Page: 1

Possible Broadway Transfers?

mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Possible Broadway Transfers?#1
Posted: 8/30/09 at 5:10am
I've got a NYC trip planned just after Thanksgiving and limited for time so having to narrow down what I see.

Is there any buzz about West End transfers of Hair and In the Heights? If so I could easily hold off seeing those two shows. I'm still annoyed I didn't go and see In the Heights off-Broadway when I had the chance.

Also is the revival of South Pacific really a must see? By the time I go Kelli O'Hara will be back in the cast alongside Paulo Szot and by all accounts its quite a magical production we are unlikely to see over here.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#2
Posted: 8/30/09 at 5:15am
South Pacific at Lincoln Center is certainly a "must see"! Fabulous production. And even more so if Kelli O'Hara will be back in it. I thought she was the best Nellie I've ever seen. (Not so keen on Paulo Szot though - his vocals were superb but I thought his acting was a bit wooden.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#2
Posted: 8/30/09 at 6:14am
from what i hear the new revival of ragtime is supposed to be superb !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#3
Posted: 8/30/09 at 6:56am
South Pacific is about as great a production as we're ever likely to see of South Pacific. It can't quite mask what I think is a bizarre element of the writing - Act Two peaks with "This Nearly Was Mine"... and then there's 20 minutes of book still to go, with all of the action offstage. But it's so well directed, designed and performed and configured so specifically for the Beaumont stage, it probably would not have the same impact anywhere else.

Not sure how and if In the Heights would fly in London. I think the London critics would eat the show alive for its soap opera-ish plot and sentimentality, but the score has charm, with some fun, quirky lyrics and I liked a lot of the choreography and staging.

I'd bet that Hair will make its way over.

As far as new things to see, the fall season includes: Tracy Letts' new play, Superior Donuts; Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig in A Steady Rain; revivals of Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs and Broadway Bound, directed by the wonderful David Cromer; revivals of Bye Bye Birdie, Ragtime and Finian's Rainbow; the new musicals Memphis and Fela!; Sarah Ruhl's new play In the Next Room; a new Mamet with Race and an old Mamet with Oleanna; Sienna Miller in Patrick Marber's After Miss Julie; the Donmar's Hamlet with Jude Law; a revival of The Royal Family; and Carrie Fisher in her one-woman show, Wishful Drinking.

Since you seem to be inquiring about the musicals, you might want to investigate Fela! and Ragtime and see if they are for you.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#4
Posted: 8/30/09 at 7:02am
Apparently In The Heights is coming over, not to the West End though, i actually have to disagree (for the 1st time ever) with Smaxie, i think the critics would love this show here.

I hope to god Hair makes it over
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#5
Posted: 8/30/09 at 7:08am
I don't know, songanddance. Your critics are meaner than ours! And they mostly hate everything we send over, save for the occasional Hairspray or Jersey Boys that somehow gets by.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#6
Posted: 8/30/09 at 8:24am
see i think your critics are meaner lol, ours are just mean when they see really bad shows, thats when the knives come out.

Reading the UK press reviews for shows like Gone With The Wind, Imagine This and Too Close To The Sun is a guilty pleasure lol

I know in a lof theatre articles in many of the main papers especially around Tony Time, the UK writers and critics seemed to very positive about In The Heights
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Michael9
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#7
Posted: 8/30/09 at 8:32am
Anyone know if there's plans for Next To Normal to make it's way over?

It's the one show I'm gutted to have missed while in NYC this Summer.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#8
Posted: 8/30/09 at 1:44pm
Ragtime is definitely on the list and looks like Fela! will be too since its the only musical I want to see that does a Sunday evening during Thanksgiving Week. Also with Lillias White in the cast that also gives me ample reason.

Next to Normal and Dreamgirls at the Apollo are also on my list. And probably Bye Bye Birdie.. looks like Hair and Finian's Rainbow may not make the cut (and hopefully both still running by next visit in the Spring)

Cheers for the views.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Possible Broadway Transfers?#9
Posted: 8/30/09 at 2:44pm
You are wise to see Next to Normal, even wiser to see South Pacific both productions I recommend.