Fan Voting Now Open For NBCUniversal's 9th Annual 'Tubey Awards'
NBCUniversal's TelevisionWithoutPity.com opens voting this week for the 9th Annual Tubey Awards, offering small screen viewers an opportunity to share their love, disdain and anything in between for the 2011-2012 television season.
Fans will make their opinions known in 80 categories including "Most Disappointing Season of a Previously Awesome Show," "New Series with the Most Wasted Potential" and "Guiltiest TV Pleasure." Shows vying for Tubey honors this year include popular award show contenders Glee, Mad Men, Game of Thrones and The Big Bang Theory, alongside fan-loved series sorely under-recognized by mainstream awards, such as Community, Revenge, Once Upon a Time and Fringe.
The one-of-a-kind Tubey Awards open a window into the minds of TV fanatics, offering voting on 800 nominees in 80 categories. This year's awards will feature 10 new categories culled from the minds of Television Without Pity die-hards, including "Favorite Show to 'Hate Watch,'" "Best Musical Moment on a Reality Show," and "Most Annoying Teenage Character."
"Each year, we strive to ensure that our Tubey Awards reflect how passionate fans consume TV. For example, the concept of 'hate watching' – being addicted to a show you love to hate – has become so prevalent this past year, thanks to certain shows, that we just had to create a new category for it," said Daniel Manu, Site Director of TelevisionWithoutPity.com. "Because they are by the fans, for the fans, the Tubey Awards comprise a real picture of the TV landscape not often reflected on traditional TV award scorecards."
While more traditional categories, such as "Favorite Actor," are part of the Tubeys, these awards are renowned for their more colorful categories. Highlights from this year's nominations include:
· "Favorite Show to 'Hate Watch'" nominees include Glee, Smash, True Blood and Jersey Shore
· Mad Men received 21 nominations, including the opposing "Best Returning Show" and "Most Overrated Show"
· Nominees for "Most Anticipated Shows of 2012-2013" include 1600 Penn, 666 Park Avenue, Revolution, Elementary and The New Normal
· Nominees for "Worst WTF Moment" include Amanda being pregnant with Jack's baby on Revenge, Joan sleeping with the Jaguar guy on Mad Men and Deb thinks she is in love with her brother on Dexter
· "Worst Payoff" nominees include Santana's coming-out storyline on Glee, who Barney is marrying on How I Met Your Mother and the finale of Desperate Housewives
· Couples up for "Best Non Romantic Relationship" include Emily & Nolan on Revenge, Don & Peggy on Mad Men, Troy & Abed on Community (last year's winner) and April & Ron on Parks and Recreation
· Nominees for "Best Scene-Stealing Supporting Character" include "Amy Farrah-Fowler"/Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory), "James Van Der Beek"/James Van Der Beek (Don't Trust the B--- in Apt. 23) and "Nolan Ross"/Gabriel Mann (Revenge)
For the first time ever, TelevisionWithoutPity.com will partner with three other native digital sites at NBCUniversal – Fandango, iVillage, and DailyCandy – to host exclusive, site specific Tubey categories reflective of their audiences. Fandango will feature "Summer Movie That Most Deserves a TV Spinoff," iVillage will run "Cutest Kid on Reality TV," and DailyCandy will host "TV Character With the Best Wardrobe and Style." Wetpaint.com will similarly participate and host "Sexiest Supernatural Character on TV." The categories on these sites will run in addition to the 80 categories hosted on TelevisionWithoutPity.com.
Each week from July 30-September 9, a batch of fresh categories will be unveiled and voters will have one week to cast their support for their favorite nominees. At the end of the 6-week voting period, 80 award winners will be announced in mid-September, a few days prior to the Primetime Emmy Awards.
Voting will take place at http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/tubeys/nominees.php.
With one of the most actively engaged fan communities on the web, TelevisionWithoutPity.com is the premiere internet destination for the discerning television "junkie." Providing witty, no-holds-barred episode recaps, daily blogs, galleries, video and fan forums about television's most popular dramas, comedies and reality shows, the site includes Talk Without Pity, a unique social media dashboard created exclusively for TV fans and also covers feature films and DVDs each day via its MoviesWithoutPity.com area. In 2010, Advertising Age magazine presented the site with the Media Vanguard Award for "The Best Place to Read About TV" and in 2011, the site won the Interactive Media Award for Outstanding Achievement in Television, presented by the Interactive Media Council.
About Entertainment and Digital Networks and Integrated Media: NBCUniversal's Entertainment & Digital Networks and Integrated Media division is comprised of the some of the industry's leading television and digital brands which include Telemundo, mun2, Bravo Media, Oxygen Media, Style, Sprout, ExerciseTV, TV One, iVillage, DailyCandy, Swirl, and Fandango. Additionally, the group includes Integrated Media, which spearheads the company-wide initiatives Green is Universal, Healthy at NBCU, Hispanics at NBCU and Women at NBCU.