Dreamboats extends until November

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#1
Posted: 4/4/10 at 2:46pm
At the Playhouse.

As much as I enjoyed this show... WHY?!?!

The Dress/Upper circles were closed and the stalls only 2/3 the night I went, It must be making money but I really don't know how it can run with such poor turnout.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#2
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:07pm
It depends on what night you went Mark?

Strange to extend to November, thought for a show like this it would extend to January to capture the lucrative Christmas market. However extensions are meaningless, this could close next week, just a desperate marketing tool, not a show that you need to book well in advance.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#2
Posted: 4/4/10 at 4:00pm
The cast were told a few weeks ago that their contracts were being extended so I don't think it's a spontaneous marketing tool.

It's a pretty cheap show to run by West End standards (actor-muso, so no additional musicians' fees, simple set, etc.- and Bill Kenwright is not noted for paying his actors too much LOL). And I think it's selling pretty well on weekends - it was full on the Saturday night I saw it.

I actually only went to see it coz a friend of mine is in the cast. But I have to admit that I really enjoyed it! (And I have an aversion to jukebox shows.) It is genuinely funny, the songs are all great and every member of the cast is brilliant. The biggest revelation was leading man, Scott Bruton (of X Factor fame). He had immense stage presence and natural charm and absolutely nailed all his vocals. It's a real crowd pleaser of a show and I'm not surprised this little guilty pleasure of mine has been extended.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#3
Posted: 4/4/10 at 6:42pm
I did go on a Tuesday night but still, it was rather shocking to see the theatre so empty. I can understand the upper circle being shut but the dress circle??
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#4
Posted: 4/4/10 at 6:53pm
Yes I agree, a show I am to happy to miss, hard to go and watch a show, when there was such a sublime production in there the show before.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#5
Posted: 4/4/10 at 7:04pm
^That was exactly my reasoning. La Cage NEVER sold badly enough to just have the stalls open did it??? I mean I would recommend seeing Dreamboats if you can get a cheap ticket, it IS good fun, but why extend if it can't sell. It would be better off doing Weekends at the Arts lol.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#6
Posted: 4/4/10 at 8:04pm
At times La Cage struggled, when Roger Allam and Phillip Quast was in, the Ambassadors website were offering tickets to the first 150 people for 15, I took advantage of this offer twice, I mean La Cage was great value at 60.

I am sure Kenwright The Frugal, isn't going to pay up to the cast if the show closes earlier than November.

So what is really the point in announcing the extension, when I go past the theatre next week I do not expect to see queues upto Trafalgar Square, nor the Ambassador website to go into melt down.
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Dreamboats extends until November#7
Posted: 4/4/10 at 8:13pm
I knew it struggled at points - it's such a pity it did so when those two were in, as despite not being 'names' they were far and away my favourites in the roles.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#8
Posted: 4/5/10 at 10:01am
The Playhouse is and always has been a producers last choice to put a show in to. Since it was gloriously reclaimed back for life as a theatre in the mid 1987 it has not one great big hit on its stage. 'La Cage' is by far The Playhouses biggest show.

'Dreamboats' is an ATG show and The Playhouse is an ATG theatre- big savings there and the show made its money back last year.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#9
Posted: 4/5/10 at 10:28am
Ive still yet to go to the Playhouse
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dreamboats extends until November#10
Posted: 4/5/10 at 10:29am
It's a lovely little theatre, but in an awful location - it's not exactly on the way to anywhere, is it? Dreamboats extends until November
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#11
Posted: 4/5/10 at 10:32am
That has always been its problem with most producers. All producers like a bit of passing trade but The Playhouse is on the way to nowhere, as you rightly say.
And, yes, it is a beautiful little theatre.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#12
Posted: 4/5/10 at 6:50pm
Whether it's on the road to anywhere depends on where you're going I guess lol. It's a few yards from the Jubilee Bridge across to the South Bank and I always walk across there on every trip to London so it would be very much a passing trade venue for someone like me. But I can see that many people don't walk around as much as I do and then only walk around the centre of the West End.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#13
Posted: 4/5/10 at 7:29pm
The Playhouse is in a perfect location, 2 minutes walk to Charing Cross Station, where a train runs every 30 minutes to Bexleyheath. I am sure Mark will back me up on this one!
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#14
Posted: 4/5/10 at 7:47pm
^Yep!! So easy to get to. 2 mins from Charing X for the La Cage matinee then a lovely stroll across the bridge to the National for Habit of Art.

I wouldn't of said this was the worst theatre to find by a longshot though. New London, Shaftesbury, Palladium, and the two in Victoria can be alot more awkward. I never used to be able to find the Shaftesbury.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dreamboats extends until November#15
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:29am
The Shaftesbury actually moves from time to time. That's the conclusion I've come to, anyway... Dreamboats extends until November

I didn't mean the Playhouse was difficult to find if you're looking for it (unlike the ones you mention) but rather that it doesn't have the obvious advantage that, for example, the ones on Shaftesbury Avenue have, that anyone walking down the road can't help but notice what's on there, and so if they are planning a trip to the theatre at some point, those will be the first they think of.

The only time I tend to walk past the Playhouse is if I'm heading from the West End to the Old Vic or the NT.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#16
Posted: 4/6/10 at 8:20am
Having worked on the South Bank I know for certain that you do not walk pat the Playhouse when walking to the West End unless your going left to wards Buckingham Palace and the Whitehall Theatre!!!!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamboats extends until November#17
Posted: 4/6/10 at 12:08pm
Showing your age, Mama LOL Trafalgar Studios now.

But that's the way I always walk from the West End over to the South Bank. From Leicester Sq to Trafalgar Sq, then down past the Playhouse and over the Jubilee Bridge just to the right of Embankment Station.