Page: 1

Oliver question LONDON BRIDGE/THE CHASE

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver question LONDON BRIDGE/THE CHASE#1
Posted: 11/4/09 at 10:21am
The last time i was listening to the oliver 2009 cast recording in the chase/london bridge is Mr Barnlow (sorry if spelling is wrong) on the bridge when nancy is killed or down on the street
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In the pub!
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
really? Okay thanks
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mama, don't tease the poor lad.

Jamie, Mr Brownlow isn't even on stage when Nancy dies. Nancy and Oliver are waiting for him when Sikes arrives - Brownlow only arrives on the scene just in time before Sikes flees.
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey Mama! I actually believed you. LOL

Thanks DeNada
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
But really he is in the pub across the road from the theatre re: Oliver question LONDON BRIDGE/THE CHASE

Ok I'll behave too, we don't see Brownlow during any of the chase scence, there are one or two 'passers by' when Nancy arrives then when Sikes turns up they are alone, again it is a 'passer by' who finds her and a few others join them before Browlow appears.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was hoping to take a seven year old. Is it too dramatic or scary. You dont actually see her getting killed do you?
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A seven year old should be ok. I did think after I'd seen it there were a lot of young kids there who it would be too scary for, you don't actually see anything (Nancy is hidden behind the bridge on the floor) but it's still pretty disturbing.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there any other 'scary' stuff to look out for?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jane Horrocks in Annie Get Your Gun
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nothing much scary in this production (unlike the 1994 version - where I still remember the death scene to this day... along with the real lighting forks on the stage and Bill Sikes being absolutely terrifying).

It's pretty dark and bleak at points, but those moments are uplifted by the colourful scenes of Who Will Buy and Consider Yourself.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What was wonrg with the one in the pallaidm
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
At the where? re: Oliver question LONDON BRIDGE/THE CHASE

There was nothing wrong with the production - it was amazing! Just had creepier moments than the current version playing at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why was the death scene sio scary
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well, the bit I remember vividly was every time Nancy was clobbered by Sikes' crow bar, a shaft of light flashed from her body and lit up - it was almost symbolic. There were a lot more hits in 1994 than there are in the latest incarnation and it was just more powerful.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this production both at The Palladium and the Drury Lane and the 1994 production is slightly better but I remember being quite scared of Bill. Although Oliver! is seen a family musical, it is quite dark with two deaths and the only character who gets a happy ending is Oliver.