Page: 1

Les Mis Tour at Novello?

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#1
Posted: 2/9/10 at 5:51am
Apparently this due to arrive at the Novello from 18th May to Sat 10th July.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#2
Posted: 2/9/10 at 7:15am
really? How strange. Why would he have two productions in the West End, I can see why it would go back to the Barbican, but the Novello?! Weird!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#2
Posted: 2/9/10 at 8:03am
Barbican is a bugger to get to.
Meirion
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#3
Posted: 2/9/10 at 8:42am
Isn't the show in Paris then?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#4
Posted: 2/9/10 at 8:56am
This has been rumoured on the 'Whats on Stage' website.

Cameron Mackintosh is planning an audacious move later in the year when he brings the reworked 25th Anniversary touring production of Les Miserables to London, where its competition will include the original version, currently at the Queen's Theatre.

Speaking to BBC Points West recently about the current tour, the veteran producer said: “For the 25th Anniversary the show is going to do a short season in London, which I'm going to announce very shortly … I'll have both productions running simultaneously, something that's never happened before.”

The new production, which is directed by Laurence Connor and James Powell and designed by Matt Kinley, stars Gareth Gates as Marius, John Owen-Jones as Jean Valjean, and Earl Carpenter as Javert (See News, 29 Jun 2009).

In the same interview Mackintosh also referred to a “new musical” he is working on for January 2011. This is believed to be Betty Blue Eyes (based on the film A Private Affair), which has been adapted by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe and is due to open with a four-week run at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#5
Posted: 2/9/10 at 10:05am
The rumour was always for the Barbican.

Interestingly Paris is no longer on the tour schedule on the les Mis website....
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#6
Posted: 2/9/10 at 10:23am
Paris thought better of it.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#7
Posted: 2/9/10 at 1:46pm
Something similar happened in New York with the 1990's production of Grease. The Broadway revival was produced by the Wisslers (the same rich people who produced Chicago in London and New York). They brought the tour to NYC's City Centre while the revival was still playing on Broadway.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#8
Posted: 2/9/10 at 2:51pm
Tickets for the Chatelet run still seem to be on sale (26th May to 4th July) through their website. Who knows why they've gone from the official website of the show.

Not heard anything about the Novello run myself, although maybe they do need something to fill the venue after Cat On A Hot Tin Roof closes in April.
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#9
Posted: 2/9/10 at 5:16pm
I couldn't find out about the Paris stop on the website ever. It's still for sale on the website and it's still on the facebook page - I'm meant to be seeing it in Paris so I'm hoping this isn't true!
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#10
Posted: 2/10/10 at 4:51am
Such a strange move.

What's the 'new' production like? Is it just the same old with a few changes, or is it a completely new design etc?
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#11
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:38am
New design, direction, lighting, orchestrations... In the programme for the Cardiff stop, Cameron Mackintosh said he wanted to treat it like it was a new show.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#12
Posted: 2/10/10 at 7:13am
I googled it and saw some pictures of a minimalist-looking thing with a diamond centre stage, uplighting etc, is that it? It said they had a cast of 29 and 14 musicians.

In fairness, the orchestrations they use in the Queen's are so awful, they'd have to do something about that. It went from the Palace 22 piece to 13 piece and awful, am I recalling correctly? I think there was a different arrangement again in the 'Broadway Revival' of Daphne Rubin Vega notoriety, and that sounded completely disasterous.

Do you know who did the new orchestrations? I'd like to hear a Bill Brohn job on Les Mis, now that I think of it.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#13
Posted: 2/10/10 at 8:26am
Good lord, cloase the 1st one before putting this in
former sadm2 (wink)
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#14
Posted: 2/10/10 at 1:07pm
My friend just rang up the theatre in France (in French, I'm very impressed!) and they said it will still be on there :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#15
Posted: 2/10/10 at 1:25pm
Close both.

The original is as from the original, theatre goers think they are seeing as possibly could be.
The new one is simply yesterdays hot ticket cooked warmed up!!

Shame none of the money it took to stage this new version wasn't put where his mouth is - into the West End theates he says he will renovate.
The tour alone is taking up to 1M a week at the box office- most thetres are 100% sold out months before the show even opens there.
Updated On: 2/10/10 at 01:25 PM
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#16
Posted: 2/10/10 at 2:04pm
I agree with closing London, and really see having both there as a money grabbing exercise.

The tour was good for people like me who couldn't be bothered to see the 'orginal' in London, or for those who can't/wont venture away from their own locality, it was a good evening out, some great features (mainly cast) but do we really need a massive tour and a London production-oh sorry two!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#17
Posted: 2/10/10 at 3:54pm
I cannot see what all the fuss is about, the second production is only coming to London for a matter of weeks, it would be a delight for me to see a reworked Les Miserable, as I love theatre on a different level to most other people, it would be a privilege to see the worlds greatest musical done differently albeit for a limited run.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#18
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:46pm
vmlinnie - there are some tour photos on the official Facebook page, though they don't show much set detail:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=les+miserables&init=quick#!/pages/Les-Miserables-25th-Anniversary-UK-Tour/217240141163?v=photos

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#19
Posted: 2/11/10 at 7:47pm
I got into a bit of a fight with Gareth Gates last night at the stage door.

I said to him, 'Listen mate! Dont start what you can't finish".

That shut him up .......... eventually.
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#20
Posted: 2/12/10 at 6:57am
hahahahahahahahaha mama youve just6 made my day!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#21
Posted: 2/12/10 at 6:17pm
I just had a thought tonight when I went to the Duchess to see Ghosts.

Wouldn't it be strange to have Les Miserables and The Fantasticks, both musicals which have claimed to be the worlds longest running, playing opposite each other? I really hope it happens.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis Tour at Novello?#22
Posted: 2/19/10 at 8:03pm
I saw Les Miserable again for the 5th time, last time I saw this was at the Broadhurst Theatre, New York.

Being a cheap skate I bought a cheap ticket at the back of the stalls, bad move by me as I could not see the whole stage, I hate seeing a show if I cannot see the complete stage, you get what you pay for. Next time I see this I go to TKTS and get decent tickets, no chance of doing this last night being Friday night and half term. Tonight was a sold out performance, speaking to box office staff, one confirmed to me "Susan Boile added significant box office to this show".

Victor Hugo book which is the French equivalent to Charles Dickens, giving people a lesson in sociology, in the hope for social improvement. It was a master stroke by the creators to add The Thenardier's to the musical, otherwise it would be a very morbid show.

What also ruined the first part of the second half is my phobia of gun-fire, which ruined the barricade scenes, I should go and see a hypnotist and get over it. I was initially excited to see Simon Bowman as Valjean, as I saw him many years ago in Miss Saigon, however this was not the best Valjean I have seen, also Alistair Brammer as Marius was awful, it was a case of 'empty voice at empty tables' I was glad he could act, because he could not sing, the rest of the cast were brilliant, the most notable was Rebecca Seale as Fantine and David Thaxton as Enjolras.

Amazing Les Miserable is still getting full standing ovation after 25 years, this is simple down to being one of the best shows to hit a stage in the world! Long may it continue.