Writer's Theatre Of New Jersey Shares Lineup for Soundings Reading Series
The Writer's Theatre of New Jersey is kicking off their 2019 season with a series of new play readings in the new Madison Community Arts Center venue. This Winter Madison will be filled with writers eager to hear their pages come to life in front of an audience. Starting on January 3rd and going straight through until January 17th there will be 15 plays in 15 days.
Soundings Reading Series is designed to test a fairly developed play in front of an audience. The playwrights receive five hours of rehearsal with professional actors and a director, before their pieces are presented to the public. All readings are followed by a discussion with the author and director, guided by Artistic Director John Pietrowski.
"We have a great deal of variety in the plays we are working on this year," said John Pietrowski, Writers Theatre's Artistic Director. "Eleven of the 15 plays are written by award-winning New Jersey Writers, including six recipients of the NJ State Council on the Arts Playwriting Fellowship. Five of the plays are written by Artistic Directors of theatres inside and outside of the state: John Wooten of Premiere Stages, Deb Margolin of Split Britches, Eric Peterson of Oldcastle Theatre in Bennington Vermont, Stephen Fredericks of The Growing Stage, and Laura Ekstrand of Dreamcatcher Theatre."
"Parents of children age 12 and up should take special note of the Tuesday, January 8 reading-A Better Place to Be, by Stephen Fredericks of The Growing Stage. It's a very moving play about the immigrant experience, which will be fully produced at The Growing Stage in February."
The event is free with a suggested donation of $10.00 (or what you can). Donations can be made at the door or through the Writers Theatre website at www.wtnj.org. Writers Theater of New Jersey also offers a 7-Play Pass for a donation of $25; 14-Play Pass for a donation of $35 and a Big Read Pass for unlimited readings for a donation of $50 which includes guaranteed entry to all reading events including: Soundings Series, New Plays New Jersey, New Jersey Women Playwrights Reading, and Mile Square Playground. The dates and locations of these other reading series can be found on the WTNJ website.
- Jan 3: "Fading Grace" John Wooten
- Jan 4: "Love's Executioner" Deb Margolin
- Jan 5: "Miss Keller Has No Second Book" Deb Hiett
- Jan 6: "Water Water Everywhere" Eric Peterson
- Jan 7: "Paper Soldiers" Nicholas Glossman
- Jan 8: "A Better Place To Be" Stephen Fredericks
- Jan 9: "The Lucky Ones" Lia Romeo
- Jan 10: "Ways To Be Happy" David Lee White
- Jan 11: "New York City 523" Joseph Gallo
- Jan 12: "Vatican Falls" Frank J. Avella
- Jan 13: "Gospel According to SB" Barsky Susan
- Jan 14: "In Real Life" Stacie Lents
- Jan 15: "It's A Beautiful Wound" Rich Orloff
- Jan 16: "A Certain Age" Laura Ekstrand
- Jan 17: "Five Husbands" Ben V. Marshall
For more information on the individual plays and playwrights and for tickets, please visit the theatre's Soundings page. [https://www.wtnj.org/soundings-reading-series]