My new high school is in a riot. The teens have gone NUTS.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So I moved to this little town in CT from NJ (sigh) and today we literally had a riot. We have senior speak-outs, and one kid wasn't allowed to read his because of the uncensored material. Well, he threw himself on the stage and began to read it. The whole auditorium exploded in applause when security was called to remove him.
So, the next period, students gathered in the lobby, blocked the hallways, read out his speech, chanted, screamed, and wouldn't go to class. The adults were shoved, student council representatives couldn't even speak. Basically, they all went CRAZY. Our class schedule has been revised because of all the chaos, and due to the lack of rationality, nothing is even happening.

Now personally? I read the essay, I loved it. Original idea, completely out of the box, bad word here or there...but basically not a bad essay at all. I can understand, though, where administration and even some students would consider it inappropriate. One of my teachers deemed it so inappropriate, a sophistacted, official newspaper wouldn't even print it.
I support people fighting for "rights" and what not. But when teenagers, most of whom have no idea what they're fighting for, disrupt and endanger school and students just for the sake of getting excited and a little heated and "sticking it to the man" (yes you are so cool...) I can't help but be disappointed that people are so thirsty for something exciting that they would jeapordize our school's reputation - not to mention the student who originally wrote the essay.

I'm writing this from a computer class. We WOULD be doing work but the teacher is currently indisposed so he can monitor the hallways.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds awesome--I almost got suspended for an essay--I say fight the power!

But I'm an agitator and I hate authority--give me any rule I'll break it...
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was the essay about Clay?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or Heath?
....but the world goes 'round
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does your computer have a sound card?
Sonic Youth, Teenage Riot
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There was a riot in my high school once. It was actually kind of terrifying. It was all in good fun at first, but then it got really dangerous. The state police had to come, etc. It made national news. Good times.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You know what, it was awsome, until you realize that the kids on either side of you screaming and denying authority have NO idea what his essay was even about.
If you're gonna fight for something, fine, but know a LITTLE bit about what you're talking about. Even if they were protesting the fact that he wasn't allowed to speak...but some aren't. They just don't want to go to class.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's hard to pick a side when we don't know anything about the essay except your description. In general, High school & college is the time for testing boundaries and rebelling.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"If you're gonna fight for something, fine, but know a LITTLE bit about what you're talking about."

Like people with yellow ribbon magnets?
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I don't have a copy next to me. Basically, it was about denouncing society forever, living purely for pleasure, "effing" school, etc... It was VERY interesting. The problem (besides the swear words) was that his analogies were considered violent and "too much".

Some kids tried calling the news and sending them the speech, so if that happens, I'll find the link.
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo, I'm sorry, I should have said that differently. By "fighting" I mean standing on the benches and screaming and swearing at someone who is genuinely trying to help, etc...
I think what you mentioned and what happened in my school are two completely different things.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wonder if the essay writer had referenced Herbert Marcuse's "Eros & Civilization"? Or Loverboy's "Workin' for the Weekend"?
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think protest is great, but why not protest an illegal war, the killing of civilians, the trashing of the constitution and our civil rights and the unprecedented use of torture by Americans rather than "denouncing society forever"?

I'm not sure I even know what that means.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that's because you're old.
Rosalind Profile PhotoRosalind Profile Photo
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't get it either.

Denouncing society IIiinnn society.
"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was that during segregation luv? Jk...

PJ--they'd protest the war if there was a draft
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hate hearing about schools who won't allow the freedom of expression.

Sure, the kid might've wrote some inappropriate material, but so what? You sit. You listen. If you don't like it, so what? You're still living. It won't kill you.

Sometimes, I hate the human race.

On another note, this reminds me of MEAN GIRLS.

"Oh, hell no! I did not leave the south side for this!"
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hah, it was in 2004. It was a "stick it to the man" kind of thing. The idea of protesting corrupt authority ended up in the wrong hands.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/31/08 at 01:51 PM
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not much of a riot. I've seen things a lot worse than that in 21 years of teaching.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually Namo, I was thinking more along the lines of...
Teenage Rampage.....WE! WANT! SWEET!!
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The essay was very similar to FIGHT CLUB, if that gives you a good idea.

I completely support a riot. Did I participate? Absolutely, I obtained a copy of his essay and made copies for the students to read (with the help of a wonderful teacher). But what started as a genuine protest that would have gotten us somewhere turned into a mass of idiotic kids screaming obscenities in their classrooms, not knowing AT ALL what they were screaming about.

The problem with the essay was that it asked the students to put themselves in certain situations that not only the school, but apparantly FEDERAL LAW deemed as inappropriate.
But come on. We may be young, irrational, and we may have a lot to learn. But we were all certainly old enough to handle what was going on in that essay. If the seniors can put on a senior show involving a LOT of gay jokes, why couldn't he have read his speech denouncing what everybody wants of him? That doesn't make much sense to me. My old school in Jersey was not nearly this strict.
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Denouncing society IIiinnn society."

that's Janeane Garofalo's entire washed up stand up act.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My high school was a riot also! You should've seen our prom!

re: My new high school is in a riot. The teens have gone NUTS.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That would have never happened if you'd just plugged it up.