Page: 1

Everybody loves a winner - royal exchange manchester

tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
So the reviews have started coming in on this new musical comissioned for the Manchester International Festival. Below are some of them.

Anyone else seen it? I'm going next week. But i'm going to be biased I think because one of my best friends is in it lol.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
*** - Michael Billington - The Guardian

"And you thought this was a game for other people." So says the caller in the fictitious bingo hall that is the setting for this show written and directed by Neil Bartlett as part of the Manchester International Festival.

But much of the fun of this unusual evening is that the theatre audience gets to play bingo for cash-prizes; and, if only Bartlett would get on with the game and cut some of the moralising cackle, he would have an absolute hit on his hands.

In essence, he has written a work-play on Wesker or Storey lines. We see the bingo-hall's harassed manager, her world-weary caller and the listless staff assembling for an early-morning opening.

Thirteen hours later, they lock up and depart having witnessed their regular clientele's daily demonstration of their hopes, dreams and desires. What makes this occasion different is that, suitably instructed in the rules, we too get to play; which must make this one of the first shows in theatrical history where members of the audience have the chance to go home better off than when they came in.

To his credit, Bartlett refuses to patronise the regular, predominantly female punters. What he suggests is that they are drawn to bingo not just for money but by a quasi-religious belief in the transformative power of luck: several times they break into parodies of the Lord's Prayer on the lines of "Give us this night another chance."

If anyone deserves our pity, implies Bartlett, it is the people who make the system work: the staff on 5.30 an hour, the manager aptly described as "red in suit and claw," and the caller, the Archie Rice of the bingo halls, who is clearly on the edge of breakdown. But while I welcome all this fascinating local colour, there comes a point in the second half when you simply want the live bingo to continue without too much speculative chat about what draws people here.

Even so, it is a good evening. Miriam Buether's design deftly re-creates the faint tackiness of the bingo hall with its strip lights and glitterballs. And there are a number of strong performances. Ian Puleston-Davies exactly conveys the loneliness of the longtime bingo caller, Sally Lindsay is all fretful anxiety as the manager, Emily Alexander is quietly hilarious as one of the bored staff who periodically sing in moderately close harmony and Sally Bankes is outrageous as a foul-mouthed punter. I didn't get to win the 200 prize, but I learned how to play the game and I suspect it will be both eyes down and a full house at the Royal Exchange over the next month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/jul/04/everybody-loves-a-winner-review
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What show is it Tom?
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
its basically a new musical they've written for the royal exchange - it's about the everyday lives of the people working in a bingo hall. It was an exchange production they've had in the pipeline to do for a while, and thanks to the Manchester International Festival comissioning it, it came to life.

They've transformed the main theatre of the Exchange into a real working bingo hall.... and it is amazing! The detail they have gone into is immense. You would not think it was the exchange at all. I have been working for the MIF for the last week and was there for opening night in the Box Office, so got a sneaky peek of the set.

I'm yet to see it in full, i'm going next week, but my good friend Amanda Henderson is one of the trio of Bingo workers, and she is an amazing talent so worth it just to see her alone.

I do however, sadly think it will not go any further than Manchester, as I don't quite know how they could adapt it for an 'end stage' theatre as part of the charm of it is that it is in the round. But who knows.

Mama I think it would be right up your street as there's a real game of bingo played during the show too where you can win 200... so you can combine your 2 favourite hobbies in one - bingo and theatre re: Everybody loves a winner - royal exchange manchester

And its not expensive to go see it either. Top priced seat is 25, and cheapest seat is 4 Monday specials. A Bargain in my eyes!
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
its basically a new musical they've written for the royal exchange - it's about the everyday lives of the people working in a bingo hall. It was an exchange production they've had in the pipeline to do for a while, and thanks to the Manchester International Festival comissioning it, it came to life.

They've transformed the main theatre of the Exchange into a real working bingo hall.... and it is amazing! The detail they have gone into is immense. You would not think it was the exchange at all. I have been working for the MIF for the last week and was there for opening night in the Box Office, so got a sneaky peek of the set.

I'm yet to see it in full, i'm going next week, but my good friend Amanda Henderson is one of the trio of Bingo workers, and she is an amazing talent so worth it just to see her alone.

I do however, sadly think it will not go any further than Manchester, as I don't quite know how they could adapt it for an 'end stage' theatre as part of the charm of it is that it is in the round. But who knows.

Mama I think it would be right up your street as there's a real game of bingo played during the show too where you can win 200... so you can combine your 2 favourite hobbies in one - bingo and theatre re: Everybody loves a winner - royal exchange manchester

And its not expensive to go see it either. Top priced seat is 25, and cheapest seat is 4 Monday specials. A Bargain in my eyes!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im going next week, a freiend went yesterday and loved it and won 20 lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It sounds fab-along the lines of that Adelphi play last year maybe.
But if its set in a bingo hall then would, in my mind, sit better in a pros arch theatre as 80% of bingo halls are old theatres and cinemas!

re: Everybody loves a winner - royal exchange manchester
Grand Theatre Doncaster.

Liverpool Pavillion Theatre

Updated On: 7/4/09 at 06:39 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'll have to go on a Tuesday as thats my lucky bingo day- M& S vouchers last week that will keep me in sandwiches for months!

Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I saw this on Wednesday, great show i absolutely adored it. It's a bit of a stretch to call it a musical though,very much a play with musical interludes. Was a bit scared at first as it had a strong whiff of a middle class snoot down the noise at a popular working class leisure activity. That is so not the case though, although it's very funny it actually explores why people play bingo and gamble generally quite seriously, and has some strongly poignant moments. The cast were uniformly excellent, though the players are quite crudely drawn this works well thou because they are effectly a greek chorus. As is often the case at the royal exchange the set is excellent and makes great use of the space. As tommy stated the way they have dressed the theatre as a whole is a stunning transformation. Although we didn't win the bingo we won a fiver on one of the fruit machines outside :)
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
mama I think thats the best Doncaster grands ever looked haha.

and are you talking 'once upon a time at the adelphi' for that thing in Liverpool last year you talk of haha?

Are you going to hop on a flight over to see it then? let me know if so, and i'll pop the kettle on ready for your arrival.

And boybooshka it seems we must keep missing each other as you were at the lowry the other day when I was on the box office, and you were there on Wednesday, and I was there representing the Quaytickets box office. Let me know your next plan and i'll say hello!
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I'm avoiding you on purpose! re: Everybody loves a winner - royal exchange manchester only joking. Next things up for me in Manchester are Prima Donna at the Palace on the 14th, then probably after that a visit to The Lowry for Annie. I work at front of house at the Bridgewater Hall, so if you're ever there feel free to say Hi, that goes for y'all. :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend