Page: 1

Broadway Try Out's

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#1
Posted: 1/17/10 at 6:49pm
Mama mentioned in another thread about Beauty and the Beast trying out in Houston, I have never known a show to try out in Houston, then again I have not been following American theatre for very long. Just curious where have shows have tried out in America? Here is a few I know.

Catch Me if you Can - Seattle
Come Fly - Atlanta
Addams Family - Chicago
The Producers - Chicago
Young Frankenstein - Seattle
Shrek - Seattle
Spamalot - Chicago
Moving Out - Chicago
9-5 - Los Angeles
A Catered Affair - San Diego
Wicked - San Francisco
Little Mermaid - Denver
The Woman in White - Chicago
The Pirate Queen - Chicago
Hairspray - Seattle
Legally Blonde - San Francisco
Jersey Boys - San Diego
Cry Baby - San Diego
Color Purple - Atlanta
The Drowsy Chaperone - Toronto
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - San Diego
Lestat - San Francisco
All Shook Up - Chicago
Dracula - San Diego
Aida - Chicago
Thoroughly Modern Millie - San Diego
Annie Get Your Gun - Washington
Ragtime - Toronto
Les Miserable - Washington

Some of the shows above I knew already, some others I researched by Wilkapedia and weekly grosses, some shows do not have a try out, it is common for revivals not to have a try out and shoes coming over from the West End.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 7:34pm
Ummm, not to be pickey, but Toronto is quite in America! :)
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 9:06pm
Let's see,

Aida depending on the version your talking about never tried out in Chicago. It wa Atlanta.

Furthermore, Drowsy tried out it in L.A. Yes, the original show and concept was from Toronto but the show itself tried out in L.A.

Les Miserables is not considered to be a Broadway show with an out of town try out since it came from England. Sure, it had its American debut in Washington but that is different then having an out of town try out.

Also, same goes for Woman In White, that was a British show that came to America after running in England.

There are more errors but not due to your lack of knowledge but rather the fact that you got the information form Wikipedia.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#3
Posted: 1/17/10 at 9:51pm
'Disneys, Beauty And The Beast'
The production was a joint venture between Disney Theatricals and Houston's Theatre Under The Stars.
It had its World Premier in Houston at the city's Music Hall Theatre on Nov 28th 1993 where it ran for 4 weeks.
It transfered to the Palace Theatre on Broadway on April 18th 1994 and stayed until 2007 with a transfer to the Lunte-Fontanne.

Frank Wildhorns 'Jekyll and Hyde' started off in Houston in 1995 prior to it's Broadway run.
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 09:51 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#4
Posted: 1/19/10 at 1:53pm
Wildhorn's The Civil War also had its tryout at the Alley Theatre in Houston. Jekyll and Hyde had three separate productions in Houston prior to its Broadway run, which was massively reworked and resembled little of what was seen in Houston (and Seattle). Houston also had several other world premieres and intended Broadway productions that never panned out including Ninfa!, Svengali and The Czar of Rock and Roll.

Whistle Down the Wind had its tryout in Washington, DC in 1996 and its scheduled Broadway opening in 1997 was canceled due to its disastrous reception. The show was revised and later opened in the West End in 1998.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#5
Posted: 1/19/10 at 1:56pm
Frank Wildhorns 'Jekyll and Hyde' started off in Houston in 1995 prior to it's Broadway run.

Actually, the first production began in 1990.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#6
Posted: 1/19/10 at 6:14pm
Of course - there have been many shows that have "tried out" in various US cities and not gone on to open on Broadway. The most notable recent show in that category is Kander & Ebb's fantastic "The Visit", which was seen a while ago in Chicago and then , after rewrites, presented at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia. That production was seriously awesome but still failed to pick up the necessary investment to take it to NYC.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 1/19/10 at 06:14 PM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#7
Posted: 1/20/10 at 1:56am
Also if you want to look at a show that has started out in London but never made it to Broadway look at Martin Guier sp? That show went on a " pre Broadway tour" and never made it to Broadway. I believe they scrapped the tour midway through due to the fact that the show wasn't selling.

I know that Dirty Dancing went on a tour also billed as a pre Broadway tour. However, the production closed after its last stop which was L.A. I had seen the show twice in Boston. Yes, I admit it I saw it twice. But, when your in college in the middle of nowhere and desperate for theatre, two monkeys onstage blowing one another would be considered a fantastic production. But, I digress.

I had asked some of the cast as they were collecting for Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS after the show. I remember them saying that something is in the works etc. Not too long after there was an article in Verity that said that they were aiming for The Neil Simon. Of course, that has yet to happen.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#8
Posted: 1/20/10 at 1:29pm
winston it Guerre!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Try Out's#9
Posted: 1/20/10 at 5:21pm
I forgot about The Visit! I saw it at the Goodman in Chicago with Chita and it was...not bad. I enjoyed what I saw, which was quite bizarre, but I seriously doubted its commercial appeal. I also saw Bounce at the Goodman and was tempted to leave at intermission. Slow, dull and forgettable. I do remember Light in the Piazza played Seattle in a smaller production before landing at the Goodman in its official Broadway tryout. I actually preferred the Clara and Fabrizio at the Goodman over their Broadway counterparts.

Wildhorn's Wonderland is making its next stop in Houston. Gregory Boyd LOVES Frank Wildhorn and Linda Eder.