Best Place to Get a Puppy

FOAnatic Profile PhotoFOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Best Place to Get a Puppy#1
Posted: 1/14/08 at 3:56pm
So, my first dog passed away about four years ago and a miss the heck out of him. I've been wanting to get a puppy for a while and I may be doing that this coming May. However, I don't want to get the same breed because, silly emotional me feels like he'd be replacing his old dog.

So, I'm not sure what breed I'm looking for. I used to have an Australian shepherd. I'm not looking for a small yippy dog and I don't want a huge monster either. I'm not big into labs because they just look too generic to me. I'm going for a medium sized dog thats not too docile nor too overactive.

I've heard only bad things about buying from puppy stores but, the problem is, if I don't have a particular breed I'm looking for, I can't go to breeders.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best places to buy a puppy?
"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#2
Posted: 1/14/08 at 3:58pm
Ivan and I found Shia through a breeder. He's an American Eskimo, but he's insane! If you're looking for a mellow dog, check out a Maltese. Ivan had two and he said they're really calm, and good dogs.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#2
Posted: 1/14/08 at 3:59pm
An animal shelter. Adopting an animal from a shelter is a great way to find a wonderful pet, and it's one of the kindest things you can do to help an animal that needs a good hope. Obviously puppies are extremely popular, so finding one from a shelter might take some work, but it's worth it. It sounds like a good option for you if you're not picky about breed particulars. Visiting shelters and meeting lots of dogs is also a good way to get a feel for different breed temperaments. Don't expect it to be a one-stop deal, though -- and don't discount older dogs, either!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 03:59 PM
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#3
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:00pm
Try a shelter! Any shelter should have a variety of breeds and ages, plus which you're doing a good deed. Failing that, a breeder is definitely better than a pet store.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#4
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:02pm
Try your local shelter! There are hundreds of thousands of dogs looking for homes at shelters right now and over 2 million dogs put to death each year because no one adopted them. Please don't have another dog bred, adopt one of the dogs longing for a good home.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#5
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:05pm
Pal Joey's house.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#6
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:05pm
I got my last two cats from the shelter and they are the sweetest things! Well behaved, they don't claw things, or spray.

Save an animal from a shelter!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#7
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:06pm
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy

Not to guilt you or anything but....

No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#8
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:06pm
Go to an animal shelter!! They are always the sweetest dogs!
kazacalo Profile Photokazacalo Profile Photo
kazacalo
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#9
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:08pm
Try petfinder.org I am a professional Pet Sitter & I have found Wheaton Terriers are a great medium sized dog for an apartment or a house. DO NOT buy from a Pet Shop. Once you decided what breed you want, do a search for breeders. Most of the puppy mills are in the midwest. Look at the breeders website & make sure they are home raised.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#10
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:09pm
At the Pound!

re: Best Place to Get a Puppy
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#11
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:11pm
We got our current cat from a shelter. He was miserable there and literally grabbed my BF as he walked by his cage and would not let him go. He brought him home and the cat has been THE BEST cat imaginable. And if he does misbehave, all we have to do is ask "Do you want to go back to the shelter?" and he snaps to!

When I think how close he came to being put down...well, don't get me started.
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#12
Posted: 1/14/08 at 4:12pm
Ohmigosh, I totally have the Pound Puppies jingle stuck in my head now.
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#13
Posted: 1/14/08 at 5:13pm
from a shelter <3

Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#14
Posted: 1/14/08 at 5:21pm
If you want a particular breed, there are animal rescue groups that focus on specific types of breeds.

Petfinders is also a great resource - many of the rescue groups post on that site.

Also, call your local vet and see if they have any suggestions of some groups who may have the kind of dog you are looking for.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#15
Posted: 1/14/08 at 5:22pm
"When I think how close he came to being put down...well, don't get me started."

That's the way I feel about Lovey and Mr. Howl! They are both so sweet and smart, how could ANYONE turn the over to the pound?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#16
Posted: 1/14/08 at 5:28pm
I would suggest to read A LOT about different breeds - some small dogs have great temperaments. Even if you're getting a mixed breed, having an idea of the breeds involved can give you some insight into the temperament, though of course this is no guarantee.

Of course breed-wise I would recommend Border Terriers. They are small, active, affectionate, yet love to cuddle up with you and be inside on a cold dreary day. You can occasionally find one in need of rescue.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#17
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:05pm
As Tootie would say, go with an orphalin at the orphalins home....

(otherwise known as the shelter). There are hundreds of loving babies there just waiting for you to walk in and give them the home they deserve. So why not?
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
MotorTink Profile PhotoMotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#18
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:08pm
shelter, adoption,

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!
FOAnatic Profile PhotoFOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#19
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:10pm
Puppies, though?

I don't want to sound mean or selfish but I really want to raise them from babies into adulthood. I love older dogs but it's hard for me to lose pets and it'd be really difficult to get a pet and then have it pass on in just a few years.
"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
MotorTink Profile PhotoMotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#20
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:11pm
yes, puppies. May not be new born, but 4 - 6 months probably.

Petfinder.com is a great tool.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#21
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:13pm
What about a dog that's a year or two old? It's not like the only dogs that end up in shelters are on their last legs. You can find a lot of wonderful younger adult dogs in shelters. You can also find puppies at shelters. It requires a little bit more patience because obviously puppies get scooped up very quickly since everybody wants them, but you'd be surprised how many abandoned litters end up at shelters. I would suggest setting aside a day to visit some shelters in your area -- or, if you don't want to go see what they have unless there are definitely puppies, call and ask if they have any. Shelters get calls like that all the time, trust me.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 08:13 PM
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#22
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:14pm
My cat Zorra was a kitten, and listed on petfinders (as well as being affiliated with a rescue group that went to a local pet store).

They held her for me until she was old enough to be fixed and adopted.

AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#23
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:26pm
i can't imagine anyone wanting to put my patches down.

when i went to look the first time, there was a whole litter of dutch babies. when i went back a few months later, only patches was left... they said no one wanted her beacuse she was mean re: Best Place to Get a Puppy

they put her next to me on the bench and she hopped in my lap and nuzzled me... the staff was like "you have to take that rabbit... she bites everyone else"

they were going to put her down but i got her instead.

i love her to death and i'm so glad i found her (or did she find me?)
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Best Place to Get a Puppy#24
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:32pm
Yep, just go to your local shelter. You'll be so glad you did!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien