks in musical and lyrical complexity with an intense and wounded sincerity. Hodge adds something new: a touch of sputtering rage that's neither heroic nor pathetic. Too agitated to hold stage center, he jerks himself around, looking for release, but finding only an audience. And for once, the performer delivering this fight-song doesn't seem to assume his listeners share his feelings or his fight. For all the spittle and vibrato on display, Hodge's number feels strangely like a private moment. This Albin is not articulating a credo. He's simply furious."

The New York Magazine

"The producers are fortunate to have imported Hodge, who won an Olivier for this role. He comes on looking and acting like Colleen Dewhurst playing farce, and proceeds to offer a performance at once grandly over-the-top (in the first act) and emotionally grabbing (in the second)."

Variety

"Credible as needing or wearing Albin’s sequined feminine skin, during that scene or any other, however, Hodge is not. You’re always aware of his underlying insecurity—precisely what the drag is supposed to alleviate: Albin must come alive while performing, and Hodge doesn’t. An acclaimed Pinter interpreter, Hodge delves perhaps too deep into the character’s anguish. This has payoffs in the confrontation scenes, but the role also has hefty, glitzy show-biz requirements and Hodge simply cannot fill them. This is most noticeable when bitter betrayal and audience appeasement must blend at the end of the first act, in Albin’s titanic “I Am What I Am,” and Hodge can’t connect the pieces, which sends you into intermission with a whimper rather than a bang."

Talkin' Broadway - Talkin' Bollocks

BWW  'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already

"Less of a question mark is Hodge, certainly not to anyone who saw him hone the role in London (where he took home the Olivier Award). An actor of broad capabilities, he's more than capable at being a robust broad (aided by Matthew Wright's sparkling gowns and Richard Mawbey's confectionary wigs). Here, his Albin/Zaza exhibits effeminate flourishes that reach their peak in the seafront scene where he attempts to duplicate John Wayne's walk. Along the way Hodge also does knee-slapping send-ups of Edith Piaf and Marlene Dietrich. But the performance's peak is -- as it should be -- his emotional delivery of the first-act closer "I Am What I Am." His rendition brims with vocal nuances, and Hodge eventually nails it to the rafters."

Theatremania

"Why mount another Broadway production of “La Cage aux Folles” when we just had one in 2004? The answer is that Terry Johnson’s London staging and its Olivier Award–winning star, Douglas Hodge, inject this 1983 Jerry Herman–Harvey Fierstein musical version of the 1978 French film with ingenious razzmatazz and a heartbreaking humanity that its immediate predecessor lacked."

"Every transvestite cabaret revue needs a diva, and Hodge more than fulfills that requirement as Zaza, Albin’s onstage alter ego. George Hearn, the original Albin, and Gary Beach, the 2004 star, did not throw themselves into the Zaza aspect of the part the way Hodge does. He doesn’t have much of a voice, delivering his songs and dialogue in a nasal Cockney, but Hodge is a master comic and devilish mimic. He shifts from Marilyn Monroe to Marlene Dietrich to Zaza, his “own special creation,” with amazing ease. Not only is Hodge at home in the glittering make-believe world of “La Cage,” he makes Albin a loving partner for Georges and caring parent to Georges’ son, Jean-Michel."

"When the onstage and backstage worlds collide in “I Am What I Am,” Albin’s anthem of self-expression, Hodge shows us both a consummate performer and a betrayed husband defiantly holding on to his identity."

"That’s not the fault of these two performers. With a Tony-worthy performance from Hodge, few could steal the spotlight."

Backstage

"Delivering that show-stopper is Douglas Hodge, a transplant from Johnson's 2008 London revival of La Cage. Hodge is practically perfect as the fey Albin, a tricky role in which an actor could easily slip into caricature or sentimentality. Hodge manages a careful balance, delivering a performance that is both hilarious and heartfelt; his character is admittedly over the top, but he always feels real."

"Hodge and Grammer provide a solid grounding for the show."

Entertainment Weekly

"Less of a question mark is Hodge, certainly not to anyone who saw him hone the role in London (where he took home the Olivier Award). An actor of broad capabilities, he's more than capable at being a robust broad (aided by Matthew Wright's sparkling gowns and Richard Mawbey's confectionary wigs). Here, his Albin/Zaza exhibits effeminate flourishes that reach their peak in the seafront scene where he attempts to duplicate John Wayne's walk. Along the way Hodge also does knee-slapping send-ups of Edith Piaf and Marlene Dietrich. But the performance's peak is -- as it should be -- his emotional delivery of the first-act closer "I Am What I Am." His rendition brims with vocal nuances, and Hodge eventually nails it to the rafters."

Theatremania

"But if Hodge has some beautifully nuanced moments, he can also milk Zaza's camp value, and that of the show, to distraction."

USA Today

"Douglas Hodge (in a bravura Broadway debut), delivers the unexpected lesson that in theater, shabby can be not just chic but redemptive."

"But Mr. Hodge, who originated the part in the London revival, brings a fluttery hyperintensity to the role that recharges it."

"But Mr. Hodge, who originated the part in the London revival, brings a fluttery hyperintensity to the role that recharges it."

"And when Albin leads the company in a beaming version of “The Best of Times,” a song that usually gives me hives, you’re likely to feel that a cramped, decrepit nightclub has become the coziest sanctuary in the world."

New York Times

"True, the production originated in London. But let’s not hold that against it, especially when its crown jewel—the wonderful Douglas Hodge as Albin, also known as ZaZa, star of the drag revue, chief peacock and mother hen—shines so brightly. Making the most of the lines afforded to him by Harvey Fierstein, who knows from drag queens, Hodge’s Albin is an extravagant fussbudget: at once self-dramatizing and generous, vulnerable and impossible."

Time Out

"Olivier-winning star Douglas Hodge in action, we'll take it. Kelsey Grammer may be the draw for local audiences, but the show is Hodge's alone."

"Hodge is all the more spectacular because he isn't getting much from his co-star."

" When Albin powers through the anthemic "I Am What I Am," he turns pride into a shield, but also a weapon. And it's an absolute thrill."

New York Post

I love to introduce Derek to Tony soon.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#18
Posted: 4/19/10 at 8:45am
Double Post

Updated On: 4/19/10 at 08:45 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#19
Posted: 4/19/10 at 8:54am
ffs its Doug!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#20
Posted: 4/19/10 at 9:06am
lololol Mamma
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#21
Posted: 4/19/10 at 12:15pm
"True, the production originated in London. But let’s not hold that against it"

Time Out

And where exactly did Time Out originate?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#22
Posted: 4/19/10 at 12:18pm
I love how all the gobby old gits on the Broadway board like PalJoey and Co have been silenced by the reception the show has now had.
This time last week they were breathing fire against it.
Empty pipes proven hollow yet again! x
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#23
Posted: 4/19/10 at 12:22pm
If you want to see some really nasty anti-British stuff about this show, check out All That Chat:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/

The thread called "Are the critics all Brain Dead?". The reply from the user called 'whyohwhyoh' is particularly astonishing.
Updated On: 4/19/10 at 12:22 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW 'Broadway' Loving Douglas Already#24
Posted: 4/19/10 at 12:28pm
You mean this idiot!
'Oh my friend you are so right on. This is one of the more shocking incidents where the critics are bowing down to a Brit import which had the critics in London kvelling. Like Cabaret before it, they think it's interesting to have it take place in a down and out club where all the rough edges show. Yes, it adds more of a pathetic edge but that is NOT true to the original source material which had some glamor attached. It's as if w did Philadelphia Story with the characters in patches- NOT the play as written. As well Hodge's Albin is supposed to be a revered star and believable as a drag performer NOT as some down on his luck barely passable bad performer. It's NOT English Music Hall- it's FRENCH cabaret- ENTIRELY different. The show is cheap and uill thought out. SLOOOOOOWWWW beyond belief. Hodge's performance is so "look at me!" which throws the play out of balance. The original production was inspiring, this is trying to be something it is not. I am SICK of the Menier Chocalate productions- minimalist garbage and hope that the volcano cloud stays a bit longer so we don't have to see Sweet Charity!!!

This **** most certainly hasnt seen the production! He needs to read Harvey's thoughts on this very production and Mr Hodges interpretation of Albin in particular.

I wish I could reply to him/it!
Updated On: 4/19/10 at 12:28 PM