People Who Are Afraid To Try Good Food...

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do you have that one friend or family member who just refuses to expand their horizons when it comes to food? You know the type:

People who think the Olive Garden is the pinnacle of Italian food.
People who order fries with everything (Especially at Mexican restaurants).
People who refuse to try any sort of Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian food.

Gah, it's uncool. Expand thy horizons, people!

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My boyfriend & I had dinner at a FABULOUS new Middle Eastern place. There was a man there eating a Hamburger.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 1/7/08 at 03:37 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are some people with mental disorders, such as OCD, who are caused a great deal of stress by even the thought of deviating from the very set in stone routines of their lives.

Thank gosh I'm not one of them, as my messy work area will attest.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I guess an uncool one. I just don't get into all the spices and everything. Funny story though, I did once go to a Chinese restaurant with some friends and asked for a beef and broccoli with no sauces or anything. Just steamed beef and broccoli. The chef came out of the kitchen to meet me because I was the very first person to ever order an authentic Chinese meal in his restaurant. My friends could not stop laughing that I, who hates foreign foods is the only one who actually likes real authentic Chinese food. LOL.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo that provides evidence to my theory that people who eat at Olive Garden are crazy.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't even start me on my uncle. I call him" eating retarded "(not out loud). He won't even try salad dressing. He orders cocktail sauce with his salad.

He only likes meat and potatoes. He can't find anything he likes in Italian restaurants. And that's the only ethnic one he'll go to. Oh-when we eat Chinese he has chow mein.

He won't admit he likes food flavored with garlic. If he sees a chunk of it in his dish, then he hates it.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mmmmm...garlic!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a brother who will not eat fruit, fruit juice, fruit sauce, fruit-flavored anything. The only exception to this is orange juice. Vegetables? Bring 'em on, he'll eat any vegetable. But he has never liked fruit (even as a baby). It's weird.

Updated On: 1/7/08 at 03:50 PM
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a friend who won't eat anything green. except candy. He eats a lot of candy. A LOT. he's 300 lbs., and refuses to eat anything considered healthy.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I need to watch what I say as I strongly believe you can tell A LOT about a person about what they will or won't eat.

But...I was out for Breakfast in my suburban small town where at the table NEXT to me a boy of maybe 8 placed his breakfast order: "I'll have the Eggs Benedict, with the sauce ON THE SIDE. I want the muffins UNbutttered, and in place of Hash Browns I'll have the fruit cup- not too much melon, please!" So many years of therapy ahead for that lil chap....
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How about people like me, who won't eat normal food but are all for exotic foods? I'll take super spicy Indian any day, but try to force a hamburger or spaghetti on me, and you'll regret it.
AudreyTwoTwo Profile PhotoAudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I enjoy eating various foods, but some foods I won't eat because they're spicy or they have tomatoes.
I will eat tomato sauce, drink tomato juice, but I won't eat an actual tomato. I don't like it for some reason.
The Best of Times is Now!
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am totally the person who goes to a fancy place for dinner and will order a glorified Cheeseburger and fries!!! As good as some of the more "exotic" food looks , and as much as I want to try and expand my pallet, I can't bring myself to do it
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo, I have to disagree with your assumption about OCD

"Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety." (website listed below)

OCD would affect HOW you eat, ie needing to perhaps clean your fork after every bite, but not really what you eat. Someone with OCD may count the pieces of spaghetta on their plate, or the number of dots on a dotted tablecloth, but eating say salad with no dressing, or not liking fruit is not a sign of OCD.

Also Cruel, you are making an assumption that someone eating a hamburger say at an Indian restaurant has never tried Indian food.....and there's really no way for you to know that.
I, for instance, don't like Indian food......and when I go out with friends who want to go to an indian restaurant, I have something else.
Does that make me OCD, nope.....

You are all equating likes and dislikes with a medical condition that has nothing to do with that.

OCD
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 1/7/08 at 04:53 PM
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've known people like that. I went to a Mexican restaurant with a family member who ordered a cheeseburger and fries.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
actually, people with ocd can have food aversion. they need everything to be the same all the time (the obsession) and they will do whatever it takes to have everything be the same (the compulsion), that can include eating the same thing every day or eating the same thing at a particular restaurant.

and then again, some people just dont want to try anything different for fear they wont like it (or maybe fear that they will like it?)
i took my dad out to dinner one year for his birthday at a local japanese restaurant. he ordered a steak.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was a strange child who hated pizza and would order club sandwiches everywhere that had them. This went on into my 20's. I am no longer like this. Really.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i wouldn't drink soda untill i was 12.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have found that a person's eating habits can tell you more about them than just the foods they like or don't like.

There are some people who are definitely not "foodies" (I hate that word but's apropos here). They don't care much for food, and eat to live only. I also know people who forget to eat and don't care!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait a minute.

We're all DIFFERENT!?

You mean, we're NOT all exact duplicates of one another!?

Are you kidding me!?

That's gotta be BAD!

DIFFERENT is BAD!
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/8/08 at 06:46 AM
Becky2 Profile PhotoBecky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm very obsessive compulsive, and I have the same meals every day. I will try new foods and deviate from my routine on occasions, but many times if I do, I feel a panic attack coming on.

My mother and her husband won't try organic foods. If it's too healthy, they won't touch it. I haven't figured out why yet.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a friend that won't eat cheese of any kind. I repulses him. He may have pizza once every 2 years.

I don't eat raw tomato or mushrooms. That can be a pain when ordering and I miss out on some good things because they can't take those ingredients out of some dishes. I also can't eat curry anymore. That upsets me. I love curry.
Just give the world Love.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
mattonstage, that's a great idea. I've never thought to do that.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have friends with compromised immune systems who won't eat organic food.......fearing it could hurt them
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956