Michael Riedel reports in The New York Post today that Frank Langella will return to Broadway next season in MAN AND BOY, a 'long-forgotten but all too-topical play about a corrupt financier.' Langella took part in a staged reading of the show, which is aiming to play at the American Airlines Theatre in the fall.
Theater Talk, the series devoted to the world of the stage, is co-hosted by Michael Riedel, Broadway columnist for the New York Post and series producer Susan Haskins. This week on the show:
On Monday, May 9th at 6pm New York Post columnist and theatre critic Michael Riedel will interview Tony Award-winning actress Linda Lavin in the Bruno Walter Auditorium at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts (65th Street and Amsterdam Avenue).
David Zwirner is pleased to participate in this year's ZONA MACO Mexico Arte Contemporaneo (Booth A213), to be held at the Centro Banamex in Mexico City from Wednesday, April 6 through Sunday, April 10.
David Zwirner is pleased to participate in this year's ZONA MACO Mexico Arte Contemporaneo (Booth A213), to be held at the Centro Banamex in Mexico City from Wednesday, April 6 through Sunday, April 10.
David Zwirner is pleased to participate in this year's ZONA MACO Mexico Arte Contemporaneo (Booth A213), to be held at the Centro Banamex in Mexico City from Wednesday, April 6 through Sunday, April 10.
Ava Astaire and Patricia Watt have announced the nominating committee for the 2011 Fred & Adele Astaire Awards, the only awards that recognize excellence in dance on Broadway and in film.
Theater Talk, the series devoted to the world of the stage, is co-hosted by Michael Riedel, Broadway columnist for the New York Post and series producer Susan Haskins.
In today's The New York Post, Michael Riedel is reporting on one of the plans under consideration, which is to limit the attendence of producers in the orchestra section (to 2 per show he reports) while others will be seated in the balcony and at a potential simulcast tent in Central Park. The Tonys have previously been broadcast live in Times Square, and there's no official word yet if there will be a public simulcast in Central Park or if it'd a private event.
Theater Talk, the series devoted to the world of the stage, is co-hosted by Michael Riedel, Broadway columnist for the New York Post and series producer Susan Haskins.
Michael Riedel reports in the New York Post this morning that the famous hate-fest between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis is the inspiration of a new play that could hit the New York scene big as early as 2012. BETTE AND JOAN, as the play is called, receieved a private reading last week directed by Doug Hughes and starred Christine Ebersole (Bette Davis) and Jan Maxwell (Joan Crawford).
On Sunday, BroadwayWorld.com has confirmed that Glen Berger, co-writer of the book who has been left out of much other press coverage and speculation is very much still on board and is at work with comic book writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on making heavy revisions to the book. These changes are said to include much cutting of Julie Taymor's additions to the already rich SPIDER-MAN mythology including both the Geek Chorus, and Arachne. Other changes will include the Green Goblin remaining SPIDER-MAN's chief rival for the entire show which will involve changing both the ending of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2 (with a new opener by Bono and the Edge) along with many other changes in Act 2.
BroadwayWorld.com first checked with a member of the show's cast, who told us that they felt that this was surely simply a negotiating ploy by Taymor (if it was indeed true), and that her torpedo-ing the show as a whole was highly unlikely, and presumably a last resort. They did tell us that if the script was pulled, that they believed that the production would face an immediate shutdown, as opposed to the one already planned for mid-April.
We checked in with a legal expert, not affiliated with the production, for their take on reports that a Dramatists Guild Contract had not be signed and if Taymor could indeed pull her script from the production.
In today's New York Post, Michael Riedel is reporting that talks have 'turned testy' between Taymor and the producers, and that she is now threading to take the entire script of the show with her, which is said to have the production in 'chaos' with producers quickly scrambling a new script. There's no word on what this might due to the production in terms of additional rehearsal time if a deal is not able to be worked out.
Theater Talk, the series devoted to the world of the stage, is co-hosted by Michael Riedel, Broadway columnist for the New York Post and series producer Susan Haskins.
Talking to Don Imus this morning, legendary New York Times writer (and soon to be New York Magazine writer) Frank Rich said 'There is no way to fix a show this far into previews, according to Broadway history... it's a fool's errand at this point, if you know, follow history.' That said however, he also revealed that he has not seen the show, which has been in previews for months, because 'life is too short.'
The Wall Street Journal reports today that despite going public with the news that Julie Taymor will no longer move forward with SPIDER-MAN, her exit deal has not yet been finalized. Issues surrounding royalties, copywrites, and a non-disclosure have not yet been settled upon. Tamor's camp declined to comment on the separation negotiations. Litigation is not out of the question. Taymor will officially step down as head creative on March 15, 2011.
We're told that the cast today will be meeting with Actors Equity to explore their options and union protection. Many of the cast are up in arms since they've been rehearsing the show now since August of 2010 (or earlier) with much exhaustion and no end in site.
Jeremy Gerard at Bloomberg News is the first with more details on what will be cut from the show, and what changes will occur during the show's as of yet unannounced shutdown.
He reports that the Julie Taymor creation of Arachne will be heavily cut down, with her scenes being minimized and cut entirely, along with the song 'Deeply Furious' in which she and her minions go shopping for shoes, also said to be a Taymor favorite. Also on the chopping block? The Green Goblin's Act I death scene, which will make his Act II appearance more logical.
We're told that he'll be getting a big new Act II opening number as well.
In today's New York Post, Michael Riedel provides additional details about what's next for the show, most notably that Bono and The Edge are now expected to be fully, hands-on collaborators in the show as well as Bono himself going out to be the new 'face of the musical' for press.
A production source tells us that an official company meeting has been called for tonight at 7pm at the Foxwoods Theatre for all the SPIDER-MAN cast and crew to hear the news officially from producer Michael Cohl before an announcement is revealed to the press and public regarding the show's future. We're told that neither Bono, nor The Edge are expected to be there, and aside from Cohl, it's not been revealed what current, or future creative team members might be in attendance.