Page: 1

Antonio Banderas set to take Zorba back to The Great White Way?

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stage and screen star Antonio Banderas, who made his Broadway debut in the Tony-winning revival of Nine, is headed back to the Great White Way.

Banderas, according to the New York Post, will head the cast of a Broadway revival of Zorba next season. Barry and Fran Weissler will produce the production, which will be directed by The Color Purple's Gary Griffin with choreography by Sergio Trujillo.

No official announcement about the production has been made.

Zorba features a score by John Kander and the late Fred Ebb and a book by Joseph Stein. The musical is based on the Nikos Kazantzakis novel "Zorba the Greek" (also known as a 1965 film starring Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates). Quinn starred in a revised 1983 revival of the zesty 1968 musical. Herschel Bernardi originated the role on stage.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If this is true, it's fantastic news! Kander & Ebb's "Zorba" score is fabulous - never seen the show but adore both cast recordings and would love to see any kind of production and certainly one with Banderas!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Surely he isn't playing Zorba?
wildcat Profile Photowildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joseph Stein is revising the book to accommodate a younger leading man. And I'm sure Banderas will age up a LITTLE.

I love the score of ZORBA but the ponderous script makes it feel like a long night in the theatre.

Has the show been done in London since Alfred Marks and Miriam Karlin did it at Greenwich in the 70s?
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Someone should do it in Melbourne - the second largest Greek city in the world outside Athens. Greeks generally don't like the film, and I guess the show as they feel it makes them look foolish. Hmmm.

Alfred Marks and Miriam Karlin? That would have been just like the original Broadway production with the two leads direct from the Broadway production of FIDDLER.
wildcat Profile Photowildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
John Diedrich directed a good production at the Capitol Theatre in Sydney as a "one night only" charity event while he was playing Billy Flynn in CHICAGO. George Spartels was Zorba, Caroline O'Connor played the Widow, Maria Mercedes was the Leader, Kate Fitzpatrick was Hortense, Anthony Weigh played Nikos and the CHICAGO company played the ensemble roles.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maria Mercedes is someone I have long thought of as The Leader in that show. George Spartels would have made a rather short Zorba, no? I was unaware of this presentation in Sydney.