Page: 1

West End Suggestions?

hubee Profile Photohubee Profile Photo
hubee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
West End Suggestions?#1
Posted: 7/19/09 at 5:04pm
I've got one slot left in a short weekend trip to London and was deciding between A Little Night Music or England People Very Nice. Any thoughts?

I'm cheap so I was probably going to either do the 10 EPVN tickets or either do the 25 rush for ALNM or the cheap seats up top.
I'm leaning towards EPVN, partly because I might just want to wait to see the ALNM transfer in New York instead (where there will probably be better deals and bigger names as well).

(I have tickets to Hamlet and War Horse already and Priscilla for the future)

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Suggestions?#2
Posted: 7/19/09 at 5:39pm
EVPN didn't get the best reviews, but it's certainly the kind of piece that gets people talking. I'd definitely say to see it over ALNM, esp. with the transfer coming up.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Suggestions?#2
Posted: 7/19/09 at 6:49pm
ALNM closes on July 25.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Suggestions?#3
Posted: 7/19/09 at 7:01pm
Ugh ugh ugh ugh UGH! DO NOT SEE ENGLAND PEOPLE VERY NICE. I'm still pissed off with myself for not walking out at the interval. It was horrible. I'd've been more forgiving of the awfulness had it actually been funny, 'cos it's not like I'm easily offended at all, but it wasn't even. It was just BAD.

Consider seeing Arcadia instead. It's intelligent, emotional, timeless, beautiful, and just plain the best play in the West End right now. In short, the polar opposite of EPVN, and an absolute must-see.
Updated On: 7/19/09 at 07:01 PM
hubee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: West End Suggestions?#4
Posted: 7/19/09 at 7:36pm
Yah, I have Fri free so I would just be able to catch ALNM.

And yah, reading all the reviews and blogs and boards about EPVN and it seems to run the gamut from LOVE to HATE. I don't think I've read anything with such differing opinions. I'm half interested now just because of the diverse reactions. But fearful too from the negative ones. And to be honest, Im not sure where I would sit, based on the reviews.

Arcadia huh? Let me look that up...
tokenamerican Profile Phototokenamerican Profile Photo
tokenamerican
Understudy
Understudy
re: West End Suggestions?#5
Posted: 7/19/09 at 9:58pm
I keep hearing about people who were offended by England People Very Nice, which kind of makes me want to see it...
Whilst walking through Globe theatre: American woman to guide: "Excuse me, is this building pre-war?" Guide: "Madam, this building is pre-America."
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: West End Suggestions?#6
Posted: 7/20/09 at 10:06am
Do not see EPVN, whatever you do. It is a waste of your time and energy. ALNM is the way to go, or as Weez says, Arcadia is great.
hubee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: West End Suggestions?#7
Posted: 7/20/09 at 3:23pm
Anybody know if the Duke of York has any concessions or student rush for Arcadia?

Noticed they still have tons of the 15 cheapseats up top (though not great) so I still have time to decide.