The Man Who Came To Dinner
The classic comedy about the dinner guest that won't leave!
by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman
director: Fuzz Roark
Audition Dates: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 1pm and Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 4pm
Prepare a comedic monologue (no more than 2 mins).
Be prepared to read sides with other actors (you may be asked to wait, to read with others)
Be prepared to improv various scenes from the play
Bring all rehearsal and performance conflicts to auditions.
performance dates: November 21 - December 21, 2014
Fri & Sat - 8pm, Sun - 2pm (Thur 12/11 - 8pm)
rehearsals: early September - tentative schedule Mon, Tue, Wed & Thur - 7p-10p
- final schedule once casting is complete.
Large cast show, with many roles doubled or tripled - 16 actors playing 29 roles!.
Skill at creating multiple characters needed. Cast Breakdown below.
Synopsis: (1940s) Sheridan Whiteside, having dined at the home of the Stanleys, slips on their doorstep, breaking his hip. A tumultuous six weeks of confinement follow. The Stanley living room is monopolized by the irascible invalid; ex-convicts are invited to meals; and transatlantic calls bring a $784 phone bill. The arrival of strange gifts from his friends further destroys domestic tranquility. It would take a stoical housewife to harbor penguins in her library, an octopus in her cellar, and 10,000 cockroaches in her kitchen. Throw in famous guests from Hollywood and a sudden romance, what more can happen? Just tons of laughs in the 1939 classic!
Presented by arrangement with Dramatists Play Service.
Mrs Daisy Stanley: female 40-60 y/o - Mr. Ernest W. Stanley’s wife. She constantly tries to placate her husband. She is a good hostess. Rarely speaks her own mind, unless she just has to!
Mr Ernest W. Stanley: male 40-60 y/o - He is a wealthy factory owner. He tends to be stuffy. Very much the man of the house, whose word is the law - until ....
Sheldon Whiteside: male, 40-60 y/o - An obnoxious, but famous, writer, critic and radio host. He is overbearing and demanding.
Maggie Cutler: female 25-30 y/o - Maggie is Whiteside’s secretary. She has a businesslike demeanor. She does everything for him, and until now, he has totally monopolized her time. She falls in love with Bert Jefferson.
Ms Preen: female 25-55 - Whiteside’s nurse. She tends to be stressed and unhappy. Strong comedic and sarcastic skills needed. Lots of physical comedy.
Bert Jefferson: male 30-40 y/o - He owns the town newspaper. He is an easy going man, but can be assertive. He falls in love with Maggie, but is seduced by Lorraine!
John: male, 45-60 y/o - the Stanley’s butler. He has been their butler for quite some time.
Sara: female 45-60 y/o - is the Stanley’s housekeeper. She has worked with them for quite some time.
Richard Stanley: male 18-22 y/o - Ernest and Daisy’s son. He is a photographer who yearns to travel.
June Stanley: female, 16-20 y/o - Ernest and Daisy’s daughter. She is in love with Sandy, a labor organizer at her father’s factory.
Lorraine Sheridan/Harriet Stanley/Neighbor Lady: female 25-30 y/o; strong character actor, must be able to create different characters on stage.
- Lorraine: female 25-30 - Lorraine is a movie star. She is trying to get married for money, so she is a bit of a gold digger. Very much a man magnet!
- Harriet: female 40-45 y/o - Harriet is Mr. Stanley's sister. She has a creepy personality. Character is based on Lizzie Borden, always wears a veil and dresses in black.
- Neighbor Lady: female 45-55 - High Society friend of Daisy a local busy-body. Very frumpy and a fan of Sheldon Whiteside.
Sandy/Dr. Bradley/Prof Metz/Detective: male 20-35 y/o; strong character actor, able to create very different characters.
- Sandy: male 20-25 - Youthful visionary, big & strong - a union organizer, trying to unionize Mr Stanley's factory, and in love with June, Stanley's daughter.
- Dr Bradley: male 45-55 - Dr. Bradley is the town doctor. He aspires to be a writer. (50-60 y/o)
- Prof Metz: male 45-55 - The professor is a nerdy entomologist, a friend of Whiteside, who drops in. (40-50 y/o)
- Detective: male 45-55 - Brings Richard and June back home after they try to run away. (40-50 y/o)
Beverly Carlton/Prisoner1: male, 35-55 y/o
- Beverly Carlton: an actor, songwriter, and plays the piano. Character is based on Noel Coward. Over the top! Ego as big as a Buick!
- Prisoner 1: one of the three murderers Whiteside invited to dine at the Stanley's!
Westcott/Prisoner2/Deputy1: male 30-50 y/o
- Westcott: the head radioman, handling Whiteside's live radio broadcast from the Stanley's living room.
- Prisoner 2: one of the three murderers White invited to dine at the Stanley's
- Deputy 1: one of the two Deputies that Stanley has called to remove Mr Whiteside.
RadioMan/Prisoner3/Deputy2: male 30-50 y/o
- Radio Man: radio technician assisting with broadcast
- Prisoner3: one of the three murderers White invited to dine at the Stanley's
- Deputy 2: one of the two Deputies that Stanley has called to remove Mr Whiteside.
Banjo/PrisonGuard: male 35-55 y/o; physical comedy for Banjo
- Banjo: a comedic actor in the style of Groucho Marx and Jimmy Durante, who drops in to visit Whiteside.
- Prison Guard: Guarding the three murderers that Whiteside invited to dine at the Stanley's