Page: 1

Find West End Box Office Grosses

naimas777
Swing
Swing
Find West End Box Office Grosses#1
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:51pm
Hi,

I am wondering if there is a website or magazine where I can find WEST END theatre box office grosses per show. I am NOT looking for Broadway grosses, just West End.

Thanks.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#2
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:19am
There is not. West End shows don't publish their grosses.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#2
Posted: 3/23/10 at 3:50am
This subject has been brought up many times on this board and a couple of times by yours truly.

Unfortunately West End theatre do not publish their grosses in any form, the West End theatre crowd are not worthy of the weekly grosses like our Broadway friends, New York publish their grosses because they are proud of providing the best theatre in the world and like to show it off, unlike us.

I am a big fan of publishing grosses, a good read every couple of weeks and I use the Broadway grosses all the time as a refrence.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#3
Posted: 3/23/10 at 5:44am
POL that statement is a little bit over the top.
Piper3500 Profile PhotoPiper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#4
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:03pm
yes, i agree it is a little. since moving from England, I know my proud husband makes a joke often on the people from England on American telly to think he is like "Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne, and Simon Cowell" (well, we like Simon) but he is very proud to be English and some of their traditions. I don't know the "real reason" they don't publish their box office grosses. it has to be a little more than the answer two above.
"it's a dirty little war"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#5
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:58pm
Why is my statement a bit over the top?
naimas777
Swing
Swing
Find West End Box Office Grosses#6
Posted: 3/23/10 at 1:46pm
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I was wondering why it was so annoying hard to find the grosses.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#7
Posted: 3/25/10 at 7:28pm
They tried it in the early 80s and it proved very bitchy and it went to the wall after a few months. As Ive said before on here with this subject,its not contractual and would you want the world to know what you earn every week! ??? No.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#8
Posted: 3/26/10 at 1:16am
YES

If they can be open with their figures in New York, surely we can do the same.

I have a flight to catch.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#9
Posted: 3/26/10 at 2:57am
Quite possibly the reason that grosses are published in the U.S. might be that in the (long ago) past shows were frequently bankrolled by many many investors and this was a way for said investors to keep of track of their investment, whereas in Britain the actor/manager/producer was more prevalent and frequently shows were financed from a single source and I guess it was thought that it was nobody else's business what money the show was bringing in.

I doubt that if Broadway didn't have a history of declared grosses they would start this now. Of course these declared grosses are frequently highly inflated -wasn't Cameron Macintosh caught out a few years back?
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Find West End Box Office Grosses#10
Posted: 3/26/10 at 4:15am
I dont mind either way really, although it would be interesting to see. I did find it surprising they dont just because movies, music etc haave charts, just seems a natural conlusion that a major form of entertainment like theatre would