Broadway Legend
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This probably really shows my age (or lack there of), but of the three names announced I've only heard of Sharon D. Clarke. Am I just young, or totally ignorant? Who are Phil Jupitus and Belinda Carlisle?

I'lll be sad to see Liz Robertson go, mostly because I love the stage door chats we have about her VERY brief Broadway career in Dance a Little Closer.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Am i right in saying it was belinda who sang the song "heaven is a place on earth?
And Phil is a british comedian and regular pannelist on music quiz show "never mind the buzzcocks" on BBC2

Belinda and Sharon will be fabulous, im not convinced yet about Phil!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOVE Belinda Carlisle! And yes con you are right, she also sang a lot more too!

Phil I think really looks the part, think he has potential.

Sharon is obvious casting, but great none the less!

Actually Liz Robertson I thought was quite weak
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was told this the other night and it went over my head as i have no idea who this Jupitus guy is???
BUT BUT BUT -he looks absolutely fab as Edna!

Belinda Carlisle will have little appeal to anyone under 40 and is stunt casting of a kind.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oz - it has nothing to do with age. I've never heard of Phil Jupitus or Belinda Carlisle either! lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
That Groovy Guy Profile PhotoThat Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
Stand-by
Stand-by
Little appeal to anyone under 40? She had at least six Top 20 songs in the UK in the 90s alone. I'm sure people under 40 can remember that.
"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This casting is disappointment for me., not a suitable calibre actor for Edna, a bit weak.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember her the first time round!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was a bit unsure about Phil Jupitus but he really does look the part, it will be interesting singing wise but then Harvey Fierstein was fab as Edna but sounded awful if you only heard the CD.

Sharon D Clarke is a great choice for Motormouth!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Jupitus is one of the judges of Never Mind The Judges.
He looks absolutely FAB as Edna! And Belina looks alot like Michelle Pfeiffer!
Can't wait! esp to see Sharon Clarke as Motormouth!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol im 28 and know who (and love her) Belinda Carlisle is. Finally we get a sexy Velma! She looks brilliant.

Phil looks much better as Edna than Brian does in my view. I enjoyed Brian as Edna, but he was too slim and almost too attractive! lol Phil is definately closer to Harvey (and Divine in the original movie). He has acted before, so as long as he can hold a tune he could be good! Lets face it, cant be vocally worse than Harvey on the OBC.

I am surprised how few people seem to have heard of Phil though
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Me too, Phill Jupitus is pretty famous! I've heard him trilling about on Buzzcocks before, he can definitely hold a tune, though not to Ball or Conley's calibre. Will be interesting...
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do you guys just not watch Never Mind the Buzzcocks? I know hardly anything about music but I still love it! Mind you, it's going to be a sad sad shadow of its former self now Bill Bailey *and* Simon Amstell have packed it in. re: Jupitus, Clarke and Carlisle join Hairspray from 26 October Maybe if they beg really hard, they could get Josh Groban back. I know little about his singing career, but I know he was COMPLETELY hilarious on Buzzcocks. re: Jupitus, Clarke and Carlisle join Hairspray from 26 October
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I found Jupitus kind of disappointing in Life coach, he was competent but I thought he should have been able to get a lot more out of it. He does look good though and should continue to bring the fuinnies like Conley.

Wasnt Sharon 1st choice for motormouth originally but still tied to holby? She'll be amazing but I'll miss Sandra marvin.

And am too too excited about Belinda.
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
phil will be amazing as edna!!! he's a comedien for gods sake!!! his comedy ongs are just divine and ive seen him act in stuff before and thought he was great.... i really think we have someone here who could possibly be better than mb!!!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Well, I didn't think Michael Ball was as great as everyone said he was. I preferred Brian Conley! He really sparkled for me.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Great news! So happy about Sharon in particular, really excited now. Do you think Brian will return after his panto stint? x
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I think Belinda will be great, not sure about Phil at all though, feels like really bad stunt casting to try to attract a different audience to the show.
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I have no idea whether he will, but I really hope Brian does return, he makes a fantastic Edna - he has everything, the comedy, the voice, the acting, everything, and it would be sad if he only got a couple of months in the role. He is more than a match for Michael Ball. I'll reserve judgement on Phill - think it could be a really interesting choice. Or a really bad one!
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Here is a clip of Phill Jupitus singing...... well.....sort of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbp0DwpHPy4

Its a clip of him on Never Mind the Buzzcocks with Mel C