Page: 1

What Play did I see?

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Play did I see?#1
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:38pm
I saw a play in the west End in the 1990's, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the play or the theatre it played, so wondering if you can help me?

All what I can tell you the play was very loosely based on 'One Foot in the Grave' and the play was eith written or directed, or written and directed by Michael Palin.

Is anyone able to help me?
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What Play did I see?#2
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:44pm
I think you saw 'Weekend' not sure if it was directed by him but certainly written by him, 1994, Strand Theatre (what is that now?)Am I right Richard Wilson was actually in it too?

*Bit of a Palin fan but surprised I knew that one!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Play did I see?#2
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:51pm
Yep sounds like 'Weekend', it had dreadful reviews and closed after just 7 weeks. It also starred Angela Thorne of 'To The Manor Born' fame.
Michael Palin's first stage play is about an elderly gentleman, Stephen Febble, who must endure a weekend with his daughter, her dreary husband, and their precocious child.

It toured the UK a few years ago.
Updated On: 3/16/10 at 04:51 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Play did I see?#3
Posted: 3/16/10 at 8:09pm
Yes, this seems to ring a bell, I think it was called 'The Weekend' , I can see why it lasted several weeks.

I was sitting near to Michael Palin, who had his son with him, it was clearly the first time his son saw the show, as when Richard Wilson, spoke one of his lines that contained the word ****, his son gave him a stare that told a thousand words, quite witty at the time.